Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

6 minutes ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Impressive! I can never get a good result brush painting with them. How much water? 1:1?

I cant really say, it's not a secret recipe or anything I just don't measure it. I dip the brush in water then stir it in the pot a few times, then wipe the excess off on the side of the jar and paint. During painting, if I feel it's not thin enough I will dip in water again followed by a small dip in the paint, best to use small amounts on the tip of the brush. I hope that helps a bit and sorry it's not more scientific!

Rob

• Like 1

Great stuff Rob - that really is a great collection, good job Sir!

Camera holes? Some Humbrol ClearFix or Kristal Klear will soon sort that - get a spot on a cocktail stick, wipe it around the hole to coat the edges and then just drag it across the gap - simples! It might look horrid when you first apply it but it tightens as it dries.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Those look fantastic Rob, your thread has lived up to its name!

Cheers cookie, means a lot from a chopper of spitfires such as yourself! Don't forget I probably wouldn't have tried this if its wasn't for the volume of spitfires you manage to turn out (to a fantastic quality may I add) 

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great stuff Rob - that really is a great collection, good job Sir!

Camera holes? Some Humbrol ClearFix or Kristal Klear will soon sort that - get a spot on a cocktail stick, wipe it around the hole to coat the edges and then just drag it across the gap - simples! It might look horrid when you first apply it but it tightens as it dries.

Thats a very cunning plan Ced, as always thanks for the great tip and encouragement 

Rob

• Like 2

Hello Rob,

Very nice place, will really spend some time up there.

Nice job on your Spitfires, You did great, I really like your painting.

Thank for sharing and Bravo :clap2:

Nice collection :partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

cheers for the comments fellas they are appreciated!

I confess I currently find my motivation lacking, I have some time on my hands but I'm not really doing anything with it... very un productive in all aspects not just modelling!

As some of you may know I split from my wife at the start of Feb, which has not been fun to say the least. its not nasty all very amicable but still takes a big toll. I also found out from that a good friend who has been through so much in her life already has had to go back into hospital due to her leukaemia. her first three rounds of cemo did nothing to get rid of he cancer she has now had arsenic which has also not worked and now the doctors are looking into other options to basically save her life... shes only 30 and very brave, i'm very worried for her and will be going to see her friday. really I should take these as signs that life is to be lived and give myself a kick up the backside, but they are not having that affect. I will however pick myself up and make the most of everything i have rather than being all melancholy(right word?). anyway just thought i would share as it always helps to get myself cracking on.

but there has been some little progress on the airfix Vb's.... however i have a conundrum, I have three Vb's but only like two of the options i have so not sure i what to do with the third... i will have to put some thought into it.

anyway here is where we are at. first of the lower cowl was cut off to make way for a volkes filter on both, they then got a coat of IG and the halves sealed. i also painted the seat and floor... all very basic in detail, and no i wont be adding any to these.

33732404673_cfa5cb2f4d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

after this i glued the wings together and then to the fuselage. they needed a little help to close the gap in the wing route, the body of the AC is too narrow so i tried using a bit of sprue to spread them a little however it didn't work. but what did work was applying pressure with claps to the top of the cowl and the centre of the wings underside which made the wing routes on the fuselage spread... just a bit of gentle persuasion needed

33700391734_5a85612bbc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

one needed a little more help!

33732403143_07f0e8f6c7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

these will both be malta birds one blue one middle stone and dark earth... well that's the plan

sorry its only a bit!

Rob

• Like 8

Rob,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Often the only thing we can do for friends who are ill is to be their friend and be there for them, no matter how hard we find it.

On a brighter note, I probably have some spare MkV decals. If you want them, let me know.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Beard said:

Rob,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Often the only thing we can do for friends who are ill is to be their friend and be there for them, no matter how hard we find it.

On a brighter note, I probably have some spare MkV decals. If you want them, let me know.

Hi Rob, I second Mr Beard. Sorry to hear that you've been dealt a bad hand recently and for your poorly friend. Life can certainly be cruel at times but things tend to pick themselves up in my experience. I hope she has some better luck and the doctors come through.

The Spits are coming along nicely. Looking forward to the next update!

JB

• Like 2

Good progress Rob, three nice Spits in the making.

Your melancholy is very understandable and I do hope things go better for your friend - as Simon says, being there for her is invaluable.

Chin up matey :) 

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

I'll approach this from the other side - as you may know, I've been fighting a blood cancer (lymphoma) since 2002. I had a nice 12 year remission after the first go, but it came back (as they said it would) in early 2015. Back on the chemo, which I will finish up in July of this year. One of the lovely elixirs that they pump into my veins is made from the same stuff that mustard gas is made from. Nasty stuff. Strange how things that kill people can also save people. 

