F4J stencils 1/48

Simon382

Afternoon one and all.....a question to the wise if I may. Being rather masocistic I'm making the Monogram F4J to 1/48 with markings for VF84. However, both the aftermarket and kit decals are woefully short on stencils. Looking at various images of both the real thing and models I can't get a difinitve answer re stencils. Some show the airframe covered and others show almost none! Anyone out there point me in the right direction?????

Also, if stencils are needed, does anyone know of where I can get a sheet from?? I can find them for an F4B but not for the J model

Thanks for looking and any and all answers wil be gratefully received

Simon

The number of stencils on an aircraft is likely directly related to how recently it left the paint shop.  In service, stencils rarely got reapplied if they were removed/painted over during the corrosion control process.  So likely the ones you see w/ minimal stencils have probably been in service for a number of years.  Our birds would be inspected, cleaned up, and touched up every 28 days.

Disclaimer: My personal experience is w/ Prowlers in the '90s, rather than the F-4Js of the 70s.

I think Eduard has a stencil sheet available...I'll see if I can find it.  I know they had one created for the Rockin' Rhino kit (F-4J).

Looks like the Eduard stencil set is a generic F-4.  You might see if you can get your hands on a decal set from the Rockin' Rhino kit.

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, my kind of advice. Buy a whole new kit just for the stencils! Have to look on Evilbay when I get a chance. Just a thought, could I use a sheet for a F4B?? I assume that most are generic or are they type specific?

F-4B stencils are going to be very close if not the same as a J.  If there are differences, nobody but the most diehard Phantom Phan would pick out.  If you have a photo reference you are using for your J, you can just pick and choose which of the ones to use.

And yeah, I didn't mean buy the whole kit!  Especially an Eduard kit. :D  But yeah, cruise eBay or maybe even contact Eduard to see if you might be able to get the decal sheet/s individually.  I don't know if I'm going to use mine yet or not, otherwise I'd offer you up my set.

• Like 1

Hello Simon382,

You can find the "NAVAIR 01-245FDB-2-1.2" manual in the Internet. It contains full stencils for F-4B and F-4J as well as some generic material information. You can check the stencils one by one together with Panel Numbers. Very useful document indeed.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

Quick update.......found a sheet from Furball re the B model but will suffice for the J aswell. Having looked at the 6 pages of instructions I've worked out that if I start now I should have them all applied by early 2018!?! Thanks to all that replied

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Simon, when the model is complete You will see that it was worth the effort. Have fun:)

BR,

Antti

Thanks Antti..........by the time I've applied them all I'll have lots of time to admire them as I suspect I'll be retired

• Like 1