1:72 Airfix SM.79 - finished after 15 years.

This model has taken me a long time. It has a lot of emotions involved for me - but today I finally finished it. 

If you want to read the little story behind it please find it on my site here : Click here to read the story about the SM79

Due to the nature of this kit, and the fact it was 're-made' and, as such, was my first ever model in about 10 years - I know it isn't the best, and I appreciate it doesn't look fantastic. I could have re-painted it now, and done it a lot better - but I have other SM.79 kits for that. I wanted to leave this as it was.

33232156456_31b7763788_h.jpg

33273424145_a6f39df71d_h.jpg

33273424235_3427956306_h.jpg

33273423825_4a71aa62a5_b.jpg

• Like 31

Hello Lex,

Even with 15 years, you're right on this one, Nice job.

And welcome back in Styrene world.

Hum, my longest making for a kit is an A-10 from Monogram, started in 1988, not yet finished....

Remade 2 times, hope to make as good as your SM 79.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi,

this is actually rather good!

I have a few kits that were started more than 15 years ago, and still languishing unfinished in their boxes....

Not good, but such is life!

Good show and I shall wait for the other SM79s!

JR

Nice to read about the Sparverio saga, I remember building it when I was a teenager and proudly showing my parents my first ever ( and actually last!) stipple paint brush scheme!  All my models were first put into confinement under the house then tossed out after I left home and joined the Air Force so I have no "nostalgia" models , the oldest is probably 12 years old.

A great back story and a very nice model :).

Really nice job on the paint scheme, it's very tricky.

This SM 79 kit was also my first model kit; bought for me by my grandfather 47 years ago. I put so muck paint on it wouldn't dry :lol:!

It's surprising how many people have happy memories about this kit. It's a great looking aircraft.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Nice job on this Lexi, this was one of my early kits, 40+ years ago, I still have it largely complete but it really does need a make over, seeing what you've done with this is strong inspiration to have another look at mine. :)

Steve.

Nice build. I've been working on one for two years, but having seen a real one in the Italian Air Force Museum outside Rome I'm keen to continue.

The Airfix kit has a lot of charm, even if it's got the wrong type of radial engines! You've brought out that charm.

Good to see your Sparviero, worth the wait and  proof that you should never give up. Modelling is a thread which  runs through the best parts of our lives.  I think that the longest kit that I've had on "hold" was the CA Atkins Defiant. Started in  1991  having bought it from the great man himself in Bridlington and finally finished it  in the spring of last year. That and the original plump Classic Airframes one,  but couldn't have them overtaking by the  Airfix kit...

Edited by matti64

Hello Lexi, excellent result, and an fascinating back story.

My dad introduced me to model kits in Aden - I got a Fokker Friendship as a Christmas present in 1964(ish), and he said he would help me build it. Well, I was impatient, and stuck it together with sellotape! I twisted the parts off the runners (I was only 6), but I like to think I have improved since then! My follow up kit was the Bismarck, which I did allow him to help me with. When he gave it to me, he said that if I wanted to swap it, there was a model of an oil tanker I could have instead, so I wonder if that would have been the Frog Shell Welder?

All the best,

Ray

On 8/03/2017 at 10:19 PM, 3DStewart said:

The Airfix kit has a lot of charm, even if it's got the wrong type of radial engines! You've brought out that charm.

This sounds a bit interesting & not something I'm familiar with, can you expand on this please?

Steve.

11 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

This sounds a bit interesting & not something I'm familiar with, can you expand on this please?

Steve.

I assume you mean the engines rather than the charm.

The three engined SM79s had Alfa Romeo 126 RC 34 engines.  These are 9 cylinder single bank radials. Airfix provide 14 cylinder twin banked radials.

Hi Stewart, yes definitely engines, first I've ever heard of this, I guess I haven't been paying attention. :(  A google confirms this, the RC.34 being a Bristol derivitive, a bit like a Mercury/Pegasus, I'll restore my old one as is but that means I'll be looking for some replacements for the other I have in stock, it might be easier to get an Italeri one but where is the fun in that. :D

Steve.