conveting a B-17 to PB-1V?

Killingholme

Hi all,

I know the US navy got hold of some B-17s late in WWII and converted them to PB-1W spec. Those are the aircraft with the characteristic AN/APS-20 radar housings fitted.

However, I have also seen reference to a PB-1V, which didn't have the radar. It got me thinking that this could be a really "easy win" conversion from a standard 1/72 B-17 kit. (without having to purchase a dedicated PB-1W conversion set such as RVHP)

Also, I found this particularly cool photo of a PB-1V with a quarter-scale F8F Bearcat aerodynamic model hanging under it.

Untitled_zps3qmsza9h.png

So...

1) does anyone know anything much about the PB-1V (which I suspect isn't even a real designation)?

2) What would be the most appropriate 1/72 B-17 kit to use as a basis for conversion (I'm thinking waist gun openings, tail turrets, etc etc)?

3) In the photo above, is it most likely the anti-glare areas are Olive Drab or Non-Specular Sea Blue?

Will

Edited by Killingholme

And to make things more complicated I have just found that the aircraft in the photo above was actually an ex-B17F converted to G standard...

34106 Douglas-Long Beach PB-1W Fortress - B-17F-75-DL
42-3521 from USAAF delivered to US Navy

So what does that mean for kit choice then?!

Hi, Killingholme

If you choose a B-17F kit as a basis, conversion would include new bombardier's transparency and replacement of cheek guns with windows, possibly new wheels and some minor modifications like Tokyo tanks, blanking over top and ventral turret positions etc. If you start with a B-17G kit (avoid those with staggered waist gun positions and Cheyenne tail turret), your main tasks would be to remove chin turret and to blank over its position, replace cheek guns with windows and replace waist gun transparencies with E-F type sliding covers with windows. While you would not have to bother with Tokyo tanks, top and ventral turret positions would still have to be blanked over, along with some other less difficult stuff.

Perhaps the least difficult way would be to combine a B-17F kit with AM transparencies, search your spare parts boxes for anything suitable and scratchbuild the rest. Unfortunately, I cannot suggest which kit to pick, as opinions about their quality vary considerably. Not much of a help, but someone with better knowledge will probably soon drop by. Cheers

Jure

Your best bet would be the Academy E kit, and source a Falcon early G model nose transparency. That'll save a lot of fiddly mods to the forward windows where the navigator and bombardier sat. 

I think Falcon to the astrodome, too. I have some spare F model props if you want them, whilst in this scale the difference in nacelle length between the E and the F would be negligible.