My first entry to this GB will be the F-15 Streak Eagle.

This aircraft was a specially modified F-15 which broke eight time-to-height world records in early 1975.

This one should look very different from an normal F-15.

I will be using the Academy 1/72 F-15 kit and Rocketeer decals.

SE001.JPG

• Like 9

I've been hoping for this to be built ever since the GB idea was floated Enzo :).

It's a really beautiful bird, there's something about those different shades of metal panels that make it look very special indeed.

Really looking forward to this.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Tamiya 1/48 kit, but I know I would not finish it in time ( too many other commitments at the moment ) so I'll just have to be content watching yours.

John

PS

Do you know if the Rocketeer decals available in 1/48?

Enzo, if it's any use to you, I can send you copies (real or PDF) of the Hasegawa instructions for their boxed version of this. Might make an interesting comparison to the Rocketeer instructions.

• 4 months later...

Oh dear!  I thought I had updated this thread a bit more than... well..  nothing.  :fraidnot:

My build is complete.   If no one objects, I'll put some photos up in the gallery and then update this thread tomorrow. 

Now playing catch-up...

The sprue shots.  The Academy kit is quite basic, with no bells or whistles.  I like it a lot.

SE002.JPG

Although this kit represents an F-15C, it also has the earlier exhausts so can be used to build an F-15A.

SE003.JPG

The cockpit area sprue is specific to the single seat version

SE004.JPG

• Like 1

Assembly commences with the cockpit and intakes.  The intake assembly gives a lot of depth to the finished model. 

The stuff that looks like the contents of a OO gauge mineral wagon is Liquid Gravity...  :)

SE005.JPG

The airframe builds up really quickly.

The Streak Eagle had the early small rectangular speed brake.  The kit speed brake was cemented into place and the shape was lined with Dymo tape to allow the outline to be scribed.

SE006.JPG

And then the intakes were fitted.  The instrument bay behind the cockpit was painted with Lifecolor UA136 Aotake Blue.  The avionics boxes were removed from the Streak Eagle to save weight. Rather than carry out a lot of surgery to remove them, I simply painted the whole bay blue hoping that they wouldn't be too visible on the finished model.

SE007.JPG

Everything masked. The airframe is sprayed with Alclad2 black primer.

SE008.JPG

The natural metal base coat is AK Interactive Xtreme Metal AK479 Aluminium.

The Xtreme Metal paints are excellent.  They are very hard wearing and dry superbly.  They also don't pool on the surface. If you accidentally spray on too much, it seems to self level and still gives an excellent finish.

SE009.JPG

• Like 4

Here's where it all gets a little confused...   I had chosen various metal shades to be used. Infortunately when I sprayed them, they didn't look right so I ended up endlessly re-masking and respraying - none of which got documented photographically. :wall:

I originally intended to use Xtreme Metal AK482 Duraluminium for the gold areas.  It looks very gold in the bottle, but once sprayed it tends to take up the colour of the light falling on it.

In the end I used Alclad2 ALC-118 Gold Titanium for the dark gold areas. In hindsight, that makes perfect sense, seeing as those areas were actually made from titanium! :lol:  The lighter gold areas were a mix of the gold titanium and Alclad2 ALC-101 Aluminium.   Ailerons and flaps used Xtreme Metal duraluminium.  The centre panels of the tailplanes were lightly oversprayed with Alclad2 ALC-416 Hot Metal Sepia.   The nose cone was sprayed with a generic auto colour aluminium.  The black panels on the uppersurface were sprayed with Lifecolor UA734 Worn Black and then lightly oversprayed with Alclad2 ALC-120 Gunmetal.  Finally, the blue panels were sprayed with Lifecolor UA037 Air Superiority Blue.

SE010.JPG

• Like 1

And so, to the finished article.  The aircraft is represented as it was during the record attempts.  Later on, there was a large badge applied to the fins.

SE100.JPG

SE101.JPG

SE102.JPG

SE103.JPG

SE104.JPG

This weekend, the F-15 STGB starts.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That's very generous of you to say.  I can see numerous failings in the build but it was fun.  

One major issue arises from my technique.  The Alclad and Xtreme Metal finishes are perfect for a natural metal scheme.  The problem is that I spoil it by using varnish over the top.  I haven't yet found a final varnish that can replicate a natural metal sheen.  If anyone has any suggestiones, I'd be very interested to hear them.

Oddly enough, the finish I arrived at with this model looks to be perfect from French natural metal schemes.  I'm now seriously considering an NMF Super Mystere...

• Like 2

Great result Enzo! 

Regarding varnishes for nmf,  have you tried Alclad's Aqua Gloss? I think it was developed specially for Alclad's high shine metal shades. In my limited experience it doesn't affect much the original shine of the paint under it. It's also excellent for canopies and transparent parts. You may want to give it a try. 

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1