Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

To mark the birth of my son (5 today, and Tony tiger! But I have a feeling he is slightly older)) and the spitfire (no I didn't plan that, but I was rather chuffed with it.... the daughter is 5th June, one day short of the big day but I suppose lighting doesn't strike twice. She does get disappointed that she hasn't get a big day to share her birthday with, but she is happy to know they would have been preparing for the day that freed Europe).... anyway to celebrate these days a plan to build a couple of spitfires.... :) 

by couple, I mean I intend to build the below:

airfix mkia 

revell mkiia

eduard mk ix 

airfix mk xxii

airfix mk xix 

airfix mk vb (possibly a few of these and if I feel silly a VC conversion)

to save any confusion (like cookies mega build :) ) I intend to build at least 6 but possibly 8 spitfires.... how silly.... but should be fun! They will take up the time between, finishing my wildcat and building my b-24. I am not in any GB's apart from the flying boat build (might did into the DH GB if I feel the need with a SEAC mozzie but let's not get too crazy) so all this work shouldn't be a problem!

so the markings! 

Mkia and mkiia will be the mounts of Sargent Howard Squire RAF. The Ia will be KL-A that he accidentally rammed Al Deere with in 1940 and has recently been restored after it was found in a river bed (I think) and the mkiia will be KL-E that was shot down by Herbert Ihelfeld on 26th Feb 1941 (the anniversary of which is 2 days before my own birthday). Howard is also the father in law of one of my work mates and they will both be going to the family once finished.

mkxix will be OOB as the PR aircraft from Malaya 

mkix - yet to be confirmed 

mk xxii will be OOB as the Race aircraft

mk VB's and possible C will all be my beloved Malta spitfires! Which I wanted to build for the MTO GB...

I will post pic's of the kits etc once I get home.... any recommendations on the Mk ix then please let me know!

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 13

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

Rob, you're taking the whole concept of "multiple build" several steps beyond! :frantic::D

Ciao

Now you've started doing them I have to raise my game :) I can't match you on quality but I will floor you on quantity! B):tease::giggle:

Rob

• Like 3

Great.

I do love a project build. 

I'll enjoy the show.

And as for your daughter not having a "big day" to share her birthday with I do think every Dane will disagree. :D

Denmark celebrate their Constitution Day (grundlovsdag) on June 5th.

Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_(Denmark)

/Bosse 

• Like 4

Cheers all, this build should hopefully achieve a few things for me 1. I get to build lots of beautiful spitfires 2. I am literally building every spitfire I own, after this I will have no choice but to buy more :( 3. I get to honour a great guy and the family get some little tributes to him.... hopefully they see this as a good thing to.

pics of the kits I have so far found (still looking for a mk vc box with a vc and a ia hiden inside) to follow.

Rob  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, rob85 said:

1. I get to build lots of beautiful spitfires.

2. I am literally building every spitfire I own, after this I will have no choice but to buy more.

3. I get to honour a great guy and the family get some little tributes to him...

All good reasons.

• Like 1

so here's the plan with the MKv's, I will be taking the kit from here

33141507301_5c32db111d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the Mk VB from here

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjl9u27icLSAhWBHxQKHXydCCIQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FAirfix-A02040-Supermarine-Spitfire-MkVc%2Fdp%2FB0009E36GM&psig=AFQjCNHTGHlQkXAlmLXmGfhkrxjZgAYbog&ust=1488896403183564

and then I plan to Frankenstein a MkVC out of an airfix MkIa and the left overs of the VC.... Wish me luck with that one

I will also be using this transfer sheet 

33130243352_2a8acc90f1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and i intend to do the below mark vb's

33244801696_459bb1e694_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and 

33130243162_33058398a6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I'm going to look a bit more at the colour of GN-B, I know that old can of worms but it interests me so why not.

the VC will be the below...

33157559241_2c7c02657c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

However I will be taking my inspiration from Tony O'tooles brilliant model and resurch, she will end up a lovely shade of Blue! (its GL-J by the way, I know it says MK VB but that's a lie...) Also I only have one tropical filter, that will need looking at!

Eduard Mk ix will be the profipack boxing and here is the box and the options.

33228449586_3ffa0dba67_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32426617424_7514bfa0e0_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Or I have this

33286115505_52f2c3fa5a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

any thoughts?

