A British fighter prototype which first flew in May 1944.  Sadly, the MB5 never went into production, despite having excellent performance and handling characteristics.  It looked superficially similar to the P-51 Mustang and was of a similar size. However, whereas the Mustang was powered by a Merlin engine, the MB5 had a Griffon engine - 1,000 hp more than the Merlin!!! 

By the time the MB5 flew, the RAF was looking forward to becoming a jet force. There were also concerns that a small company such as Martin Baker would not have the resources to put such an aircraft into series production.

I will be using the new AZ Model kit, built pretty much OOB.

MB5-001.jpg

• Like 16

On 3/6/2017 at 3:30 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

It looked superficially similar to the P-51 Mustang and was of a similar size. However, whereas the Mustang was powered by a Merlin engine, the MB5 had a Griffon engine - 1,000 hp more than the Merlin!!! 

Closer in size to the P-47, in fact! The MB5 was fully six feet longer than a P-51D. She was a big, beautiful beast. Would have eaten wunderwaffen for breakfast like they were wunderwaffles.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

My AZ MB-5 has finally arrived from the big H, along with some Mosquito bits. Do I make a start on the MB-5 for this GB (the fact the Enzo hasn't updated for a while gives me pause...) or do I keep on truckin' with the Mossie?

Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

On 12/03/2017 at 3:17 PM, Procopius said:

Closer in size to the P-47, in fact! The MB5 was fully six feet longer than a P-51D. She was a big, beautiful beast. Would have eaten wunderwaffen for breakfast like they were wunderwaffles.

I recall reading somewhere that a good start for wings for a scratch built MB5 or MB3 too for that matter, were the wings from a F6F & they're blooming great planks of things,

Steve.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this one :).

AZ have released some 'what if' boxings, but I like to see the real prototypes built.

Such a purposeful look to this aircraft.

Great choice Enzo

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rob G said:

the fact the Enzo hasn't updated for a while gives me pause...

Give it a go.  The kit is really nice.  I haven't updated for a while simply because - as usual - I've bitten off almost as much as I can chew! :D

• Like 1

Okay, here we go.  Hold on tight, rider! 

Let's start with the sprue shots.   Although this kit is a recent release, I think it was tooled some time ago.  It is a typical short run kit, albeit very well produced.  The more modern AZ kits, such as their Bf109 family are more mainstream.  The MB5 has no locating pins on the fuselage halves and wing parts. The wings also butt joint to the fuselage.  It shouldn't be a problem as there is a lot of area to glue which should make a strong joint, but I'll add a spar just to make sure.

MB5-002.jpg

MB5-003.jpg

No sooner said than done.  :D   The cockpit parts are okay - no huge amounts of detail but they are perfectly adequate.  I have added a seat harness using Eduard superfabric sets.

As with many kits of British "bubbletop" fighters, the cockpit cutout follows the edges of the canopy. This is inaccurate on aircraft such as the Spitfire, Typhoon and Tempest and I'm assuming that the same is true of the MB5.  AZ do provide a part to fill this area which I will fair in with filler when the fuselage halves are joined.

MB5-004.jpg

• Like 4

Note that the tailplanes and fin of the MB3 are also present on the sprue - I have the Navy variant and the instructions actually show these being fitted to one option of the MB5, although this is not properly explained on the sheet.  (They weren't.  Or were they?)

PS  Just to clarify matters, the Griffon 83 at 2340hp had a lot less than twice the power of the Merlin in the Mustang, which in the P-51D ran to over 1700hp, or 2000hp with the 130/150 octane fuel.  I don't know which fuel was specified for that power output in the Griffon, so perhaps it had some in hand as well..

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Note that the tailplanes and fin of the MB3 are also present on the sprue - I have the Navy variant and the instructions actually show these being fitted to one option of the MB5, although this is not properly explained on the sheet.

It seems that the MB5 originally flew with the tail of the MB3 and small tailplanes.  This boxing provides markings for this version.

I've not seen that about the small tail in my sources, and I'm a little surprised.  However, I'll stick with the "not properly explained" in the kit instructions.

One point I recall seeing many years ago but can't track down now, is that the MB5 was designed with identical symmetrical tailplanes part and starboard, so only a single spare kind need be kept.  To reflect this, the underside of the tailplanes was painted in the uppersurface camouflage. None of the photos I can find show this -or the underside of the tailplanes however painted!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...