Planning on building this kit,

Airfix_MRCA_Box_zpsk5hckcyg.jpg

Cost me 3 quid at Gloucester show 2016.

Part started by someone else - I hope there's still enough fun left in this build

Airfix_MRCA_Parts_zpsw1addikh.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Completed
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see this one in the GB. 

I always wanted it as a wee lad, but somehow it never happened :(.

Glad to see that you're doing the pilots too. Will it be undercarriage up?

Im wondering if the transfers are ok? There are a few ways they could be saved if they're suffering a bit. I too, have never seen this scheme built.

Looking forward to this

Welcome and enjoy!

All the best

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
not decals TRANSFERS!!!!

14 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I too, have never seen this scheme built.

I have.  When the "New" on the box was true.  But I seem to recall the Humbrol white gloss yellowed pretty quickly anyway, so problems with the TRANSFERS would have been academic!

I remember that glorious artwork box appearing on one of the higher shelves at the local Newsagents in Grange Hill (in Essex, not on TV) where 90% of my kits came from, but I guess that kit must have been a present or bought with birthday money.

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
More info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, malpaso said:

so problems with the TRANSFERS would have been academic

I often write transfers/decals, but for this kit, it certainly was TRANSFERS.

I remember the yellowing white paint too, but was it Airfix or Humbrol gloss that was the worst for yellowing? They seemed to take a long time to dry too.

Wording corrected :D:lol:.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

As a14 year-old I hated masking the red and black areas as there was no obvious starting point or waypoint shown on the instructions, an obvious panel joint for example , to line up the tape with.  Apart from that I really enjoyed this kit and I really should succumb to temptation if I see another one on a trader's stand at a show this year.  

As for XX946 she is now in the care of the RAF Museum at Cosford, albeit now wearing Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey camouflage, having ended her working life as a weapons loading trainer.  She does, however, appear still to have the original fin root trailing edge fairing between rudder and tailpipes.

Yellowing Humbrol: if you wanted something that really yellowed you should use the gloss varnish (35?), a true horror!  Having slapped this on to give a shiny base for the transfers I then applied matt varnish over the top (I was trying to model XZ631 in full camouflage).  This changed the Humbrol 27 Dark Sea Grey substitute to something approaching Humbrol 31.  I didn't do that again!

Edited by stever219

Photobucket has lost all my photos since March. That's all the photos for this build.

I've contacted them to ask for restoration, but will be hanging fire for a while.

In the meantime I assembled the model last night - fuselage, wings and elevators.  Looks like a white Tornado.

Interesting you have issues with Photobucket as over here in the Big Mango it's really unusable most of the time. 

Looking forward to seeing the jump to a finished scheme. 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looks good Tim, you're doing a beaut job on this old girl.

Steve.

Thanks.  I built this kit when it came out - that was before I knew about masking.  Well mine finished up overall black - well over a decade before The Saint Tornado.

This is coming along very nicely. Brings back memories - I think I built this kit when it was first released - don't really remember the kit but I remember the box art. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.