Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

Hope that's explained correctly?

Rob

Perfectly Rob. It's called an autonomous stem cell transplant, where you donate the stem cells to yourself. (The other type is called an allogenic stem cell transplant when the donor cells come from someone who has good results on the tissue typing, preferrably 6/6). When I first went into remission in 2002, I was prepared for this procedure because the hematologist/oncologist was quite sure it was going to come back quickly so I had my stem cells harvested. After some high strength chemo, I also went in every day for an injection that would stimulate the growth of new stem cells in my bone marrow, which then begin circulating in the blood. (These can eventually turn into all sorts of different things - red/white blood cells, bone marrow, etc. Amazing.)

Every day there was also a blood test checking for a protein that is a good marker of how many new stem cells are circulating. Once the protein reached a certain level it was time to harvest, a procedure called apherisis. To me, this was very similar to a dialysis machine - blood out of one arm, into the machine, and then back into the other arm. I went for apherisis for three days in a row, each session was maybe three hours. The centrifuge separates the stem cells which are collected in a bag, and once a bag is full I had to sign and date the bag since they were going to be stored. I thought the contents of the bag looked rather like tomato soup. The bags of stem cells are then irradiated to do everything possible to make sure there is nothing malignant in there - which is always a chance. The stem cells are then frozen, and I believe are good for ten years or so. They collected my brother's as well, since he was a perfect match on the tissue typing. His cells were considered for a last-resort effort. As it turned out, my remission lasted for 12 years, way beyond expectations, and we never used the cells.

Transplanting the harvested cells back into the patient is as you describe, and it's quite nasty. The extra chemo and radiation are again necessary to make sure all malignant cells in the patient are gone - plus your current immune system has to be killed off. The transplant gives you a new one. The big risk is something called graft vs. host disease, kind of like organ rejection but much worse. The risk of this is MUCH higher if the stem cells come from someone else, this is why autonomous stem cell transplants are much preferred. It's a long recovery period after the transplant.

It sounds like your friend is in good hands, and I wish her much success. She'll need courage to proceed, but she sounds like the type that will take the bull by the horn and get on with it. Please extend my best wishes to her.

As for you modelling types, sorry for the off-topic conversation. Certainly it's good for Rob and myself to compare notes, whereby we both can learn something, but I like putting it out in the open so others may learn something that might be of benefit to them later on. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Her ex-husband sounds like a real cad. 

• Like 4

Your friend has clearly gone through a tough time. Hopefully, with your support (and, possibly, your blood) she'll come through the other side. On a modelling note, I'm glad the Spitfire parts arrived and that you've put them to good use.

Bill, I hope you are well and hope to see anothet of your builds soon.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your kind words!

Bill cad is putting it mildly, I won't go through every detail but he royally messed her about. She is currently living off savings as he sacked her from his family business when she divorced him! Anyway. That is some great information, really helps me understand what she will be going through. She does know it's going to be really hard but also that it's her only option. Others that have been through the same have basically said it's hell but after they recover they feel amazing and they are cured, I really hope that's the case! Amazing that you were in remission for so long but terrible that it did come back to you, you are obviously a real fighter and truly wish you the best for your treatment. 

Simon did I not tell you they had arrived safe and well?? I though I had! Sorry if I had not. They are a massive help thank you again.

and an envelope arrived from the US of A today for cookie, that was bloody quick! Cheers mate!

update after the weekend hopefully.

Rob

• Like 1

Hello Rob and Navy bird,

I take the risk to be fired down, but I've helped my father when he did suffer from a throat cancer.

So I just share an information, since, Sylvia, my wife make lots of researches for our well being.

Here's the link from a doctor

There is lots of video but this one is the entry door, take the time to listen, or not

Do not matter the title is in french but the video is English spoken.

All those treatments can sure help, but there is another way,

Now one can blame me, but that will not change my mind.

whatever, it'is a tiny gift, then you'll follow your way.

With all my prayers and good vibes.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rob85 said:

Simon did I not tell you they had arrived safe and well?? I though I had! Sorry if I had not. They are a massive help thank you again.

I'm just glad they are of use.

6 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Spitfires are undeniably beautiful aircraft but not really my thing but this build thread has got me hooked.

Can we expect a build from you soon then? I hope so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Spitfires are undeniably beautiful aircraft but not really my thing but this build thread has got me hooked.

2 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm just glad they are of use.

Can we expect a build from you soon then? I hope so.

A Nigel Heath spitfire! Could you imagine!

cheers chaps, and Nigel 'hooked' is high praise indeed. Hopefully these 4 will keep you on board and then it's just the Eduard mk ix profi pack... should be a sinch 

CC thanks for the vid, I will indeed give it a watch. Very thoughtful of you to put it up.

Rob

• Like 4

You're welcome Rob,

Can't see strories as the one of your friend without sharing a different point of view.

Sylvia say that there is some books too. Hope that it can help !

Have a very nice Sunday.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, progress is still not blistering in its pace but it is there!

