Jason - Amy Johnson's Solo First

That looks like a good match for the colour :). Duly noted for future Gypsy fettling..,,

Apologies regarding the coursework. I must blame it on the paracetamol and codeine I'm taking :hypnotised:. Nevertheless, I'm glad it went well for your MSc in 2013 :smartass:!

Inspired by this and other builds I've ordered the Amodel Shackleton Arctic/Greenland boxing. These reallly were such incredibly versatile aircraft.

Looking forward to wings and, dare I say it, rigging :o (I have a phobia of rigging!).

Hope the gigs went well :guitar: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Looking forward to wings and, dare I say it, rigging :o (I have a phobia of rigging!).

Hope the gigs went well :guitar: 

Best regards

TonyT

Cheers, there will be rigging - it might not make the gallery but there will be rigging. Gigs went well, one more next Saturday then I've got to lay off for a few months because my right shoulder has frozen. Getting old, it's a brutal business.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First the bad news, the doctor has signed me off work for three weeks with a frozen shoulder. Second, more bad news, it doesn't really affect my modelling so I'm quite likely to get Jason finished and infect the GB gallery with my own efforts.

I added the engine and nose at the weekend, more work is required but I think I can get it sorted. I thought I might take a bit of a whack with all the Photobucket nonsense but having moved to Flickr about six months ago I've survived relatively unharmed - it would be a crying shame if a lot of the superb earlier work were lost, especially for newcomers like myself - I really do find it incredibly useful.

Anyhow here's some pictures (until Flickr appoint a charmless clot for a CEO)

35307579060_b1823ceb12_b.jpg35307579070_d29c766109_b.jpg

• Like 1

Latest update, I took advantage of the good weather to do a bit of outdoor modelling. I also took advantage of the time off to do a bit more research, this may have build repercussions.

The first potential change is covering the forward cockpit as it looks like this would have been closed up for Amy Johnson's flight. Other additions may include a handle for the fuel tank and some additional rigging on the undercarriage.

Anyhow this is where I'm up to:

35706974551_248d7aac67_b.jpg

Nose primed and potential cockpit cover cut

35450898180_99f3bc8b88_b.jpg

Wings primed and of coat of Vallejo Aged White added, this will all be covered in white eventually

• Like 1

One remaining puzzle remains regarding the wing and rudder colour. Stuart Mackay's book 'The De Havilland D.H.60 Moth' simply says that Jason was painted green and silver, Alec Gill's 'Hessle Road Tomboy' says that the plane was painted bottle green with 'silver touches'. The Amodel instructions are plumping definitely for white which would seem to tally with the plane as exhibited at the Science Museum. Any further information would be welcome.

• Like 1

Slow progress, even with time on my hands. Tried fitting the struts to the fuel tank, the struts are going to have to be persuaded a little to fit the fuselage correctly. Despite the prevarication above I'm going to go for white wings which will at least match the fuselage lettering decals.

35857969406_1a80106e10_b.jpg

• Like 2

It's looking good from here - keep it up - you are doing a smashing job on a 'bitch' of a kit - it beat me - don't let it beat you :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

It's looking good from here - keep it up - you are doing a smashing job on a 'bitch' of a kit - it beat me - don't let it beat you :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Cheers, it'll be a bit of a job to get it all together in time for the gallery but it might just make it

20 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It's looking good. The green looks like a very nice colour. How do you model outside without having everything blow away??

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks, the green looked slightly better over the grey primer than the black I think, I thought the black might improve it but there you go.

Our patio is slightly sunken and there's effectively a windbreak on all four sides so there's not much in the way of a breeze at table level - I'm not sure that it's ideal for airbrushing though.

• Like 1

Just ordered some more eyelets from Bob's Buckles in a hopeful attempt to get the rigging done. As usual this looks like going right to the wire. More pictures tomorrow all being well.

• Like 1

Steps forward and backward. Decals are on along with some gouache weathering - so far so good. Then I had a bash at rigging, this went better than expected so I'm hopeful that it will be possible to rig the wings. However, I'd forgotten that the Pledge, gouache etc needed longer to cure...

