Catching Pictures in the Air

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

My fault chaps

oh thanks!  So now you decide to give us the whole story. Now that you've enraptured us with snippets and bits and stories and scratching and stuff.... Now you have us addicted and need to mainline on bits of floor and assorted hardware.... Now the full picture in full techni-B&W is displayed for all and sundry to see and there's me left looking like a right heid the ba'   who doesn't know his hinge from a good shaft.

I'll give you fair warning now.... if you go building that thing back to front again, I'm sayin' nowt !    Nowt I tell ye !

2. Hydraulic actuators for retrieval poles.

3. Cable tray.

You sure that's right ?   2 & 3 look like blu-tack to me.

(btw, I think you're right hendie that these must have been a way of fine-tuning the yaw of the actuators)

ah... credibility party restored !

:whistle:

(anyone else hate the fact that you can't expand the emoticons palette any more ?)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I should have had the courtesy to acknowledge this earlier Crisp. The Long Good Friday is on a par with Shakespeare as far as I'm concerned. That and the BBC Edge of Darkness series remain indelible visions of the 80s for me.

"Wot's it to be?  Frostbite or verbals?"

"Razors!  Cut 'im!"

"Gentlemen; you are looking at the site of the 1988 London Olympic Games..."

I never get tired of this film - apart from Spinal Tap, I probably quote it more than any other...  Plus it has Helen Mirren in it - what's not to like?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hendie said:

oh thanks!  So now you decide to give us the whole story.

Fear naught dear hendie. I'm scundered a bit for posting such references by the fact that the only decent shots taken on the inside of of 'J's on these missions are contained within NRO publications, meaning I'm somewhat reluctant to antagonize any organization that has friends with Reapers, let alone copyright lawyers...

Here's a link to their relevant page with the declassified publications if you want to see such photos in greater detail yourself:

http://www.nro.gov/history/csnr/corona/

The two publications I've relied on heavily in this build for interior visuals are the CORONA Star Catchers and Intelligence revolution:1960 documents.

To gain a sense of the aircraft interior spatially, as well as certain operational procedures, the only moving-image references of worth are:

Low-resolution but valuable.

10 hours ago, hendie said:

2 & 3 look like blu-tack to me.

Blu-tacktuators! (Still classified!)

7 hours ago, Sprueloose said:

A most fascinating project Baron and fun to watch. Brilliant work!

Thank-you sir :thumbsup2:

• Like 6

I've gotta get away from the rear end of this aircraft for a while; I'm starting to obsess.

Idly fondling an actuator collar earlier, I just decided 'Sod it, these still look too bloody big.' and without considering the implications, snapped them into pieces.

I won't bore you with a repeat of whole tedious procedure, simply to relate that after 90 minutes oddly calm activity, I had a new set of smaller collars/cuffs, call them what you will:

34025269711_89ef73c552_c.jpg

Old on the left, new on the ri-....well you can see the difference for yourself. I put Boxcar Bernard in shot just to give a 1/72 figure for scale.

Here's Bernard now, swooning in gratitude at the newly re-scaled and re-built items:

34156066465_8f22a6df9b_c.jpg

And finally, here he is symbolically turning his back on the past and facing a brighter tomorrow with his new and rather more accurate equipment:

34025270761_393a38514b_c.jpg

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You are deliberately setting out to get me muddled again! (not that it takes much these days!)

Martian

Nor me too Martian.

Good to see that you are employing people with disabilities there Tony.

The one arm bandit taking close supervision of the replacement parts manufacture..

Simon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The one arm bandit taking close supervision of the replacement parts manufacture..Simon.

Not really a substitute for Maureen is he?

Martian the Disappointed

• Like 2

Love the new cuffs. I imagine that one could get frustrated after noticing a small discrepancy like that. But for me at least, the most fun is the building of these little details and the opportunity to improve a part is just a way of extending the pleasure! Perhaps that explains that odd sense of calm that enveloped you as you followed the dictates of your inner critic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You are deliberately setting out to get me muddled again! (not that it takes much these days!)

Not muddlio setiliberately atagainall Matrian!

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The one arm bandit taking close supervision of the replacement parts manufacture..

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

...also known as Hopalong...

I suppose it's politically incorrect to bring out that vintage 70s cockney bus-conductor joke?

Probably it is...

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Not really a substitute for Maureen is he?

Not even Joanna Lumley, Kate Bush or Helen Mirren could hold a candle to her.

(I just know some swine is going to find something filthy in that pure and fragrant sentiment...):doh:

48 minutes ago, Sprueloose said:

the opportunity to improve a part is just a way of extending the pleasure! Perhaps that explains that odd sense of calm that enveloped you as you followed the dictates of your inner critic.

Pleasure?:hmmm:Possibly. Masochism? More than likely. :lol: But I do know exactly what you mean Sprueloose about the inner critic. It's a harsh voice...

Right. last little bit today whilst we're on a roll. Well, rolling rollers on the lathe again:

34160861265_b4dee61bb7_c.jpg

2.1mm. Cylindrical. Winch deck for the attachment to:

34030016091_9c6475524e_c.jpg

The mounts to hold it are just a couple of parts cut-down from a Barracuda torpedo cradle:

34160862105_e5411db7c9_c.jpg

On the actual aircraft the nylon line comes off the drum and is fed under that roller, and from there proceeds into the cable tray (omitted here), whence it's formed into a complex zigzag that I look forwards attempting to emulate not.

