XP-59A Airacomet (Special Hobby, 1/72)

I've decided to implement a new rule for myself from now through to the end of 2020: in keeping with trying to leverage my GB participation to help with my goal of building as many World War II subjects as possible during the 75th anniversary of WWII (and at least a few WWI subjects during that conflict's centennial), my primary entry in each GB must be something from 75 years ago to the calendar year (or 100 years ago if it's World War I) unless the theme precludes it (e.g. Sci-Fi). Right now, that means 1942...and on October 2, 1942 (October 1 if one counts a series of short, unofficial test hops), the Bell XP-59A Airacomet made its first flight. In addition to being the world's fifth jet-powered aircraft to fly (after the He.178, He.280, Gloster E.40 Pioneer and Me.262), it was also:

-The United States' first jet aircraft.

-The first U.S. jet fighter.

-The first Allied jet fighter.

That last distinction tends to get overlooked, presumably because the P-59 was deemed unsuitable for combat use due to its disappointing performance while the Meteor went on to a successful combat career in World War II, Korea and several other conflicts. However, the 412th Fighter Group took delivery of its first P-59s in March 1944, a month before Erprobungskommando 262 stood up and four months before 616 Squadron took delivery of its first Meteors, making the P-59 the first jet fighter (or jet aircraft of any kind, for that matter) to enter squadron service, albeit in a training and operational testing role.

Here's the obligatory sprue pic, the box is long gone but the plastic is untouched. To replicate the first flight scheme, I'm going to use an old Eagle Strike sheet of generic early WWII U.S. insignias. As far as I can tell from looking at multiple photos of the prototype XP-59A in Steve Pace's book on the type in the Ginter Books Air Force Legends series, these were the only markings it carried on its first flight:

P-59%201_zpscftikroz.jpg

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 4

Day 1:

P-59%202_zpsba4inlgg.jpg

Cockpit painting over halfway done, still need to pick out the sidewall details and the canvas cover for the base of the stick (which I superglued in place before painting since the piece needed a fair bit of cleaning up and the sprue attachment point was quite heavy) and touch up the instrument panel a little. First time using Eduard Steelbelts and I've got to say they felt easier to work with than other PE seatbelts I've used in the past. Definitely an improvement on my usual strips of Tamiya tape.

I was about to glue on a gunsight "borrowed" from one of my stash of new-tool Airfix Spitfire Mk.I's (many of which are slated for PR conversions, leaving the gunsights surplus to requirements) but then I remembered that the instrument panel photo I was studying would probably be from a production P-59A or P-59B...can't tell from the photos I've got if the prototype had one on its first flight, but since it didn't have any guns, I'm guessing not unless evidence to the contrary surfaces...

• Like 1

Great stuff :thumbsup2: .

I hadn't realised that Special Hobby did a P-59. Somewhere I have a Rareplane Vac-Form and an Amodel  injection kit. 

From the sprue shots this looks better than both :).

I don't know how the prototype looked, I'll go and google it. I also didn't know if entered service before the 262 and Meteor. Thanks for sharing this background and history, all great stuff for us to learn, just the type of thing hoped for in this GB :).

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Tony.

Anytime! You're welcome and thanks for hosting this GB. I am way past overdue to edit my initial post a little, as I got the date the 412th stood up as a headquarters confused with when they first took delivery of their P-59s...the essential statement is correct, the 412th FG were flying P-59s before EKdo 262 got Me.262s, but I might have been overstating by how long (unless April '44 is when they stood up as a "paper" unit...) The way I see it, the He.280, P-59, Me.262 and Meteor all have a legitimate claim to "first jet fighter" status: First jet fighter to fly, first jet fighter (or jet of any kind for that matter) in squadron service, first jet fighter flown in combat (albeit initially by an "operational test and evaluation" unit, but still before the Meteor's first V-1 shootdown) and first fully operational jet fighter in service with a regular frontline squadron.

I've been working away slowly on the cockpit, proceeding with caution as the limited run nature of the kit can make assembly "interesting" at times. The nose gear wheel well is going to be a bit of a challenge as there's no real indication on the fuselage halves or in the instructions of where exactly it should go, and getting it too deep or too shallow could throw the model's deck angle sitting on the ground right off. Here's how things are looking currently:

P-59%203_zpsbgvy3qkn.jpg

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 3

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:17 AM, Sabre_days said:

That last distinction tends to get overlooked, presumably because the P-59 was deemed unsuitable for combat use due to its disappointing performance while the Meteor went on to a successful combat career in World War II, Korea and several other conflicts. However, considering that the production P-59A entered service with the 412th Fighter Group at the end of November, 1943, over four months before Erprobungskommando 262 stood up and more than half a year before 616 Squadron took delivery of its first Meteors, the Airacomet can make a legitimate claim to having been the world's first operational jet fighter...from a certain point of view.

Original, uncorrected version for reference purposes. See above.

• Like 1

I've got a Special Hobby YP-59 in the stash.  I'll be following along.

Though with you doing an Airacomet for this GB...it's pushing me towards the F-107A for no other reason than more variety.  B)

• Like 2

It would be great to see an F-107A in this GB.

I may try to track down a second YP-59 at some point (not for this GB, though) because I've always thought the YF2L-1 Airacomet looks very sharp in the USN Tri-Color scheme.

• Like 1

Good subject. I built this last year in 1/48 from the Hobby Craft kit. The rear deck on the Hobby Craft was unlike the real thing and neaded to be removed along with the non existing bulkhead. Also I noted that on the real thing the engine fronts are quite prominant in the intakes. I'm not sure what this kit is like but it might be worth checking these areas.

For the first flight I believe the serial was also carried in yellow on the fin.

The Navy scheme looks great but every one builds the prototype scheme, me included. 

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I just thought I'd check how you were getting along.

The cockpit looks great, as you say; the seat belts are very nice, I normally only use Tamiya tape or foil and these look a lot better :thumbsup2: 

Will this be in an olive drab scheme? I'm not very familiar with the colour schemes. I went to NASM here:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/bell-xp-59a-airacomet

I think, maybe of the pictures at the top of the page; picture number 9 is the first prototype test flight scheme?

I like the pictures with the fake propeller:winkgrin:.

All the best

TonyT

On 3/23/2017 at 4:20 PM, Sabre_days said:

I may try to track down a second YP-59 at some point (not for this GB, though) because I've always thought the YF2L-1 Airacomet looks very sharp in the USN Tri-Color scheme.

As far as I know, the Navy-operated Airacomets never received a Navy-unique designation. Also see http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-was-bell-aircraft-f2l.html

• 2 months later...

Hello!

Just wondered if this one has been moving along in the background?

I'm a big fan of early jets, wondering how this kit goes together :hmmm: 

Best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66