Fiat G.91 ejection seat

ReccePhreak

I just got the urge to start on my Italeri 1/48 Fiat G.91 R1/3/4 "Gina" Kit 2645, and was wondering which aftermarket MB Mk.4 ejection seat would be correct for it. There are a number of different "variants" of the seat listed on Hannants, but none state that they are for the "Gina" I am thinking about doing the Portuguese R-4 variant, if that makes a difference in seat types.

I was thinking about a cockpit set, but the Neomega and Small World Accessories cockpit seta are designed for the Heller & Ocidental Réplicas kits..

Larry

11 minutes ago, Hook said:

AFAIK the G.91 used a MB IW6A seat. 

HTH,

Andre

Andre,

Thanks for that info. AFAIK, nobody makes that seat in 1/48 scale. :fraidnot:

The closest one I found was the Wolfpack 1/48 Martin Baker Mk.WY6AM Ejection Seat (for Italeri MB.326K kit).

I wonder it hat would be close enough?

Larry

Occidental (and the Heller re-release) is a nearly 1:1 copy of the ESCI kit, but have engraved panellines and sadly the vortex generators at the end of the fuselage are removed too. So I think the aftermarket resin pits should fit.

17 minutes ago, JayBee said:

Occidental (and the Heller re-release) is a nearly 1:1 copy of the ESCI kit, but have engraved panellines and sadly the vortex generators at the end of the fuselage are removed too. So I think the aftermarket resin pits should fit.

Thanks, but on my limited Disability Income, I can't justify paying $25.00 + shipping for the Neomega cockpit set, and hope it should fit.

I may just find a MB Mk.4 seat that looks close and use it. Anything will look better than the kit "seat".

Larry

The G.91R used both the Mk.4 and the Mk.6 during its service, so the type of seat you need depends on the aircraft you're modelling and its timeframe.

The original seat was the Mk.4 in the G/IW4 variant. Later the seat became the Mk.6 in the GW or IW variant (the first letter is just an indicator of the user, in this case Germany and Italy).

Now the good news are that the Mk.6 meant for the MB.326 are fine for a G.91. Actually the same applies to the Mk.4, the 326 and the G.91 again used the same variant.

The bad news are that aircrafts retrofitted with the Mk.6 (all the ones in Italian service and many others) also received a taller canopy with a more pronounced "bubble". The changeover was completed in Italian service around 1975, no idea of the details of the aircrafts in German and Portuguese service apart from having seen pictures of Portuguese and German G.91s with both types of canopy (and therefore different seats). I don't know what type of canopy in in the Italeri/Esci kit, if you want to stick to accuracy then the type of canopy may limit the aircrafts you can reproduce

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I don't know what type of canopy in in the Italeri/Esci kit, if you want to stick to accuracy then the type of canopy may limit the aircrafts you can reproduce

They are both included in the kit.

Another modification is the frontdoor of the landing gear, where the landing lights are located. The R4 looks different in shape and have only one light. Take a look at some pictures and spot the difference. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

The G.91R used both the Mk.4 and the Mk.6 during its service, so the type of seat you need depends on the aircraft you're modelling and its timeframe.

The original seat was the Mk.4 in the G/IW4 variant. Later the seat became the Mk.6 in the GW or IW variant (the first letter is just an indicator of the user, in this case Germany and Italy).

Now the good news are that the Mk.6 meant for the MB.326 are fine for a G.91. Actually the same applies to the Mk.4, the 326 and the G.91 again used the same variant.

The bad news are that aircrafts retrofitted with the Mk.6 (all the ones in Italian service and many others) also received a taller canopy with a more pronounced "bubble". The changeover was completed in Italian service around 1975, no idea of the details of the aircrafts in German and Portuguese service apart from having seen pictures of Portuguese and German G.91s with both types of canopy (and therefore different seats). I don't know what type of canopy in in the Italeri/Esci kit, if you want to stick to accuracy then the type of canopy may limit the aircrafts you can reproduce

Fantastic reply Giorgio!!!

Since I just recently got an Italeri MB.326K kit (for which I need an ejection seat), and the Portuguese G.91R-4 I was planning to do uses the bulged canopy (both canopies included in the kit), I just ordered 2 of the Mk.6 seats from Sprue Brothers

Larry.

4 hours ago, JayBee said:

They are both included in the kit.

Another modification is the frontdoor of the landing gear, where the landing lights are located. The R4 looks different in shape and have only one light. Take a look at some pictures and spot the difference. :)

Thanks for that info. It took a little searching on the internet to find photos & drawings that showed what you are talking about.

Larry