STAR WARS "Millennium Falcon" - 1/72 by Revell Master Series

Hello,

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away . . .  everybody knows this opera of the biggest space opera all the time: STAR WARS.

I always thought about the wonderful spaceship of Han Solo which is the most beautiful space ship ever in my eyes... now I want to build the Falcon finally... in 1/72 scale from Revell's Master Series. The kit is equal to the Fine Molds kit with more then 900 parts.

Additionally I will use the etched parts from Paragrafix, some 3D-printed parts for the guns, the cockpit and the antenna. The engine will receive some clear resin parts, the exhausts some resin updates as well.

And ... the most important thing for the Falcon.... I will illuminate it. It is the first time I will do this ... 

So let's start... I began with the planning of the lights. Finally I have decided to go like this:

63gh4pzk.jpg

Red = red LEDs (8), yellow = warm white LEDs (14), blue = cold white LEDs (5), light blue = LED strap for the engine (1), plus one blue LED and some fibre optics for the cockpit.

Here we go with the LEDs marked on the hull (downside):

3nuws23f.jpg

5woxgca2.jpg

7s8bjn5i.jpg

wuvnebdh.jpg

p8dochj8.jpg

uwxwyy3p.jpg

8q6uvypc.jpg

um58xkri.jpg

Next I will add some details on the outside and inside of the bottom side of the ship, then I will drill the holes and make the wiring ...

I hope you like the new project ...

Cheers
Micha

Edited by elmarriachi
  • Like 9

that is a good start.

i love this spaceship too.

i will watch your progress with great interest because i would like to do the same at my MPC.

thank you for sharing it with us ;)

Hello,

I have added some first detail parts on the underside of the Falcon. Some of these inserts were assembled separately, some piping added then inserted from the inside, glued and screwed (!).

x7e2i44t.jpg

jl6kogk2.jpg

ecrll5pb.jpg

lvyisvyl.jpg

ewmtv23i.jpg

Here you could see the clear/blue resin parts for the engine which will replace the plastic parts of the kit. 

zuzi4ohc.jpg

Next step will be the "lightbox" for the engine illumination ...

Cheers
Micha

• Like 2

Hello,

I have added some more parts and details on the lower part of the hull... the area around the engine is nearly finished ...

qzts94yd.jpg

ilgko2c3.jpg

tn6i35p5.jpg

opp44ksp.jpg

For the illimination of the engine I have used the kits part (a box light part which is mounted behind the grille). I have removed the back of the boxand painted the rest in black. Then I have glued the clear resin parts at the backside of the frame (rest of the "box"). The box I have extended on the backside with plastic sheed about 1cm, parallel to the backside of the box. Then I have glued the blue LED-stripe on a plastic stripe in the high of the box. painted this and the extension in silver. The stripe with the LEDs Ihave glued on the backside of the box as back panel.
I have used Tape to fix the back wall better and to close all remaining gaps. Then I have glued Aluminium foil with super glue all around the new "lightbox", the wires leaving the box on the side and will go through the hull later.

That's how it looks like ...

5p6fq6j5.jpg

lm8mijol.jpg

l2xswuv7.jpg

dhndlttj.jpg

wzeajv8v.jpg

d6p5v5pe.jpg

I think that this is ok ... I like it :)

Cheers

Micha

• Like 6

Hello.

all the kits parts of the underside of the hull are mounted and the holes for all the LED lamps drilled inside the hull.

I have installed the wiring and the LED for testing ....  lot of wires (without the LEDs for the engine). Next I will make the base and the stand which will include the wires then.

omnomnyr.jpg

ufh3u99c.jpg

... and lights on for testing ... 

2ciabtlv.jpg

jj9f5doc.jpg

3nx55u2y.jpg

huid2jiw.jpg

gaqo29tg.jpg

qxqkrk6n.jpg

Some nice small figures are included with the kit, it is even possible to recognize the persons.... I will install Han Solo the captain, Chewbacca and on the seats behind C3P0 and Luke Skywalker.

mqm6uqmk.jpg

agjiv6rs.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

after having added all parts as far as necessary I have sprayed the inside of upper and lower hull in black before gluing the LEDs in the holws with white glue.

Around every LED I have added a piece of plastic pipe which was glued in place and filled with white glue from the top side...  Then the lightbox for the engine was installed...

... and all wires put together.... finally, there will be four wires going out from a hole in the center of the bottom, inside the display stand...

e36eka8b.jpg

2ptz2x5m.jpg

ezmqm4bn.jpg

jmt8ql5y.jpg

zphfk3qb.jpg

um5u2rrd.jpg

Before having installed the lightbox, the rear side of the hull was painted already ... 

49nj6kvu.jpg

vwklukeq.jpg

Once all the glue was set I have painted also the plastic pipes and the filled white glue in black....

