Takom Krupp 21cm Mörser 10 (1/35 scale)

Fresh off the heels of my Whippet build, I decided to stick with the First World War theme and build this interesting little kit from Takom. The kit gives you two options for construction: the short-barreled 1910 model and it's replacement, the long-barreled 1916 model. I opted for the 1910 model because the color guide shows a piece captured by Canadian soldiers of the 27th Battalion (City of Winnipeg) during the Battle of Vimy Ridge in April 1917.

IMG_4880.JPG

Overall, this kit goes together well with no major issues. The biggest problem is the photo etch rifling for the barrel; it's kind of a pain because it's too large and rolling photo etch can be troublesome, but after trimming a couple of ridges off it went it much better. The two pins under the barrel housing snapped while I was attempting to remove them from the sprue, so they were replaced with brass rod. The support rods for the gun shield didn't quite fit so I cut them off and will replace them with styrene rod after assembly (the gun shield was left off for ease of painting). I also added a few extra bolts taken from the spares provided in the Whippet kit plus pins for the wheels and gun mount.

IMG_4886.JPG

I used Alclad grey primer and then preshaded with Tamiya German Grey (XF-63). The main color is Ammo of MIG Yellow Grey and the green is Pale Green mixed with Yellow Grey. A different green is listed in the color call-out, but the Pale Green is closer to the pictures provided. All of the chipping was done with Yellow Grey (over the green areas) and a mix of some Vallejo dark browns and black over everything else. The track pads were also painted with XF-63 separately from the wheels.

IMG_4909.JPG

After a brown filter was applied over the entire model to tone everything down and bring the colors together, the rivets and details were given a wash with Dark Green Grey panel line wash from Ammo of MIG's aircraft line and some streaking was applied with MIG Streaking Grime. After gluing the track pads to the wheels, I sponged on some Yellow Grey to simulate worn off paint. With a majority of the weathering done, the model was given a coat of gloss varnish to seal in the enamels and prep the surface for the two decals representing graffiti applied by Canadian troops to claim their prize (these are applied after weathering to show fresh paint). After the decals go on, I'll add more dirt buildup using oils and more enamels on the lower areas of the model.

• Like 2

That looks pretty impressive so far Scooty.  On second thought Damned Impressive.  I love those Mickey Mouse wheels/pads they used on some of the bigger guns.  Must have been fun to tow.

Your bench looks like mine, but where's the coffee?

I ordered one of these from the LHS  on Friday so I'll have something to go with my MK IV's and V's and Whippet.  This WWI stuff is sort of contagious.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Your bench looks like mine, but where's the coffee?

Out of frame on a coaster off to the left of my big cutting mat. I try to clean my workbench after every project but it usually just ends up looking exactly like it did before in about an hour!

20 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

It looks great, a beast, with the weathering, sure to look even better ...:popcorn:

Cheers Scooty

Thanks mate!

IMG_4915.JPG

Following a coat of Alclad gloss, I applied the awesome graffiti decals on the gun shield and barrel. The decals are extremely matte but seemed to go down better than the ones on the Whippet. I had to cut the "WPG" part of red lettering on the barrel off and apply it separately to make it fit properly. There is also a little curled piece on that part of the decal that I think is from my cutting it; I've tried to force it down with some MicroSol but haven't been successful. I'll most likely attempt to slice it off with a sharp scalpel blade. The carrier film is pretty obvious, but after they dry I'll seal them in with some gloss varnish followed by some matte varnish to hopefully make the carrier film disappear.

I didn't know they had guns like this in Winnipeg.

Seriously, it's looking pretty sweet and I don't see anything wrong with the decals.  I like the chipping effect on the shield and anywhere it could be worn and abused.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Seriously, it's looking pretty sweet and I don't see anything wrong with the decals.

Thanks!

The decals are okay, they're just really matte so the film stands out compared to the glossy surface of the model. I think once they're sealed and everything if flat coated they'll be just fine. The big one on the gun shield laid down quite nice and so did the one on the barrel, except for that one tiny spot. It's above the P in "WPG" and you can't really see it from this photo, but it's pretty noticeable in person. I think it will be an easy fix, though.

IMG_4921.JPG

While the decals dry, I set to work adding some dirt and grime with 502 Abteilung oil paints. I used a couple of different browns to vary the finish, adding anywhere that gunk and dirt would likely buildup. I don't usually do this with oils as I much prefer using enamels, but I thought it would be a good way to practice a skill that I feel needs improvement in my part.

• Like 2

I'm sure mine won't look like it's sitting behind the trench line like this one does.   Or did you just shrink the real thing and take it apart for pictures?

Trying to think of a suitable word, how does "fantastic" sound?

I'm sort of salivating waiting for your Takom MK V if it looks as good as this one.

Keep it up,

Lloyd

• Like 1

krupplogo2.jpg

I cleaned my camera's sensor yesterday so I took a couple test shots of the nearly-complete 21cm Mörser just to make sure I got all the specs of dust off (I did). Since I took a picture, I decided to figure out where and how I wanted to add the title. The problem was finding a spot for the manufacturer and scale. Normally, this would go near the subject name but I also wanted to add "Battle of Vimy Ridge, April 1917" near the title. Having the manufacturer and scale, along with the battle and date seemed out of place so I added it above my "signature" at the bottom. I think it turned out okay and I'm very excited about finishing this and taking the full walk around pictures.

I say "nearly complete" because I still need to add the pigment/dirt mix on the wheels, box trail, and spade tail. I'll be using MIG Pigment Fixer, which I have never used before. I have some pigment fixed with it drying on a paint mule as I type this to made sure it turns out the way I want.

• Like 1