Jason - Amy Johnson's Solo First

I thought I'd better get this aloft as I'm going to be away for the first week of the GB. I'm going to have a crack at Amy Johnson's Jason (more on that later).

The kit - Amodel 1:48 D.H.60G, contents below:

33287422355_fbdb075c6e_b.jpg

The box

32444579754_73a5fc7d17_b.jpg

Decals

33287421775_b32ec23677_b.jpg

Bag o'sprues

32472740063_044dffdf03_b.jpg

Instructions with Humbrol colour call-outs

Roll on Sunday week when I can start in earnest.

• Like 6

Welcome to the Group Build :).

Lovely subject. I also have the Amodel kit in 1/72 and believe they go together in more or less the same way?

One of my favourite periods of aviation, possibly my favourite aviatrix.

Good luck with he build, looking forward to it!

Best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Wrong scale; changed to 1/72

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair to Amodel the instructions do say that this is a short run kit for experienced modellers only, to be fair to me it doesn't say it on the outside of the box. This is going to be a struggle.

The good stuff - I think I can get the fuselage and internals together and still retain my sanity,  though I'm still pondering how to fit the engine and engine housing (cowling?) together.

The less good stuff - I glued the thing that looks a big pair of dividers or a sextant into the fuselage but as can be seen in the photo it's gone. If it was a navigation aid I fear that Amy will not go the full distance. I'm already feeling that rigging might be a step too far within the time limit of the GB but I'll see how things pan out - I might be more optimistic once I've got the cockpit and interior painted up properly.

I've gone for Neutral Grey on the internals, I think the photos from the museum show this but I've not rechecked the reference photos.

33777842886_6829a0a88a_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 08/03/2017 at 7:52 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Oh, nice one - I'm building the same kit (different scheme) in the de Havilland GB, so will be watching here :)

BTW, there's a photo of Jason's cockpit here ... http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/jean_batten_bio.html

It's about 1/2 way down the page

Apologies, I thought I'd already replied to this. Thanks for the link, as regards the build I'm very much hoping to follow in your footsteps.

On 15/03/2017 at 9:08 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

Welcome to the Group Build :).

Loveky subject. I also have the Amodel kit in 1/48 and believe they go together in more or less the same way?

One of my favourite periods of aviation, possibly my favourite aviatrix.

Good luck with he build, looking forward to it!

Best regards

TonyT

Cheers, this is the 1/48 kit as well by the way - though the instruction sheet would have you believe it's 1/72

• Like 1

I don't want to be discouraging - as my skills are limited - but this kit defeated me about 6 months ago - I will be cheering you along all the way - as I have 3 more in the stash & want to make a success of at least one :blush:

C'mon Avereda!!!

• Like 1

Good to see your progress Avereda

On 03/04/2017 at 18:33, Avereda said:

Apologies, I thought I'd already replied to this. Thanks for the link, as regards the build I'm very much hoping to follow in your footsteps.

Oh, I hope you do better than me - I'm up to my eyebrows in courses, so the build has stalled.

On 03/04/2017 at 9:00 PM, BIG X said:

I don't want to be discouraging - as my skills are limited - but this kit defeated me about 6 months ago - I will be cheering you along all the way - as I have 3 more in the stash & want to make a success of at least one :blush:

C'mon Avereda!!!

If I can get the fuselage together I'll count it as a success. Despite what I've said above I might even have a go at another so I can finish it in the scheme of Lady Mary Bailey, described here http://trowelblazers.com/lady-mary-bailey/ as an "Avant Garde Archeological Aviatrix"

On 03/04/2017 at 9:41 PM, zebra said:

Best of luck with this Avereda. I love Amodel kits but they can be challenging! I think if you take it slowly and dry fit everything you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice, taking it slowly comes naturally to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avereda said:

If I can get the fuselage together I'll count it as a success. Despite what I've said above I might even have a go at another so I can finish it in the scheme of Lady Mary Bailey, described here http://trowelblazers.com/lady-mary-bailey/ as an "Avant Garde Archeological Aviatrix"

Thanks for the advice, taking it slowly comes naturally to me.