35855761182_00efd5e330_b.jpg

• Like 2

And onwards, several times over the last couple of days this has nearly ended up as the post-Darwin crash version. The kit isn't for newish modellers and would probably be a struggle for most within the confines of a GB. I've ploughed on though; bits have been glued on, pulled off, broken, thrown away etc, there are even more fingerprints and some of the decals are superfluous. Despite all that, I've now got something resembling a biplane. The overhead fuel tank is actually floating in mid air, the supporting struts will have to be pulled off and reattached so it mates up. I need a drink and a lie down.

35235276363_af8f6d4e74_b.jpg

• Like 2

I've had to pull the plug on this one unfortunately. I'd spent most of the day on the rigging and then the whole thing collapsed on me taking two of the struts with it. I won't have time to repair the damage and finish off before the deadline.

I'm not sure if I'll carry this on so the epitaph might be the photo below.

36064430355_40b44ff73a_b.jpg

22 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I've had to pull the plug on this one unfortunately. I'd spent most of the day on the rigging and then the whole thing collapsed on me taking two of the struts with it. I won't have time to repair the damage and finish off before the deadline.

I'm not sure if I'll carry this on so the epitaph might be the photo below.

36064430355_40b44ff73a_b.jpg

That is so sad - Tragic!!! 

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

That is so sad - Tragic!!! 

I think it was inevitable, the wing structure was never stable enough to take me fiddling around with turnbuckles and Uschi thread. I can't figure out how to make the whole thing strong enough at the moment, I've not got that engineering kind of brain or skill to be honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avereda said:

I think it was inevitable, the wing structure was never stable enough to take me fiddling around with turnbuckles and Uschi thread. I can't figure out how to make the whole thing strong enough at the moment, I've not got that engineering kind of brain or skill to be honest.

...is there time to get a new kit and just use the parts you need???

5 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...is there time to get a new kit and just use the parts you need???

I don't think so, I might experiment off-forum with brass tube so I've got something stable to work with - it won't be very accurate but at least I'll end up with something resembling a biplane.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I don't think so, I might experiment off-forum with brass tube so I've got something stable to work with - it won't be very accurate but at least I'll end up with something resembling a biplane.

I will be with you - even if it is off the forum - I have four of these and I'm scared witless about even opening the boxes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

I will be with you - even if it is off the forum - I have four of these and I'm scared witless about even opening the boxes.

Good man, I quite fancy the Tiger and Cirrus Moth they do so I might have a crack at another one soon. In other news I went with the boy to see Dunkirk so the day wasn't entirely lost.

• Like 2

Crikey, I miss 10 days and all sorts happen!

I hope your shoulder isn't too painful. Get well soon. 

You made some incredible progress with this very tricky kit, over a very short period of time. You've really done an outstanding job :thumbsup2: .

With a number of Amodel and other earlier shirt run kits; I've had to keep tackling them over and over again until I (hopefully) discover the right 'recipe' to the build order, to rectifying things that don't fit, aren't strong enough, are attached to the sprue in a horrendous way or just don't look right.

I took a fair bit of ribbing, for stripping one model of its paint 3 times on a WIP here on BM, but I built it up again and it's 'nearly' there. 

This could be a bit of a mission for you, with their Moths. I've made it mine with their I-16's.

Like Big X I'll be there cheering along on and off forum. I have three of these (a metal moth, a Gypsy Major and an Arctic one with canopy). I only got as far as carefully taking parts off the runners for the metal moth. Then developed a very furrowed brow, put it in a zip lock bag until I felt a bit more capable.

If I could tentatively suggest anything with this one it would be; remove the rigging and struts, put it safely away and treat it as an unbuilt kit. Maybe in the future you could strip the paint, fabricate some struts from squashed e.g. Albion alloys rod?

Either way; you've done so well; it can certainly be rescued.

I think Amy carried some pretty bizarre things on the side of her aircraft; maybe even a big shovel on the port side!

As for the markings; I think the appearance of the aircraft changed a little over time, but I'm no expert.

The bottle green is certainly elusive and very attractive; your colour looks to be very close.

As an aside; how about a kitbash using the struts and wing etc from an old FROG kit? They're not bad at all and available at shows and on the net for next to nothing?

I'll stop waffling on :blah: , just to say , thanks again for giving it your all. It looks more like the start of a solution than the end of a build ;).

Happy rest of your Sunday, put your feet up and rest that shoulder.

Best regards :bye:

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words Tony and thanks to Big X and everyone else for their support. All is not lost, I'll shift it to a WIP and finish off there - the prototype jig is taking shape already

35273229884_9197190f24_b.jpg

• Like 1