I know that throughout my "journey" I never wanted people to feel sorry for me. Everyone's different, of course, but I always wanted it out in the open, I wanted people to talk about it, heck, I even joke about it. I suppose this is my coping mechanism. When I was first diagnosed (stage IV at that), the wife and kids were crying, it was a bloody awful thing. And it put real fear in me - and I didn't like that one bit, so I did (and do) everything I can to make sure the fear doesn't come back. Keep positive, look forward, and do what needs to be done. Your friend may not feel this way, but I'm willing to bet she doesn't like the fear either. Do what you can to keep it away from her.

For what it's worth...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

That's a rough deal Rob, but your friend is lucky to have you around - if anyone can earn a comforting laugh or two it's you.

The V's are looking good. I've got quite a few decals too, are you looking to build another Malta/Med Spitfire?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hi Rob,

I'll approach this from the other side - as you may know, I've been fighting a blood cancer (lymphoma) since 2002. I had a nice 12 year remission after the first go, but it came back (as they said it would) in early 2015. Back on the chemo, which I will finish up in July of this year. One of the lovely elixirs that they pump into my veins is made from the same stuff that mustard gas is made from. Nasty stuff. Strange how things that kill people can also save people. 

I know that throughout my "journey" I never wanted people to feel sorry for me. Everyone's different, of course, but I always wanted it out in the open, I wanted people to talk about it, heck, I even joke about it. I suppose this is my coping mechanism. When I was first diagnosed (stage IV at that), the wife and kids were crying, it was a bloody awful thing. And it put real fear in me - and I didn't like that one bit, so I did (and do) everything I can to make sure the fear doesn't come back. Keep positive, look forward, and do what needs to be done. Your friend may not feel this way, but I'm willing to bet she doesn't like the fear either. Do what you can to keep it away from her.

For what it's worth...

Cheers,

Bill

Bill that's very reassuring to hear, you and Kate appear to be of the same mindset. Unfortunately I think she needs a real pick up at the mo a fear is creeping in for her, she has no one close to her family wise other that her sister as they lost their parents about 8-9 years ago. She has an amazing group of friends (I'm not blowing my own trumpet there I mean her really close group) but most live away. I will take on board what you have said and hopefully do what I can to pull her up and help. I have to say though, people like yourself and Kate are really brave, but you probably don't feel that way! But you are. Cheers for commenting it means a lot.

11 hours ago, Beard said:

Rob,

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's a rough deal Rob, but your friend is lucky to have you around - if anyone can earn a comforting laugh or two it's you.

The V's are looking good. I've got quite a few decals too, are you looking to build another Malta/Med Spitfire?

Cheers chaps! Yes I do have a few options for mk v's but the are all day fighter schemes... I don't feel this is the 'true' scheme for a mk v, it's my favourite mark and I feel it deserves more!! Something different. Malta or med is where my head is at... I will look through Ref pics and my stash of transfers to see if there is something that can be cobbled together.

thanks for all your comments guys! I feel a lot better about cracking on with these now, it's the little things that make the big difference sometimes!

Rob

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

hi all!

Sorry for the slow progress, I have spent most of my days off visiting Kate my fiend i mentioned above while she is out of hospital, and walking her cockerpoo's they are incredibly funny and i did contemplate taking one... but thought better of it. she is doing a lot better and starts a new treatment at the end of the week in Birmingham which will hopefully kick her lukimaia into touch!

any way i did manage to get a pic of the sun setting on from the ridge that my mum and dad live near, though you might want to see

34602604211_1c4bf02998_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and this is the little lane i took it from

33891487374_7545032a70_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

lovely time of year and the weather is supposed to get near the 30's on Sat! and its my weekend off!

so on to the spitfires. i managed to get the third mkvb put together

34602652211_ea15746885_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

big fan of a tidy bench me! the eagle eyed will notice i have also cut the nose off the mk ix ready for turning into a VC, here is a better pic...

34693697976_7013037fe7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

all done with a blade, i then used a mki IP a rough template for the fire wall and cut it out from plastic card, this was then trimmed and gently sanded to fit

33891527024_f8e7f84e48_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

i have started a little bit a detail work tonight but nothing photo worthy... i then added the three same but different filters to the VB's, a little bit of cutting was needed and a fair amount of sanding but they are ok. the gaps have now been filled with milliput and smoothed with a wet finger, i will take pic's once dry... but here are all 4 pretty much where they are now

34811696666_69b53a3f33_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

34040993413_41c675e1d6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I promise i will get pics up soon as a reminder of how these will finish up! also thanks to cookie and Simon (beard) for sending spares and transfers for these! very generous.

