Aerostatoplan Zhuchenko

I'm going through a bit of a Yugoslav phase at the moment, so have decided to build this little wonder for the GB.

P1100129_zpsull1fbr7.jpg

Designed by Nikolai Zhuchenko (Americanized spelling) in 1937, this was Europe's first ever tilt-rotor V-STOL prototype.

Of wood and fabric construction, it was unfortunately under-powered and hence never achieved flight.  This may have been a good thing, as it apparantly lacked cyclic control and hence could not be controlled in all three axes.

It's a cute little resin kit and comes complete with a PE fret for the undercarriage and a few other details.

I'll be hopefully starting it in April.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 10

Nice choice Cliff,  I've got one of those somewhere......

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, good luck.

Steve

• Like 1

On 06/03/2017 at 7:01 PM, BritJet said:

Nice choice Cliff,  I've got one of those somewhere......

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, good luck.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  There's obviously a bigger market for this model than I had thought  (two of us at least!).

On 07/03/2017 at 8:19 AM, Mjwomack said:

I looked at that and thought, 'it'll never fly!' Felt vindicated when I read the write up. So bonkers I love it! What are the holes in the nose for? Towing hook? Tethering point?

Thanks Mjwomack.  I'm not sure what the holes are for, although I believe that the engine is in the fuselage just behind them so that may a clue.  Unfortunately, I will have to drill out those holes (plus several others in the fuselage), which I'm not looking forward to as the fuselage is a single piece of solid resin :fraidnot:

On 07/03/2017 at 8:20 AM, Paul J said:

Aah! The new version of the V22 Osprey.

Thanks Paul.  There's nothing new under the sun (although I suppose the Zhuchenko was!)

On 07/03/2017 at 8:40 AM, HansReggelsen said:

i never cease to be amazed with the imagination of the human mind! :D

This plane looks like it was dreamt up by Miyasaki - it's so great! :clap2:

Thanks Hans.  If you look at the link that Basilisk has provided in his post, you'll see that the builders did actually add quite a bit of science to the imagination (proving model, engine power/weight assessment etc.), so it is a real pity that it didn't fly.  You are right though of course, the real appeal of the aircraft is its quirkiness :)

On 07/03/2017 at 11:02 AM, Basilisk said:

Great choice of a plane I had no idea existeded! It actually looks a bit ahead of its time. You may already know this page. If not there are some interesting pictures there.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter.  I didn't know that page so I'm really pleased that you posted the link.  Cheers.

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

Superb choice Cliff, my belated welcome to the GB :thumbsup2: .

I have to say that I really rather like the way that it looks. I hadn't heard of it either. Kira have to be given a thumbs up for the subjects they cover. It's not just this one. They have many really unusual early prototypes and experimentals, that I'm sure no one else will ever cover.

I wonder if those holes at the front, given the engine location, are for the exhaust pipes?

I'm dying to see the parts now Cliff. Good luck with it, I know Kira kits can sometimes need a bit of extra elbow grease, but the results can be really unusual and stunning :).

All the best

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Spellinge
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys and sorry that I've been absent for a while.

Today, I have finally made a start on the diminuitive Zuchenko. 

Here are the parts out of the box:

P1100170_zps0803pgfz.jpg

and here are the resin bits cleaned up and partly assembled

P1100171_zpsh9hytxhz.jpg

No real horrors, just a few air bubbles on the underside of the fuselage.  These were easily filled using superglue and Mr Surfacer.

Next, I'll be breaking out the brass wire to help locate the wings and props.

See you again soon

Cliff

• Like 2

Lokks suitably wacky to be included here.

I can see why they provide a PE under carriage, there must be quite a bit of weight there.

Colin

• Like 1

On 07/06/2017 at 3:45 PM, Colin W said:

Lokks suitably wacky to be included here.

I can see why they provide a PE under carriage, there must be quite a bit of weight there.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

The fuselage is solid resin, but in 1/72 it's quite small (80mm long), so thankfully it's not too heavy.

The PE undecarriage seemed very flimsy on the fret, but the finished item is sturdy enough..

P1100172_zpshrfqt7sa.jpg

As you can see, the first coat of primer has shown up a few areas where the surface finish needs some more attention.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely job Cliff 

I have to say in natural resin the fuselage shape looks remarkably like a barrage balloon.

i look forward to seeing the next build episode!

cheers Pat

• Like 1

It looks great Cliff :D!

I'm on an Autogyro roll at the moment; this almost looks like one. I may have to get one of these, it's splendidly eccentric!

Very nice work on the undercarriage and surfacing.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Rotors up :cowboy: !

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Pat and Tony :)

As luck would have it...... it's finished!

P1100173.jpg

Thank you to all who have commented, 'liked' and organised things.  Top job!

Cliff

• Like 6

It looks marvellous Cliff :worthy: !

What a great subject. I like the paint colour and finish; very tidy work around the rotors and engine cowl too. Nice neat, tiny windshield.

Lovely base too. Thanks for taking part and sharing Cliff, a great addition to our ever growing gallery :thumbsup:!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1