Catching Pictures in the Air

Getting better was better than getting on with this just for now.         ;)

Drink plenty, just be careful of what

Headaches and visual jaggedery causes wobbly lines when you're drawing.

• Like 3

Reminds me of the tale of a high ranking and his aide-de-camp visiting the sick bay:

"What are you in for lad?" he asks the first patient.

"Piles Sir" comes the reply

"I see"he says,"what's the treatment for that?"

"Wire brush Sir,twice daily"

"Very good"say's the high ranking,"And what's your ambition?"

"To get well and back to the fighting Sir"says the patient

"Excellent son,excellent" says Sir and moves onto the next bed.

"What are you in for lad?" he asks the second patient.

"Piles Sir" comes the reply

"I see,you too eh"he says,"what's the treatment for that?,same as him"pointing to the first bed

"Yes Sir,wire brush Sir,twice daily"

"To get well and back to the fighting Sir"says the patient

"Excellent son,excellent" says Sir and moves onto the last bed.

At the third bed he asks

"What are you in for lad?" to the the last patient

"Laryngitus Sir" comes the whispered reply

"I see"he says,"and what's the treatment for that?"

"Wire brush Sir,twice daily"

"To get hold of that wire brush before those other two do Sir"......................

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 9

Evening chaps. I've missed ye all over the last few days but much appreciated the banter. My thanks. :thumbsup:

Without further ado an update on the interior. Here'sthe kit floor and my new overlay tested for fit:

33604249796_d37d1a5828_c.jpg

That's ok so. Onto the next part then which is to mark out the general floor arrangement:

33261016750_acff97224c_c.jpg

I had Martian's wise words in my head about over-thinking things before getting down to this part, worrying somewhat that I'd burned-out a little on the planning. Tedious though it was I'm glad at this stage to have done that intensive research  on structure and layout however, as it meant I could just build pleasurably now with a generally good idea of what needed to go where. 

You can see in the above sketched outlines that there is a central 'tray' feature recessed into the centre-line of the floor. On recovery operations this had the capture line coiled snake-like along the whole length of that tray. Along with a calibrated brake on the winch, this arrangement of the cable helped decelerate the snagged capsule in such a manner so as to avoid ripping the chute and lines, and so losing the payload. From reference photos I've also clarified the the forward fuel tank arrangement towards the cargo bulkhead didn't extend the entire width of the aircraft, but had a walkway space left on the port side to grant access to the flight deck.

Again from photos I noticed that the stations don't go straight down onto the floor but instead meet a kind of box girder that runs the length of the aircraft, added here out of black plasticard:

33604247646_97c8b4918d_c.jpg

It's important to add that, otherwise the stations would go into the raised deck structure that you can see cut out now below:

33604246946_749c928d80_c.jpg

Those two outer sections then had part of the floor at the rear cut out in order to provide recesses into which the hydraulic arms for the capture poles are mounted, and then some platicard supportsto raise them from the kit floor:

33261019300_c52f8851be_c.jpg

On the actual aircraft these raised walkways were made from a steel framework overlaid with plywood. Note also that the raised deck doens't do all the way back to the rear edge of the aircraft, as there are a set of rollers to be added.

It was necessary to build that much of the floor first in order to establish a vertical dimension between floor and ceiling for the addition of the stations. I managed to get the starboard side done this evening;

33604248976_5d64473361_c.jpg

My initial plan for fabricating an elegant lattice for the stations that could just be slipped into place proved immediately utopian when I discovered that on the kit (I don't know about the actual aircraft), the vertical floor/ceiling measurement decreases slightly from front to rear of the aircraft. This, along with the irregular spacing of the stations meant measuring, cutting and gluing each one into place on an individual basis. As you can't get a ruler inside the fuselage, a pair of dividers was the best method of measuring the separation.

33261021240_283136068e_c.jpg

I'll have a crack at the corresponding job on the port side tomorrow.

Once it's clear the stations work fit-wise with the floor and ceiling on both sides we can start some of the horizontal detailing. The portholes also need masking on both sides so that will be a chance to try out my new punch set on some Tamiya tape.

Glad to be back in the game; I hope you're having a good weekend so far?

:bye: Tony

• Like 18

The same from me Tony. Good to see you back :)

Thats a substantial start on the interior framework and floor . Somehow I don't think this build is going to take as long as the Barra, event though the aircraft is bigger. The forward planning here is helping you fairly gallop along.

All best regards

TonyT

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I really must start a WIP!

Yes. Yes you should!:lol:

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great to see you back at the bench Tony.

Lots of scratching going on .

Cheers Simon.:thumbsup2:

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Welcome back, and a nice bit of progress too!

It feels good to be moving forwards again Ian; every build seems to have its own momentum and periods of anxiety when there's been nothing happening for a few days I find. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Glad you're feeling more chipper Tony. The shot with the light coming through the port holes is amazing. :yahoo:

A very 'This is the voice of the Mysterons' moment there wasn't it?...:lol:

14 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

That looks like a good start to the interior detail

Cheers Gondor. I'm content now that I understand enough of what's going on inside there to start bunging bits in with cavalier abandon....

13 hours ago, rob85 said:

Nice to see you back at it and with a great start to the interior detail. Nice work Tony 

Thanks for that Rob. It's funny how much you can miss sticking bits of plastic together isn't it? Not an enthusiasm that's always easy to communicate to the non-plastic adhering members of society...

