Catching Pictures in the Air

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Funny how it's easier to make a crappy, rough, piece of plastic smooth, than to make a smooth piece rough. Yet we always complain about the rough bits!

How true!

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Whose getting hanged?

Early carol singer. Pour encourager les autres.....

• Like 3

I have a personal theory about that laddery thing on the ceiling -  that it's actually a ladder.

No - hear me out, could it be a fold down or detachable ladder to enable access to the top of the aircraft for ground servicing/refueling etc when away from base?  Seems an odd place to stow it, but when the hold is full of paras or cargo it is out the way.

Someone get my coat ready...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I have a personal theory about that laddery thing on the ceiling -  that it's actually a ladder.

Another way of approaching the question is to ask what else needs to be shaped like a ladder? And I certainly don't feasibly know what else that might be. Unless of course it is a Ladder of Divine Ascent and was placed there by Fairchild for strictly metaphorical reasons...

https://books.google.ie/books?id=zNV8BgAAQBAJ&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=what+else+is+shaped+like+a+ladder&source=bl&ots=n5MBxkDjLm&sig=ZsqDLF3Om3Vx7wQ_2irERR6St6Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidzf7oh9zTAhUBBcAKHWZGA5UQ6AEIXzAR#v=onepage&q=what else is shaped like a ladder&f=false

:think:

• Like 2

Or...it's for the paras to hang on to while waiting to jump out....so they don't fall and hurt themselves.

Ian

• Like 2

Just now, 71chally said:

Youre Google search history must be summit else!

Think you solved it earlier James!

P.34 of the Aerofax volume has a shot looking upwards into that region at the rear and tucked away on the picture caption describes a maintenance ladder stored on the ceiling for 'access to the upper portion of the aircraft while on the ground'

This is the only reference I can find anywhere!

Tony

• Like 2

Sounds good to me, I notice across various pictures that sometimes it's fitted, sometimes not.

Would be a fairly logical place to have to ascend the rear of the aircraft with the load doors open.

I'm trying to think of something witty now but I'm getting looks!

Anyway, cracking results with the interior detailing, shame youre going to have the doors closed!

• Like 1

The lagging is looking great Tony. I think I preferred the wrinkles on the mule however :blush:. Not sure if you were going for the same finish as the test but the wrinkles seem flatter and less defined on the final piece, If that was what you're going for then happy days :). Just my opinion and I do tend to be wrong a lot. 

Either way it looks good. Are you going to paint the lagging parts white?

Great things happening on this build.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Johnny. :lol:

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:27, Martian Hale said:

You should be ashamed Sir! Such a fine looking aeroplane deserves much better treatment than that! I shall be building mine as a seaplane variant and quite possibly a seaplane target tug one to boot.

Disgusted of Mars

What ??

A seaplane target tug Blackburn Roc :rofl:

No !! You will not dare ??

Target tug ok but seaplane ???

I knew they have been used as a triple A battery.

Will make this one, but sea plane target tug...

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Or...it's for the paras to hang on to while waiting to jump out....so they don't fall and hurt themselves.

They are rather delicate creatures aren't they? :giles:

.

.

.

.

:bounce:

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

Sounds good to me, I notice across various pictures that sometimes it's fitted, sometimes not.

No two reference pictures the same? Perish the thought! :lol:

Luckily there were publicity stills of the crew inside the rear of Pelican 9 taken immediately upon landing with the Discoverer 14 film capsule and that only shows the small ladder on the port side, the longer one isn't there.

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I think I preferred the wrinkles on the mule however

John - they were rather more photogenic weren't they? Unfortunately the panels of insulating material across ther roof in the C-119 were streteched out rather more taught across the ceiling, akin to the way leather is stretched and pinned with  buttons on an armchair or sofa. I must admit to being more taken with the mule style myself but had I done so, I'd have had to explain to the forum why I'd done up the interior as 'Milady's Boudoir'! (I bet @perdu recognizes the Aunt Dahlia reference...;))

12 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

don't they know its still early May?

'Do they know it's Christmas-time at all?'