Now there is no chance for any light shining somewhere where it is not planned :) A testing and everything works as it should :)

Also the LEDs for the cockpit were added now, the lower cockpit area glued to the lower part of the hull.

p36ri852.jpg

jzfjsm4x.jpg

gers75ab.jpg

xttxm53x.jpg

e8pidwmd.jpg

vfs265so.jpg

Once everything is finished in the inside of the hull the upper hull was put on top.... testing, some wires putting in place.... testing, some plastic removing from the lower side of the upper hull at the center of it .... testing ... fits.
The upper side was mounted on the lower one with scews... then the lights tested again ... works. :)

After that I have added all the  side panels full of added details and the upper part of the cockpit. The docking ports left and right were replaced with 3D-printed parts, painted also black from the inside.
Also the radar on the top and the engine nozzles were 3D-printed parts with correct size and better details. The engine will receive some etched grills later after the primering.

hr7v57hg.jpg

3ry2ug8i.jpg

o8h7xys2.jpg

egicgdkn.jpg

tb2mp67h.jpg

eabn7pyb.jpg

8fr96lu2.jpg

c3nnd3w9.jpg

eaita69s.jpg

yf2dhmph.jpg

el5zttbj.jpg

zww8u9ma.jpg

vgovx3cm.jpg

w8h88l7y.jpg

wuek5tkc.jpg

4r2ow7bz.jpg

With the Dremel I have added some damages as it is seen in several pictures of the movie ... some holes on the upper side nect to the radar, some scratches on the lower side.... 

Now everything is ready for some first primering :)

Cheers

Micha

• Like 3

Hi Micha

This is coming along nicely - I am following with interest. I bought this kit last year but have shelved it as I am now 77 issues into building the 1/32 studio scale DeAgostini alternative Falcon from TESB and ROTJ which put the Revel Fine Moulds kit slightly lower down in my priority list.

I have not opened up the Revel kit part bags so seeing what you have on the bench here is of interest and your lighting loom looks to be quite a masterpiece and something I will certainly use as a reference if or when I build my Revel Master series kit.

Your Revel kit here is a good inbetweener in terms of Falcon size and scale. The Bandai 1/144 kit is just too small for me whereas the DeAgostini is a real beaut in 1/32 but weights a ton (even as far as episode 77 of the 100 sets)

Keep up the good work - I'll be sure to drop in for a regular catch up on your assembly

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

first the frames of the cockpit windows were painted, then the window parts were glued over the cockpit.

6wepofo8.jpg

o4mxgoxf.jpg

A first layer of primer over the shapeways parts followed next so that the colors will adhere better on these parts...

9ugm5bgq.jpg

9v38l8eq.jpg

jnedejwp.jpg

z3enqgdy.jpg

Next I have added a lot of black pre-shading on the complete falcon which will remain visible under the final painting ...

9xtmmlhg.jpg

5fxw66nf.jpg

rjavuyfg.jpg

The final painting is consisting of a mixture of white, buff and dark grey and a lot of thinner sprayed over the falcon in thin layers, remaining the preshading visible.

8vaejcud.jpg

4vw8ktzr.jpg

2pyoexqt.jpg

329zyk4s.jpg

bat9lxcv.jpg

The decals followed next... yellow, dark grey and red colored decals on the upper and lowered side of the hull. I do not know why, but the red decals were horor. They crumbled at every corner, no matter how much of softener was used ....

3yaszoc8.jpg

83utegk7.jpg

rsbff5dd.jpg

4a5ts9pq.jpg

7wmpok5x.jpg

pmevbq2p.jpg

fggnti7m.jpg

sng4ohuy.jpg

rdak8ipl.jpg

rpfh3bkp.jpg

Next followed some clear coart to protect the decals for the weathering...

Cheers
Micha

• Like 2

Hello,

some more updates of the weathering of the Falcon. First I have painted the exhausts with thinned black color with the airbrush in several thin layers. Black color was also used for other areas on the hull as well as on the damaged areas.

With brown colors I have varied the color of the exhaust streaks, Tamiya Smoke was used for some further variations of the colors on the hull.

A washing with black oil colors was used next on the complete hull, specially on the joints between the several plates on the hull. 

Clear coat matt came next on everything, then some black, brown, rusty and silver pigments.

The two cannones were built and painted. I have used 3D printed cannons instead of the kit parts as these were much better deteailed. The frames of the windows were hand painted and weathered.

jfddlcd7.jpg

nuwq2bkb.jpg

qxhodum5.jpg

skae5tdg.jpg

wqbul6p8.jpg

z68tzpoo.jpg

fqx3tb7b.jpg

llsrwjzx.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 3

Hello,

the  Falcon reached his final place. The base is made of a wooden plate with a wooden frame under it. Sanded and sprayed in glossy black.

The switches for the lights are installed on the right side of the frame, all the wiring is inside the base, only the two connectors for the batteries are outside of the base.

All cables between Falcon and base are going through the aluminium tube.

Next following some drybrushing and last details .

n57p9zlg.jpg

rsxjcw7c.jpg

kdzcrnxy.jpg

lvizr6k4.jpg

lf7wvi89.jpg

s3dgyjdk.jpg

9xsb36e7.jpg

hd9su67t.jpg

4scaw8zx.jpg

6rp9zvwj.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I want to close this building report with a first night picture of the finished Millennium Falcon.

azzbwc96.jpg

Pictures of the finished Falcon will follow these days! 

I hope that you like it! 

Cheers

Micha

• Thanks 1