So this is the start of my WIP for the 1/12 Gonk, Im still not sure if I want to have a go at putting some lights in side this droid at the moment but when I have made mt mind up I will make a proper start on building him, but now here he is out the box.

There is some crips details and the fit is good. There are some slightly ruff bits with one leg having a few air bubble holes but these look like they can easily be filled but i do seem to have one foot quite a bit smaller than the other, could probably be sorted by sanding down the other foot. Over all very happy with my Gonk and look forwar to building him.

This will be my first Star Wars model ever! OMG! 

20170305_211909_zpscwce5sfa.jpg

20170305_211919_zpsy2sbmzh2.jpg

20170305_211732_zps4wwtwb3j.jpg

20170305_211421_zpsnou3phfn.jpg

20170305_211724_zpsromfdk1q.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought one of these for the stash so I'll be following your build with interest. As Andy says these kits are begging to be modified but I have no idea yet what to do with mine so he is going to sit waiting for a particle of inspiration to hit. 

Love override switch - looks the part.  

• Like 1

Well you know how things are when you start, he has now all the little mods i want to do to him.

Added connector plug on the back.

20170401_160602_zpsiijzq44r.jpg

And a few more on this side, i will make a tab to hold the spring cable against the side.

20170401_161754_zps3w2ccial.jpg

I quite like the detail on top.

20170401_161354_zps2piyjonp.jpg

• Like 5

What about serial to usb convertinger plug? Well its in there as well as a load of other odds and ends from the garage junk drawers. Now a power sub station im trying to put together so the Gonk will have somthing to plug into.

20170403_210045_zpszhgqyckd.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tolga Uzuner said:

lovely :)

i want one of this, where did you get it?

here you go, get it while you can as these sell out very quickly.

http://www.tirydiummodels.co.uk/JPG_Productions_112_Gonk___Mouse_Droid_Resin_Kit/p2467900_17246449.aspx

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2017 at 6:48 PM, Hunter Rose said:

Very cool! Love the details Brian and the substation looks killer, bashing like a boss :) 

Cheers your to kind...

So i wanted to give a chipping effect ago on this but only have the Vallejo solution and my top coat is going to be tamiya. So going to have a go with good old salt and water. Sprayed the rust colours and a bit of chrome then given it a gloss coat to protect base paints.

20170406_222841_zps6xtjennv.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will Vale said:

That's a great pile of bits - especially the TDK logo :) Is it going to be in the desert, or somewhere else in the SW universe?

W

Cheers, its a fun side project.

Was going to sand off that TDK logo off but I thought it would be fun to keep it.

Still very undecided at the moment. I was going to go with Tatooine desertscape and then I thought about some kind of mining hut but my R2 and R5 bandai kits have just arrived today and I might paint the the R5 in the greens of R5-M4 to go along side the Gonk. Im not sure were R5-M4 is from in the SW universe, still need to do a google. I will probably end up just winging it like I normally do.

The R2 / R5 Bandai kit are all sorts of lovely, its my first Bandai SW kit and I can now see why they are so popular.

So started to adding some life to the Gonk, a few lights have been added using some fiber optic that i will mushroom the ends to make it fit  better ( i hope ) and started on the painting. I stated out with the traditional gonk blue but then felt it needed a bit more so adding some greens,  blue and greens should never be seen except on star wars driods...i think i will some more green to one or two ofther pannles.

20170412_072121_zpsxjxrxk9l.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Love the substation.

I think I might add some nuts and bolts

by the edges as if its bolted to a plinth.

Gonk is looking good too.

Cheers Pete, i might just add a few nuts and a spanner on the side.

I still have the legs and feet to paint but just couldn't resist making a start on the weathering. I very pleased with how the rusty pannel come out.

20170413_110126_zps1wzpys1s.jpg

• Like 2