Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

• 2 weeks later...

so sorry for the delay, i have had my laptop replaced and also had a fair amount on with home and work. I have been plodding on mind and here are the results!

XXII:

all she got since you last saw her is the walk ways painted on using tamiya tape, my eyes and paint...

33439280002_ce6140e4b0_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33212726630_ddd0780760_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the little bit of bleed has been touched up now and she looks bob on. she is pretty much ready for transfers!

I have also started with the mkia and Mkiia 

Mkia:

you will all be aware of just about every nook and cranny for the airfix mkia, but here it is again just in case you missed it some how

interior painted with HU 78 washed with citadel wash and dry brushed with my metal buffing brush.

33466932361_9d479421a9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33438635252_488aaba508_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

after that she got buttoned up, left to dry and the following day got a good sand and and the filters, wings and tail plains added..... this is where she currently sits...

33666708246_a1886a9f42_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

oh and i did the spinner!

MKiia:

this is the revall kit, the cockpit detail is very nice, but then there are a number of other area where the detail is lacking, odd really, the wheel wells and UC are not as good as the airfix at all.... anyway here is the cockpit

painted and ready to assemble

33595731665_594b0abee2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and assembled in its little tray

33554654046_9d49f0cc55_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

this was then installed into the main body and closed up, seams are the same as the airfix and received a really good sanding which appears to have sorted them(after this pic just so you know)

33595035355_0e924cdd27_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the wings were then added, I am not keen on the engineering here, it gives some poor seams on panel lines that are awkward to sand. not very visible in this pic.

32781303843_ef015d515f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the spinner is dry fitted for now and is from the spare airfix MKiia sprue that i had as the prop and nose on the revell on look wrong.

i then removed the front windscreen from an old airfix kit as the revell one again looks wrong.

33578166601_1603ed444f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

it got a lot of micromeshing to tidy it up a bit and then doctored the bottom of this and the fuselage to make it fit. the fit is ok but will need blending. all i did was cut away the lip on the airfix clear parts as that sits inside the cock pit where as the revell on sits on top of the fuselage metal work. the fuselage was also re shaped slightly with cutting and sanding to accept this as best I could

33551108512_bdebea7ed2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

need to let that dry out over night then blend it in. i have also added a few of the underside bits (couple nicked from the airfix kit as it looks better, yes i would recommend you get the airfix mkiia!) 

and here is where she sits now

33707848505_c040eecd12_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33666999026_a3a8b9dad3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

i think i need to tidy up more often...

33466247031_194faf6b7c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and here is a family photos with lables

33323815160_02f9a50e3e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

hope your all well and you like the progress so far!

Rob

• Like 14

Great stuff Rob :clap:  I did a quick scroll down at first and I gasped when I saw that butchered Spitfire, wondering whatever might have happened to her .... :frantic: Then I actually read what you had written, and felt better :phew:  :D:D 

Ciao

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Great progress Rob, and thanks for your 'review' of the new Revell MK II. Looks like AIrfix it is.

Most definitely Cookie, the more I look at it the more irritated I am, looking at the group pic the wings look odd also.... never mind. It will look ok with the paint on I'm sure... hopefully... 

thanks for for all the comments chaps, I hope to get more done tonight.

Rob

• Like 3

so i managed to pluck up the courage to hit the transfers on the XXii, pictures below. There is a bit of silvering which is annoying, i have done some of the larger stencils but don't think i will be doing all the tiny ones, hats off to the chaps that do!

33597302341_b70ac04164_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33597302091_dad57e8c72_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

hmm the under wing roundels don't look completely level, bugger

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 10

It looks to me that you did a great job with transfers here, Rob :clap: I can't see any of the silvering you say; instead, I noticed there's something like a light red overspray on the spinner (visible in the top side pic). Easy fix, me thinks

Ciao

• Like 1

It may not be in the pictures but I know it's there, upper wing roundels have a little and the RAN on the side does as I had trouble getting one to stick down. Also the underwing codes had a lot of carrier film so they are like two big Matt rectangles on a nice polished finish. Nothing a gloss then Matt coat won't sort

Rob

• Like 3

A bright spotlight of the kind we often use for photos is always a harsh thing on showing blemishes that aren't so readily apparent under the conditions we end up displaying the model in Rob. I agree with the others about how well tnose badges look. :D:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rob85 said:

It may not be in the pictures but I know it's there, upper wing roundels have a little and the RAN on the side does as I had trouble getting one to stick down. Also the underwing codes had a lot of carrier film so they are like two big Matt rectangles on a nice polished finish. Nothing a gloss then Matt coat won't sort

Rob

I know what you mean, we can't see but you can.

I find decals with a lot of carrier film are awkward to get to settle, especially if they have to be moved. The '(nearly) boiling water method' might sort it out (but remember to wear rubber gloves).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Beard said:

I know what you mean, we can't see but you can.

I find decals with a lot of carrier film are awkward to get to settle, especially if they have to be moved. The '(nearly) boiling water method' might sort it out (but remember to wear rubber gloves).

Nearly boiling was used with a lot of pressure applied by cotton pads, they have conformed to the surface detail well due to that but the film has a Matt finish to it. It's not a missive issue, very sortable...

giemme the nose cone definitely needs some work, hopefully sorted with a couple of coats of thinned HU90.

Rob

• Like 3

6 hours ago, johnd said:

A Flory Models tutorial can be found here.

Rats. Doesn't work for me John - is it 'members only'?

Edit: This link works. I may try it if I have problems:

• Like 3

Cheers for the info John (and Ced) I will have a little look at that tonight. 

No progress tonight, just finished work and have a banging head, I think bed is a good idea

Rob

• Like 1

i managed to mask off the fighter band on the mkiia before giving up...

I'm off to bed to watch 'the last kingdom' BBC's adaptation of Bernard Cromwell's novel, basically Sharpe with Saxons and Vikings.

loved Sharpe, what a theme tune

the over the hills song was written and sung by John Tams (love his voice) and he also played Rifleman Hagman in the series. little fact for your pub quiz there

night

Rob

• Like 2