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Presumably aircrew had to be explicitly ordered to aim at the target and not the tug....:o

Only a modest increment to report as the Triffid home planet polytunnel is in such a neglected state I need to go make it fit for my lettuce people. 

Tarting up the boudoir mainly, giving a bit more visual variety to the surface and adding some reinforcing strips along the edges of the respective ionsulation panels:

34345092062_8627b6df82_c.jpg

I also hit upon a moreaccurate way of matching the appearrance of the lights so redid the back four, as these will be the most visibleof the set at the end:

34505580535_a906241c70_c.jpg

Essentially the same 2mm foil disks pricked from behind to produce a small light-bulb; the difrence this time around is that when gluing, iof you press them into place at the centre using a 1mm hole punch, this produces a rather acccurate concave dimple around the bulb, as per the real thing.

That's all been sealed with a coat of Klear now, plus I've finished off the small separate section from right at the back, adding the square holes for the ladder mount to go up into later on:

34345094202_e83ac685d3_c.jpg

The wrinkles on that back part look more pronounced than the rest but they'll diminsh as the glue dries out and shrinks back.

Next tasks over the course of the week are to knock up the various roof details i.e., brackets to mount the paratainer rail down the centre, a couple of oxygen tanks, plus the aforementioned ladder stub for the port side. There is some framing/station structure to add above the roof to be visible through the central portion of the ceiling of course, plus what look like a few runs of control cabling (I think that's what they are but without a maintenance manual can't be sure) that I reckon 0.4mm piano wire wil be perfect for. You can see the kind of stuff I mean here in this medevac shot:

3211185337_f2e73aa129_b.jpg

Image credit: Brian Wolfe

Oh. One other thing. I found a .pdf guide that Italeri put out with their other 'C' version of this aircraft. The photos ain't great in many cases but there are some very good reproductions of maintenance drawings - station and spar details provided in this are particularly good (though too late for me in some  if I'd had this at the start of the build I wouldn't have needed to try all that jiggery-pokery with desperspectivizing interior photos:rant:)  There is in particular a very handydrawing showing the structure of the beaver-tail dooor and associated mounting. You can't have failed to notice that I haven't mentioned that part of the aircraft at all as the whole thing will need to be scrach built and will be a major sub-project of this build. Very charmingly Italeri suggest in this publication that  trying to make a 'J' from their kit is 'a major undertaking'! Ho, and indeed, hum...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

15 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

What ??

A seaplane target tug Blackburn Roc :rofl:

No !! You will not dare ??

Target tug ok but seaplane ???

I knew they have been used as a triple A battery.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Well that almost settles it! Bear witness the the guy dared me not to do it! One of the worst things you can do is to dare this Martian not to do something so when the thread does eventually appear you can all blame Corsaircorp. In reality the only thing that has been holding me back s the want of a spare set of beaching gear from the Tamiya Swordfish floatplane kit. I can't really afford to buy a kit just for the few parts I need.

Martian

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Well that almost settles it! Bear witness the the guy dared me not to do it! One of the worst things you can do is to dare this Martian not to do something so when the thread does eventually appear you can all blame Corsaircorp. In reality the only thing that has been holding me back s the want of a spare set of beaching gear from the Tamiya Swordfish floatplane kit. I can't really afford to buy a kit just for the few parts I need.

Martian

Really wanna see it done...

Please gents, let's find a beaching gear for the Martian.

Such a good will cannot be tamed by a missing part, will look in my stock..

A Blackburn Roc seaplane and target tug, no one can (or will) miss it

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I've the testors S6B and Ryan PT-20 these are too little I guess ??:rofl:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Please gents, let's find a beaching gear for the Martian.

Such a good will cannot be tamed by a missing part, will look in my stock..

A Blackburn Roc seaplane and target tug, no one can (or will) miss it

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I've the testors S6B and Ryan PT-20 these are too little I guess ??:rofl:

But wait, mine are 1/48, may be ????

CC

• Like 1

The beaching gear on the Roc was identical tot he Swordfish. The usual type of American gear being of completely different appearance. But if anyone could help, it would be great!

Martian 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

... polytunnel is in such a neglected state I need to go make it fit for my lettuce people. 