One final nugget that may help others intent on worrying bits of plastic in a bead lathe like this. At this kind of scale, I've found from experimentation that the second-lowest setting on mine (15V) is the most controllable one to use with plastic. On such potentially flexible pieces of rod, with a lower rotation count the end of the plastic furthest from the chuck has less propensity so be distorted outwards (centrifugal/centripetal force?) away from the tailstock quill.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Not even Joanna Lumley, Kate Bush or Helen Mirren could hold a candle to her.

(I just know some swine is going to find something filthy in that pure and fragrant sentiment...):doh:

And would that person be a certain Ced of this parish?

Nice work BTW.

Martian

• Like 3

Great stuff Tony - you need to be happy with these bits after all the time and effort. Amazing work. :) 

I have a stirring in my grey matter regarding something that unravels in a nice zig zag fashion but I can't put my hand on it... it's nylon I think. I'll try harder, sorry.

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Oi! I resemble that remark :D The only thoughts in my mind regarding lovely ladies and candles relate to subdued lighting, some chilled champagne and not waking up before the good bits.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've gotta get away from the rear end of this aircraft for a while; I'm starting to obsess.

here he is symbolically turning his back on the past and facing a brighter tomorrow with his new and rather more accurate equipment

It's always a good idea to get away from the rear end of anything, especially if you start to obsess......

And who wouldn't face a brighter future with, more accurate equipment!

The new equipment certainly looks the parts, sorry, part.....so smaller IS better!

Ian

• Like 4

What a catch up! :)

I had a good nights sleep half way through too. Loved the dry fit explination of where everything goes, I'd forgotten about the little toilet. :toilet: The new thingy holder thingys (technical) look great :yahoo:, where did that poor man's foot get to? Surlely you don't need to glue that bit on? Or can you get some lush Brassin brogues for our happy chappie?

Have yourself a great weekend, I'll try and keep up while I'm away.

Johnny Holibobs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Right. last little bit today whilst we're on a roll. Well, rolling rollers on the lathe again:

from what I'm seeing, it looks like that little lathe is far more capable than I first imagined. - which is great, 'cos I'd have felt really bad if you had squandered some hard earned spondoolies on a boat anchor.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Parish the thought! :lol: In fairness to his EminenCed, there are several Pretenders to the Crown of Fnaar on this forum...

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Its good, it's all good here

15v

hmmm

yet another number to forget

Cheers Bill. :thumbsup2: I wonder what voltage my brain runs on? Some days it seems to have a highly variable speed control....

19 hours ago, CedB said:

I have a stirring in my grey matter regarding something that unravels in a nice zig zag fashion but I can't put my hand on it... it's nylon I think.

I'm sensing something 80s and in Lycra! ;)

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It's always a good idea to get away from the rear end of anything, especially if you start to obsess......

And who wouldn't face a brighter future with, more accurate equipment!

The new equipment certainly looks the parts, sorry, part.....so smaller IS better!

What was I saying about Pretenders to the Crown earlier? There's been a coup at the Palace of Entendre!

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

where did that poor man's foot get to

Limb donor. See Barracuda Mo. The non-thumbs-up arm....:o

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

When I saw the last couple of pics I thought I was looking at the aft deck of a cable laying ship!

Excellent work, and masterly skill with that there lathe!

Thanks James. :thumbsup2: I'm suprised the Soviets never tried aerial cable laying from an Ektranoplan - they seemed to do everything industrial in bulk!

1 hour ago, hendie said:

from what I'm seeing, it looks like that little lathe is far more capable than I first imagined. - which is great, 'cos I'd have felt really bad if you had squandered some hard earned spondoolies on a boat anchor.

I must put aside some time over the weekend to do a proper post about it over in your lathing thread in 'Other Tools' hendie. Some great references there already!

I've done a little work on sorting a roller for above the cable drum but nothing dramatic enough to warrant a visual update. TBH I'm feeling quite sleepy from sea air this evening - we took the day off and dragged the lads out to a secluded beach down on the N. side of Galway Bay. It's been largely a cold wind and grey all Easter here, so were glad to catch an hour or two of sun. We took the camping stove down as well and cooked hot bacon rolls and coffee on the shore. Yum!

Here's Mrs. B. glamming up the rocks looking over towards the Burren:

33336766474_3f36055a4c_b.jpg

And the youngest of our two Baronlets annoying marine-life with a net:

33336775204_1826fcaf51_b.jpg

These inlets are ace places for snorkelling in the summer, loads of  young flatfish and the odd pollack further out, plus fat prawns that take off like torpedoes at the slightest hint of danger. Now I've got older and feel the cold more I've had to trade up from a 'shortie' to a full wetsuit for this carry-on; if nothing else it makes me feel like Anthony Hopkins coming out of the water at the start of When Eight Bells Toll....

• Like 12

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

We took the camping stove down as well and cooked hot bacon rolls and coffee on the shore. Yum!

Great minds.... on a similar vein, I made two bottles of Atholl Brose this week and took them in to work today for a 3 - 5 project meeting with about half a dozen colleagues (thankfully, one of the most fun teams I've had the pleasure to work with)

Both bottles were gone by about 4 and by 5 we had some of the best ideas ever conjured up for product development :dog::elephant::innocent:

• Like 2