The kit as we all know by now is stunning and that, as with their hellcat, slightly intimidates me! I will be going back over @Procopius, @Cookenbacher and @CedB builds as well as any others I can find. I will also be using as much PE as i can, but cant promise it all.

for the MKia i will be using the standard airfix kit, I have a few of them but no pictures. the revell kit is currently in my other stash, its called Ebay and will be bought on Friday (pay day). transfers will come from spares and generic sheets for both as they are fairly standard.

then finally, and the two that I will start with are these ladies.

33228450056_f04ac68035_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Mk XIX will be the box top option as i have a the sweed already complete and in the cabinet. The Mk XXII wiil be in the below get up....

33286316845_b9aefea328_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I personally think it looks a lot cooler than the all over silver!

@Marlin I will let her know! I will have to explain who the Danes are I expect, but she will be made up.... but she probably wont know why.

Cheers all, comment welcome.

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 11

Wot a lot o boxes... can't wait to see these coming together Rob. 

Labs please otherwise I'll never learn / keep up! :) 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

Wot a lot o boxes... can't wait to see these coming together Rob. 

Labs please otherwise I'll never learn / keep up! :) 

There shall be labels Ced.... for all our benifit! 

Rob

• Like 2

This is wonderful Rob! Before now I though the only interesting thing about being born on the 5th of March, was that it was also the day Stalin kicked the bucket in 1953 :o!

Now, thanks to PC, I found out it's Spitfire birthday day, and also your son (who must be told it's Spitfire birthday day) too :pilot: !.

Britmodeller seems to be going through a Spitfire frenzy at the moment. Even I'm caught up in it, but only with the one. There are Supermarine production lines springing up on threads all over the place :D!

Those Maltesers look very tasty Rob, they even have a caramel honeycomb colour.... :).

You have lots of nice choices for the Mk. IX. I like the Polish Eduard scheme (W/O Henry Dygala), but the NMF Italian scheme, Clostermann and Greek schemes are nice too, in fact they all are :frantic:!

Have fun, I'm on row two with a Raspberry Mivi and the usual popcorn 

:popcorn:

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

any thoughts

I like the 32 Squadron plane but I also like the 302 Squadron one and also have some tropical filters, let me know if you need one or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The call of the Spitfire is strong - can't wait to see these!

I've got several spare tropical filters if you need 'em.

Pm sent, cheers but also see below from Simon, his postage would be a little less??!

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

I'm in here for this show Cheers:popcorn:

Very nice to have you along!

43 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This is wonderful Rob! Before now I though the only interesting thing about being born on the 5th of March, was that it was also the day Stalin kicked the bucket in 1953 :o!

Now, thanks to PC, I found out it's Spitfire birthday day, and also your son (who must be told it's Spitfire birthday day) too :pilot: !.

Britmodeller seems to be going through a Spitfire frenzy at the moment. Even I'm caught up in it, but only with the one. There are Supermarine production lines springing up on threads all over the place :D!

Those Maltesers look very tasty Rob, they even have a caramel honeycomb colour.... :).

You have lots of nice choices for the Mk. IX. I like the Polish Eduard scheme (W/O Henry Dygala), but the NMF Italian scheme, Clostermann and Greek schemes are nice too, in fact they all are :frantic:!

Have fun, I'm on row two with a Raspberry Mivi and the usual popcorn 

:popcorn:

All the best

TonyT

Raspberry mivi! Don't hear that very often!

it must be the moon, planet alignment/position and its birthday making them rise again! I am trying to address a balance in my collection.... it's very radial heavy at the moment (not even including the 4 attached to the lib) and wanted to get some more inlines built, and there's nothing that says inline like a spitfire! :) 

i may do something similar for the work horse that is the hurricane....

31 minutes ago, Beard said:

I like the 32 Squadron plane but I also like the 302 Squadron one and also have some tropical filters, let me know if you need one or two.

Fine choices hmmmm I may need to start a tally! 

I need two simon, which cookie said he would send, however he is rather far away so I might take you up on the offer to save cookie the higher postage cost??! 

I have found the missing vc and ia.... and another vb :) this might be getting a bit out of control....

Rob

• Like 5

2 hours ago, melvyn hiscock said:

I sang Happy Birthday as I drove past Southampton Airport yesterday

As well you should, as well as salute every time you pass! :) 

i work next to castle Bromwich for three years and the Dunlop aircraft tyre factory and roll Royce site were at the back door of my store.... I felt very happy/proud  going past such history and the spitfire roundabout every day. 

Cheers for comments!

Rob

• Like 5