You grow lettuce people in a polytunnel? How very Doctor Who...!! :winkgrin:

:dinosaur: wants to know do they taste like chicken?

K

• Like 4

Nice work Tony - those lights look very realistic, good job. 

Good luck with the fiddly bits :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Have a lovely sunny Sunday.

2 long cool G&Ts out t'back and I had to come back to the coolth of the bench for a bit. Head buzing and wanted to get a few more fiddly bits under the belt before the weeks starts...(We desperately need a gin & tonic emoticon in the forum toolkit...) Hope you're day is going ok as well.:thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

In reality the only thing that has been holding me back s the want of a spare set of beaching gear from the Tamiya Swordfish floatplane kit.

Seeing what's at stake I shall be keeping an earnest eye out for floats for you Martian.

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hear hear!

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

wants to know do they taste like chicken

No.  But my chicken-people do little T! Lazy git that I am I still haven't got to the poly tunnel. The spirit of Monty Don is weak in this one...

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Good luck with the fiddly bits

Thanks Ced. I've been at it like a fiddler crab the last hour - see below...

51 minutes ago, Sprueloose said:

Lovely work. Looking forward to the beaver tail doors!

Thanks Terry. Once I've got the interior kitted-out I think some judicious drawing out of the door to work out what's needed....

Pray do not over-excite yourselves brethren, but I've added some mountings for the central rail:

34124763040_f92c9e0a9b_c.jpg

0.8mm tubing squeezed in flat-head pliers to produce a mating surface for the rail, the the tubular ends bent over at 90 degrees and inserted into holes drilled into the ceiling. One each for back and front of the rail. There seems to be another mounting point halfway down the fuselage as well, so I've added this out of scrap PE:

34510211305_a789d59c53_c.jpg

Closer in:

34349447842_bd4ca6fb8c_c.jpg

I also needed to work out exactly whereabouts a couple of oxygen bottles are mounted up on the ceiling over the fuel tanks on the starboard side, so it seemed wise to put floor and celing together for dry fit to check that the overall look and scale is still ok:

34124759790_afc04b741b_c.jpg

The bottles themselves are made from kit sprue, rounded off on the lathe with a curved chisel and nail file:

34510212765_185e2098b6_c.jpg

The mounting plates are just canniblaized Barracuda wing racks that seemed to match the profile of the relevant parts on this kit:

34124761910_7323e6eeca_c.jpg

I need to chop the ends of those racks down so that they are flush with the edges of the tanks one the glue has dried and add a bit of piping around the base; both tanks and rail I'll leave off attaching to the ceiling until after painting the interior to avoid any making unecessary work in terms of masking off parts. In reference photos those tanks have bright yellow uper surfaces and bright blue undersides - I wonder does that have any significance as colour coding?

That's it for today - wishing you all a pleasant evening.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

The floats are sorted Tony, I converted them from Swordfish floats from the old SMER kit, the Roc floatplane used Blackburn Shark floats. I need to find someone who didn't use their beaching gear and is happy to part with it. Otherwise the project is good to go.

Martian

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Otherwise the project is good to go

Is the beaching gear just those bolt on curved legs with wheels on Martian?

top.jpg

Would some brass tube, locomotive wheels and a bit of soldering answer for a scratched-up solution if you can't obtain a spare set?

• Like 7

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh. One other thing. I found a .pdf guide that Italeri put out with their other 'C' version of this aircraft. 

Is there a link to that Tony, sounds interesting.

A while back I found an engine document which strangely had tech diagrams of the C-119 in it, keep trying to find it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Is the beaching gear just those bolt on curved legs with wheels on Martian?

top.jpg

Would some brass tube, locomotive wheels and a bit of soldering answer for a scratched-up solution if you can't obtain a spare set?

That's the ones. The problem with scratching them is twofold. Firstly; getting all four units identical so that the model sits right and secondly: the wheels have a very unusual hub pattern.

Still, I am sure that if I wait long enough, something will turn up.

Martian Micawber

• Like 3

Looking great Tony. After you paint the ceiling what glue do you use to attach the oxygen tanks?  Just wondering for my own edification. 

Terry

• Like 1