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The same from me Tony. Good to see you back :)

Thats a substantial start on the interior framework and floor . Somehow I don't think this build is going to take as long as the Barra, event though the aircraft is bigger. 

Ceers TT! It's beginning to feel that way a little bit isn't it? I'm conscious though that time gained on the construction may be paid back on the paint stage later, with all that metallic fun to be had.

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Good preparation here Tony, it will serve you well as the build progresses.

You're exactly right Martian. It has helped immensely being able to visualize interior elements in relation to each other. The Star Catchers publication I put the link up to earlier in the thread has been the most useful guide of all in this respect, especially some of the verbal descriptions.

6 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Good to have you back Tony. Planning looks good. You'll be surprised how effective your punch is for cutting circular masks - windows, wheels etc. You'll never look back.

Cheers Tomo. You are absolutely right:

32816614204_017b47f6ba_c.jpg

How did I live without such tools?:lol: 3mm diameter seems to answer for this lot:

33530188511_1242a90751_c.jpg

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

what they all said! :thumbsup: :dinosaur:

Me & him

Eeyoop you two! Nice to be back. Has Little T grown since I was away?:hmmm::lol:

Right. On with the briefing. Port-side got it's quota of stations in first thing this morning:

32816618314_2374c36dd2_c.jpg

A quick dry-fit with roof and floor in situ to check heights and all seems well:

33275629160_81c6817e45_c.jpg

BTW, I found out what the right-hand (curtained) door on the forward cargo bulkhead leads to: la toilette...Can't imagine that was much fun on the flight deck above during a hot long haul Pacific mission after the cargomaster had been on the chili....Looks smart enough in a lateral view anyhow so we can move on:

33275631320_0f3cf16c27_c.jpg

Nextly I remembered that I had to shave a couple ofraised lines off of the kit floor moulding so that the raised recovery decking could lay flush:

33530188001_25f5bce5f9_c.jpg

A simple wood-chisel sufficed in this instance. The last major task today was to add longerons to both sides:

32816615374_36f8a805a3_c.jpg

I may consider buying shares in Slater's given that a packet of microstrips never leaves my bench these days.

33530189471_6429e257c1_b.jpg

One of the useful functions of these oblique shots is how they never fail to show up any of those stations that haven't been completely glued to follow the inward curve of the fuselage: there's a couple up for'ard in the above shot that I've made good since this was taken.

That'll do for this weekend. I need to regroup over the start of the week and work out the next sequence of tasks. Another blast of primer on that interior would probably be a good idea as well. 

A sunny afternoon here so off to get some photons into the bones. I managed to cut the back lawn earlier pursued by two madly-sifting ducks intent on rooting out slugs so intend sitting out with a book and inhaling the righteous aromas of cut sward. Altogether now...

:bye: Tony

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

'Ee's 'ere. Wire brushing,80's production paper sanding and pan camouflaging done, we're back in action.

You're incorrigible old top, absolutely incorrigible! I shall have to inform the Wine Committee! :lol:

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

The interior is looking fantastic Tony, and brilliant use of the punch set.

Here's hoping the chili was wasn't ready in time for departure.

My biggest worry now on this build Cookie is going to be a lack of circular things that need masking. :wacko:

There's nothing in my written references about crew diet on these missions but they were burly looking lads some of 'em. Maybe they only got fed if they brought a capsule safely back....:hmmm:

A final snippet now as t'sun sets on the top field:

33280017780_36795072f5_c.jpg

I call this composition: Grey Plane Painted Grey on a Grey Tray on Grey Stones..Seized by a strange compulsion to start a game of noughts and crosses on that interior....

• Like 15

I think you will find that the Farley Fruitbat XXXXIV were fed Chili for add propulsion (See other thread somewhere on this forum.).

She is a tall bird compared to some.

All in all, not looking to bad Tony.

Simon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Seized by a strange compulsion to start a game of noughts and crosses on that interior

Can I start? Top left X.

Nice composition... reminiscent of 'Black cat in a coal cellar', one of the finest works of the 20th century. The juxtaposition of the soft fuselage outlines with the harsh, might I say 'brutal', internal structures complements the contrast between's man aeronautical achievements and the perpetual existence of the natural environment as represented by the stones.

I thought I was feeling a bit better but I think I need another lie down...

Great work on the interiors Tony and I'm glad you're feeling better. :) 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice composition... reminiscent of 'Black cat in a coal cellar', one of the finest works of the 20th century. The juxtaposition of the soft fuselage outlines with the harsh, might I say 'brutal', internal structures complements the contrast between's man aeronautical achievements and the perpetual existence of the natural environment as represented by the stones.

I thought I was feeling a bit better but I think I need another lie down...

I think you missed out 'existential' somewhere in there Ced....isn't it the law to include it in such learned posts...? :P

Keith

PS Tony, :dinosaur: possibly is looking a little larger, as he's been snacking on ice cream vendors again - someone called Mr. H. Dazs? Must get him a stronger lead...

• Like 4

Looking very neat and tidy on this sunny afternoon. Lovely bit o' progress. Strange you mentioned slugs but my girls seemd to zone in on every slug in the run when I let them out this morning. Must taste sweeter with that extra hour. :lol:

• Like 1