I have had my daughters birthday to sort and I have been making her gift! she is a Harry Potter nut and a Hermione Granger/Emma Watson in the making. She is a big fan of her work in Beauty and the Beast too, can't complain there are some pretty poor female role models out there, the fact she wants to copy an intelligent feminists isn't in any way a bad thing.... She is also a big fan of Black Widow from the avengers but I think that's because she is only allowed to play with the boys in the playground if she is a girl superhero... no doubt Wonder Woman will be next. Anyway below is her gift from me!

34735258070_893ec37ac6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

She has a little scientists mind, loves creating potions and is going into year three. She was very happy with her box!

anyway the focus has been on the Mk IX/VC conversion. First up the fire wall and a little Merlin engine...

34163414664_f0778f340f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

It looks a little bit like a bit of plastic with plastic and blobs of milliput glued onto it, which it is! however I hope to add a bit more detail in the painting, its a start!

After drying it was painted IG

34311639253_706ef54ba1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Still wet and looks a bit thick, but bare with it!, it will get detail painting like I said and then a wash followed by tiny copper pipes and wires... hopefully.

After this I replaced the cannon bulges, I simply cut down the bums with a craft knife and sanded them. Once flat I glued the cannon bulges that were very kindly supplied by Simon.

34163410394_4a15d6a859_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34619551800_2c3c8e2ac8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34966895926_391f3e9812_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And that's kinda where we are at with the Vc everyone, hope you like it!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 10

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

I simply cut down the bums with a craft knife and sanded them.

Oooh nasty! Unlike the bumps and the HP boxes; great work matey :) 

What's the plan with the little Merlin? Engine covers off? Did I miss it earlier?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Oooh nasty! Unlike the bumps and the HP boxes; great work matey :) 

What's the plan with the little Merlin? Engine covers off? Did I miss it earlier?

Ha ha ha ha, missed that typo! I do not suggest anyone follow my lead no bums to be cut off please!

yeah plan is to build the frame pipe work and filters to have an exposed engine bay, it could all go Pete Tong but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Rob

• Like 1

Good to see you back at it Rob :).

The cannon bulges really are quite a different size! Looks a lot better.

I'm looking forward to the engine fettling: where did the little Merlin come from (the Wizard asked of his wife... :coat: )?

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Very intriguing Rob, can't wait to see how the scratch work turns out.

Same here! :clap::popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

Cheers chaps!

stix, yes underway and hopefully if I can crack on through the engine bay I will start progressing a bit quicker! 

Giemme, cookie.... neither can I! :) 

Tony! It has been nicked from a revell Lancaster I'm sure it's probably the wrong one but looks enough the part in this scale.

Rob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

sorry for my absence of late, lots of things on! However I have been to a book shop I never even new existed in little old Malvern that was full to the brim with old books. After a good snoop I managed to find a magazine published at the end of the war on the siege of Malta, it had a few pics that I hadn't seen before which was nice. Anyway it's made me want to do some work on these Malta based spits again! Can't promise it'll be much but hopefully get something done!

hope you're all keeping well?

Rob

• Like 5

On 3/6/2017 at 8:01 PM, rob85 said:

I have found the missing vc and ia.... and another vb :) this might be getting a bit out of control....

Rob

Once in a while, being out of control can be fun! When Spitfire are involved, everything is allowed.

But remember that many padded cells have inmates who started like you ... 

While waiting for the men in white, have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So I have finally managed to sit down in my dark basement and do some work. I added the tail planes to the above 3 vb’s and have had a change of heart on the options I will be making. 

I will still be doing the Vc with the open engine and 3 Vb’s, one Malta based, one North African and another Italian. The North African on is from the transfers that @Cookenbacher sent me (thanks for that!) some time ago, 92 sqn is the plan. The Italian I will leave you to guess which it is, it’s from another transfer sheet that needs to be bought.

anyway! Progress!

Dn8NexR.jpg

here they are, one has had some chopped off but all three have had a good first coat of paint. 

Im not sure on the mr hobby dark earth, it doesn’t look edible like hu 29, like it’s been carved from a block of cadbury’s... in fact it doesn’t look much lighter than the middle stone from Tamiya 🤔 any thoughts?

The dark blue will need toning down which I will do over the next few coats, hopefully it will end up ok and a little patchy like it’s been painted in a bit of a hurry.

i also did some scratch building!! This is my first try at this, it’s not supposed to be @TheBaron standard and accuracy, just to give a nod to what it should be and busy it up a bit. It’s supposed to look like a firewall 

3sjlgaB.jpg

It needs more detail painting but I’m happy enough for a first go.

then i had a little pop and sanding back where the oil filter (?) will be, lots of sanding and a rub down with 3600 micro mesh and it’s looking good. Very flat!

Yt4v8pl.jpg

KUkVO0z.jpg

So hopefully I will keep plugging along with these on my days off and one day might even finish them! 

And what hat have I been up to in nearly 2 years I hear you cry? Not much! Moved house, worked, been to Iceland, worked and taken photos.... so as you used to like pics of the area around me, here are some more

MHldTWu.jpg

a train that was at Hereford station end of last week

lVgfGnN.jpg

DQtBBhE.jpg

RgbtDmG.jpg

d6fyezO.jpg

and a few from the last few months round Malvern and Hereford 

oh oh and two from Iceland... not where I live but it is stunning!

bFWNBxi.jpg

NefKjqg.jpg

Hope your all having fun!

Rob

• Like 10