This my latest, as the title says its the newish Airfix Meteor, finished as a machine of 616 R Aux AF Squadron in the mid 1950's.

Meteor%202_zpsycou2bgr.jpg

I was  a bit disappointed in the fit of the engine covers and the wing fillets, other than that it was a quick and easy build.

Meteor%201_zps4awdq2mt.jpg

I chose to model WH474 K, I have no front view photo, so I don't know if the nose  wheel cover has a K on it, but if I get confirmation I'll add it.

• Like 31

Yayyyy - so nice to see a 616 Squadron F.8👍and a lovely build to boot.

It might be worth trying through South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum at Doncaster to confirm if a letter "K" was carried on WH474's nose wheel door. (I do know they had them on their Mk 4 Meteors) - they're affiliated to the 616 Squadron association. The museum's number is 01302761616.

On a more personal note, a dear and much missed friend, Frank Betts served as a fitter with 616 at both RAF Finningley and RAF Worksop  upto the squadron disbandment in 1957. The last time I saw him, he asked me " If you do me one thing,  never forget 616".

WH434 was one of his aircraft, so I'm very chuffed to see this one, as no doubt he would be. I've yet to buy this kit, but have some 616 decals waiting in the wings.

Thank you so much for sharing - it's made my day👍

Regards Adrian 

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 3

Adrian, I often go to the model club meetings at the South Yorkshire Aircraft museum( 2nd Wednesday of the month, but I'm away working this week), so that's my plan. A few of my models are on display including my Aeroclub T7. As to the nose gear door letter, I'm pretty confident they did but I have a shot of a formation of five machines taken from slightly below and some did and some didn't so I await confirmation on 474.

SteveR219 the doors were fitted before I joined the fuselage halves and they were an ok-ish fit.

• Like 2

Pleased to see that you go to SYAM, I am currently a non active museum member, but some of my models are displayed. I've made more than one can remember since I joined over 30 years ago, but the list includes the following;-

3× airfix Vulcans,  XL321, XM607 & an all white Finningley based 230 OCU.

Hampden BZ-N, again Finningley based.

1/48 Fonderie Miniatures Halifax KW-U,

NA581 of 425 sqn.

1/48 Whirlwind in SAR wing yellow.

1/32 I.D.models F.8 Meteor in 616 sqn colours RAF Worksop.

1/32 Revell DHL Mosquito converted into a NF30, RAW-O of 616 sqn Finningley 1948.

I could go on, but I'd have to have a good look around to see what is there.

Kind regards Adrian 

• Like 1

Hello,Andy - My full compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Meteor'.

I love the quality and detail of the painting and finishing work and commend the clean 'classic' look of this classic aircraft.Your choice of scheme adds a splash of colour and makes this a resplendent tribute to the type.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.