1/48th Firefly T.1 trainer- Belcher Bits Conversion with Grand Phoenix Kit- RCN.

Hiya Folks,

This is the first kit that I have started in 2017 and was one that I was looking forward to building as soon as the conversion set arrived from Mike Belcher of Belcher Bits in Canada.  The conversion set enables the T.1 or T.2 variants of the Firefly to be built from the Grand Phoenix or AZ Models kits of the standard Firefly Mk.I and my WIP can be seen here;

The model wears the markings of 743 NAS, Royal Canadian Navy based at Dartmouth in 1948,...... the aircraft did wear small blue maple leaf markings inside the red of the roundels at some later stage but as I did not have any available I had to leave these off. It was finished in Trainer Yellow using the Humbrol rattle can of the same colour and here it is;

DSCF9793_zpsu8gzbh8z.jpg

DSCF9794_zpsn36wxh01.jpg

DSCF9796_zpsp7vto3ii.jpg

DSCF9795_zps6okr1kcj.jpg

DSCF9811_zpsrszu8nlr.jpg

DSCF9800_zpssymiespk.jpg

DSCF9815_zpseuugzi3r.jpg

DSCF9809_zps7obmagaa.jpg

DSCF9812_zps8hm66nni.jpg

DSCF9814_zpsxmxfx6lf.jpg

DSCF9816_zpsotx87v6m.jpg  

DSCF9803_zpsohc6hzxk.jpg

DSCF9798_zpseeikceaw.jpg

All the best

Tony

PS- It now joins my Royal Canadian Navy Firefly FR.1;

DSCF7258_zpsgysfjs3x.jpg

And,.......Seafire 15;

Seafire%2015_zpsr6ambvk6.jpg

I can feel a RCN Harvard and Tracker coming on later this year! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 38

I always like to see a Firefly model and you have done a really nice job on this one - there is something about C type roundels that looks smart - ditto for the FR1 and Seafire

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

Hello,Tony - Our very best wishes to you from Yeadon Airbase!

Once again,or should that be thrice again,we see your hallmark skills and expertise at work with the usual superb results.

The variation between the Fireflies is very dramatic and make a splendid comparison on the display ramp.The Seafire,displaying her wing-fold,is also a fine tribute to the type.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

As ever Mr T, its a cracker. I have to admit the rather hunchback Firefly trainer has never been a fave of mine form looks alone, but with the Yellow scheme, set off with the black cockpits, it does have a certain squat grace. The borrowed Mossie spinner make a huge difference to the look too ( nice idea)

Cheers

Jonners

PS my Squadrons of the FAA book arrived yesterday - wow! nice book

• Like 1

Tony, That truly is a lovely build. The kit without the conversion is challenging, but adding the conversion is very well done indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Brad

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your very kind comments folks, I`m so glad that you like it.

Out of interest,......for anybody who wants to do a `different' overall yellow Firefly,....here is the wreckage of a Royal Navy Firefly T.1 Z2108/245/LM from 766 NAS, RNAS Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar), which crashed in the Scottish Highlands on 16th May 1949, unfortunately both crew were killed. As you can see it wore the overall yellow scheme with black codes applied, which is quite rare and I have informed the FAAM about this rare wreckage;

bigfire4.JPG

1766.jpg

1767.jpg

1755.jpg

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1