Hope your all having a good time.

Rob

• Like 12

Sunset from the ridge and Spitfires to build... what more could a man want?

(Answers on a postcard to...)

• Like 1

Rob, great to hear good news about your friend.

I've lost the count on your Spits :frantic: but they all look good :clap: Nice sunset pictures, too :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

I just caught up with the thread Rob.

The previous four are a lovely quartet, I simply can't choose a favourite. 

I really like the shades of Dark Earth and Green you have used :thumbsup2: .

The photos are most welcome. For one such as I, often quite homesick, these views are a nice window to glance out of whilst reading your great thread with these Spitfires :).

I've shown a couple to Mrs. T (she's originally from NZ),  as part of my cunning long term ploy to persuade her that moving (back, for me) to the UK is a really, really, good idea. Which, of course, it is!

It's good to hear that your friend's new treatment is  more positive. I spent a lot of my childhood in hospital on wards with children with Leukemia (and other such things; haematology wards were like that then). Positive attitude, positive uplifting visitors; these were the things that really helped people through. It's good that she has good friends (like you), it makes an immense difference :).

Good to see the chaps have sent decals. I have some spare British desert Mk Vb and US Mediterranean transfers if you (or anyone of the usual suspects) are still in need.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I just caught up with the thread Rob.

The previous four are a lovely quartet, I simply can't choose a favourite. 

I really like the shades of Dark Earth and Green you have used :thumbsup2: .

The photos are most welcome. For one such as I, often quite homesick, these views are a nice window to glance out of whilst reading your great thread with these Spitfires :).

I've shown a couple to Mrs. T (she's originally from NZ),  as part of my cunning long term ploy to persuade her that moving (back, for me) to the UK is a really, really, good idea. Which, of course, it is!

It's good to hear that your friend's new treatment is  more positive. I spent a lot of my childhood in hospital on wards with children with Leukemia (and other such things; haematology wards were like that then). Positive attitude, positive uplifting visitors; these were the things that really helped people through. It's good that she has good friends (like you), it makes an immense difference :).

Good to see the chaps have sent decals. I have some spare British desert Mk Vb and US Mediterranean transfers if you (or anyone of the usual suspects) are still in need.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

All best regards

TonyT

Cheers Tony! Need to get these sorted so I can start the little Fokker you sent me :) 

Rob

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

Very good job on the Spitfire's I really like it.

I agree a 100% with the above posts, Your friend has to be helped the way you do it !

And thank also to Navy Bird, he is right and brave. A pretty good lesson of life !

Congrats men !:yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Great news on the new treatment regime for your friend, Rob. Do you recall what it is specifically? I like to stay up to date on what's happening around the world with new therapies, and since leukemia is closely related to my lymphoma it would be great to learn more about it.

Great landscape photos! What a beautiful land.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Hi Rob!

Mixed feelings catching up here - for obvious reasons - but just wanted to send you over some positive vibes at a challenging time my friend.

Tony

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Great news on the new treatment regime for your friend, Rob. Do you recall what it is specifically? I like to stay up to date on what's happening around the world with new therapies, and since leukemia is closely related to my lymphoma it would be great to learn more about it.

Great landscape photos! What a beautiful land.

Cheers,

Bill

I do recall Bill, she has acute AML and has been having cemo which didn't work followed by arsenic which has taken it into temporary remission. As she is in remission they are now going harvest healthy stem cells from her to then cultivate and pop them back in. She has a rare type of of AML which is normally quite treatable, however this hasn't been the case for her!

Before they do the stem cell transplant they will give her high doses of chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy as well as blood transfusions which will need to be blasted with radiation before she has them. The infusions and donar for stem cells has been a sticking point as she is -A blood group, only 3% of the world has this group, she can only have -O (6%) (I sure that's my group so I have said just hook me up and take what you want, in fact I probably have good stock of -O, both my kids, ex wife, her sisters, her dad and my dad!) or -A. On top of that the only match for stem cells they found is her sister who unfortunately had a rare blood disease in her late 20's and cannot be a donar! Both her parents have passed away (her dad had aggressive cancer her mum MNS) as well so that's not at option, so she is glad that they can harvest hers as finding another donar would be very hard! Add into that her husband leaving her after 18 months of marriage as he was having an affair.... well to say she hasn't had the best run of luck is putting mildly!

She is in really good spirits though and I am taking her out whenever I can to make sure she stays that way. Very much fingers crossed for her treatment! Hope that's explained correctly?

thanks for all the comments chaps, helps me get moving on these!

Rob

• Like 2