C'mon Avereda - I am with you all the way on this one - you can do it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A very small update, I've had a slight change of plan and gone for wood (of sorts) in the cockpit. A mix of oils and some Vallejo woodgrain colours have got things to this point.

33991439876_edbca45d83_b.jpg

• Like 4

The cockpit is looking great! I sense a new feeling of determination and purpose in this build... :thumbsup2: 

I had made a typo in my earlier post; my kit is actually the 1/72 one. It does look absolutely identical in construction to this 1/48, although if I remember correctly, the cockpit in my 1/72 one is missing something important. It may be a seat, by default. I'll check it out.

I had a little read about Lady Mary Bailey. What a remarkable lady! Five children, took part in the Great War, cars, motorcycles, a mechanic, surveys and world records. Quite amazing; Im ashamed that I hadn't heard of her before.

Sometimes it is just as easy to make two identical models as it is one.....

:poke:

:winkgrin:

The rigging isn't too bad on these. Said he, absolutely scared stiff of rigging...

But it does follow a logical and fairly simple pattern. EZ line or the very nice Uschi thread could be your friend here. I have some of the latter and it's lovely stuff. Alternatively you could go for a simplified main rigging look, with lengths of very fine stretched sprue. I've never had much success with that (I'm a total clot with stretched sprue), but many have. 

I'm cheering you along too!!

Beautiful aircraft; fuselage together soon, then wings gaily slapped on :D.

At your own pace, of course :thumbsup2:!

All the best

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Spelling

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/04/2017 at 8:26 PM, BIG X said:

C'mon Avereda - I am with you all the way on this one - you can do it!!!

Why, thank you. I'm doing what I can but its slow going. Cockpit part in, next the IPs and bulkheads then we'll try and zip up.

34351708902_cefeab37b7_b.jpg

• Like 3

And onwards. Some cheeky Milliput luggage was added, I was going to have a crack at a flask but that proved to be a step too far. Fuselage is now together but the underneath is a bit if mess. Plasticard, newly purchased Berna clamps and 2mm chisel should come to the rescue.

34191709310_02abd0b5d5_b.jpg

34447404621_eb7fceb590_b.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 18:54, Avereda said:

34447404621_eb7fceb590_b.jpg

Hi Avereda - This is where I got up to - before feeling totally dejected & putting it back in the box.  I'm hoping you can inspire me to go & fish it though though - C'mon :clap2:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hi Avereda - This is where I got up to - before feeling totally dejected & putting it back in the box.  I'm hoping you can inspire me to go & fish it though though - C'mon :clap2:

Well you'll be glad to know I've passed this point at least. Still a bit if a step to sort out on the the belly of the fuselage but it's getting there now.

34592058766_74a79cf300_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely work Avereda :thumbsup2: !

I'm cheering you on here. I want to do two of their DH-60x, this one and the float plane version. This floor part of the construction looked very tricky; you, the brace pioneer, have coaxed it into submission ;).

Nice details in the cockpit too. I feel this one is on its way to wearing some wings very soon.

Hope your coursework is going ok.

Great stuff, inspiring me to get one out and get started!

Best regards

TonyT

Tony, thanks again for the kind words and encouragement. Coursework? You're mixing me up with fellow Amodel victim Robert Stuart, I handed my last piece of MSc coursework in in 2013 and unless I am inexplicably gripped by the need for PhD that will be it.

Wings might be on in fortnight, a Vampire in the DH GB and a few gigs with the band are occupying me at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...

Colour, finally some colour. A somewhat wayward skitter through various equivalency charts led to Vallejo's German Tail light Green. I thought I might as well give it a shot and as it happens it kind of is the colour I was after. The problem is it is a little too bright and there is an unnerving luminosity to it so I may try and flatten that back with something.

The photo doesn't really show the brightness, you'll just have to take my word.

34435116843_5cddbb5677_b.jpg

• Like 2