Castle Bromwich - 3 finished!

10 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Rob,

it's always the same.

I go away for a few days and when I look again carefully, I find some insane threads, proving to me that madness is still a fashionable commodity... Thank god for that.

I love your selection and it's gonna be fun. OK, it already is.

Great show!

JR

Hi Miggers,

on the Revell Vb, in addition to the woes you describe, I find the shape of the spinner not quite right, possibly too "bulbous"... I did build the Pro Modeller boxing, but I suspect it is the same kit.

Re the Airfix Vc wing, every person in the know (a select group, which I do not belong to, as an ignorant non-British when it comes to Spitfires' arcane knowledge) shoots that poor wing down in flames. I have just looked at it again, and I still cannot see what's so atrocious about it...

Will someone put me out my misery?

Cheers

JR

With Revell's Vb,I'd use the Airfix prop/spinner combo and fit the gullwing underneath too.

For the Vc wing,start here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34216-172-airfix-spitfire-mkvc-thick-wings/

• Like 1

Don't worry miggers I bought the airfix vc for £3 with the intention that even if it was pony I would still have a spare vb and nice transfer sheet! 

Thanks all for all the helpful tips and comments!

Tony I'm trying to up my game with my posts and quite proud about getting and endoscopy reference in, thank you for noticing, I my drop in the odd picture of Malvern.... it could end up just being pictures of Waitrose free coffee mind (ironic really, I work for M&S).

slipped while at the computer and bought more spitfires.... ooopps.

cookie, technically you won't be copying me if you do it with an Eduard spit! I have decided to back date a airfix mk ix using the kindness of others (Simon) and left overs from other kits... well that's the plan!

lots of seam sanding taking place which I was going to do infront of Memphis Belle.... but it's a Korean version and the wrong reagion!! I am going to give the shaws trust hell and swap it for the blsckadder DVD.... where's that dam receipt!

Rob

• Like 3

Hi Rob

Looking great on progress so far.

If it's not already too late, the camera ports on the XIX can be added with a film of white glue (or "glue n'glaze" if you prefer a modeller-specific product) after painting- saves a bit of masking. Also worth pointing out that you may or may not need the small pressurization intake on the lower nose depending on the airframe you chose to build. An unpressurized aircraft also has a different canopy, which you can buy in vacform from Pavla, but I haven't found to be all that obvious a difference in 1/72 scale.

And please promise us all that the Airfix Vc wing will go in the bin!

By the way, I do love Malvern Priory, one of the real jewels of Perp. architecture despite being a real bodge job that leaves it very flawed. I love the ridiculously huge Gloucester-inspired tower just plonked down in the middle. The aisles aren't the same width because they couldn't fit them in to the existing abbey plan, the transepts are waay too low for the bulk the nave, the chancel is wider than the nave- really it is just a proper mess! (For context, about 50 years later there was a similar rebuilding down at Bath, but instead of re-purposing an existing building, they demolished the whole lot and started again to build a 'pure' perp. design. Unfortunately, the reformation came along, the work was suspended and crucial items such as the vaulting weren't properly completed until the 1860s!) The two make a really interesting comparison.

http://www.maidenheadcivicsoc.org.uk/projects/infrastructure/ockwells/Malvern Prioryweb.pdf

Oh, and squirrels are really tasty on the BBQ- it would be a shame to just cull them. Much better to normalise the eating of them. Not a silly idea- I paid a small fortune for a pigeon in a restaurant recently...

Will

Edited by Killingholme
terminological inexactitude
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

Oh, and squirrels are really tasty on the BBQ- it would be a shame to just cull them. Much better to normalise the eating of them. Not a silly idea- I paid a small fortune for a pigeon in a restaurant recently...

Will

I could give you a pigeon for free Will,there's some nice fat woodies knocking about.

You just have to watch out for the shot getting in your teeth.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miggers said:

I could give you a pigeon for free Will,there's some nice fat woodies knocking about.

This is where modelling and shot pigeons/squirrels comes full circle. Once you've eaten the delectables, get your toothpicks or fine pointed tweezers out and start picking the shot out. That's my two pence worth. :P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Fearnley-Whittingstall commented that regular consumers of pigeon have to remove little collections of shot from the toilet bowl every now and then, as they don't flush.

John.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Not a bad idea- I wonder how many pheasant/partridge/pigeon/rabbit/teal/snipe/woodcock would I have to bag to weigh down a tail sitter such as an A-26...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

This is where modelling and shot pigeons/squirrels comes full circle. Once you've eaten the delectables, get your toothpicks or fine pointed tweezers out and start picking the shot out. That's my two pence worth. :P

1 hour ago, johnd said:

Fearnley-Whittingstall commented that regular consumers of pigeon have to remove little collections of shot from the toilet bowl every now and then, as they don't flush.

John.

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

Not a bad idea- I wonder how many pheasant/partridge/pigeon/rabbit/teal/snipe/woodcock would I have to bag to weigh down a tail sitter such as an A-26...

I was going to mention that,scoff a few,save the shot(obviously not from down the bog!!)use it for weights in your modelling.

Get yourselves a shotgun and go rough shooting.

It all makes sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Hi Rob

If it's not already too late, the camera ports on the XIX can be added with a film of white glue (or "glue n'glaze" if you prefer a modeller-specific product) after painting- saves a bit of masking. Also worth pointing out that you may or may not need the small pressurization intake on the lower nose depending on the airframe you chose to build. An unpressurized aircraft also has a different canopy, which you can buy in vacform from Pavla, but I haven't found to be all that obvious a difference in 1/72 scale.

By the way, I do love Malvern Priory, one of the real jewels of Perp. architecture despite being a real bodge job that leaves it very flawed. I love the ridiculously huge Gloucester-inspired tower just plonked down in the middle. The aisles aren't the same width because they couldn't fit them in to the existing abbey plan, the transepts are waay too low for the bulk the nave, the chancel is wider than the nave- really it is just a proper mess! (For context, about 50 years later there was a similar rebuilding down at Bath, but instead of re-purposing an existing building, they demolished the whole lot and started again to build a 'pure' perp. design. Unfortunately, the reformation came along, the work was suspended and crucial items such as the vaulting weren't properly completed until the 1860s!) The two make a really interesting comparison.

http://www.maidenheadcivicsoc.org.uk/projects/infrastructure/ockwells/Malvern Prioryweb.pdf

Will

Hi Will,

I am impressed by your knowledge of Perp. Gothic architecture. Totally unexpected in a multi Spit build!!!

As for paying for a pigeon... There is bugger all to eat, once you've removed the feathers, the lead shots and the bone splinters!!!! Mind you, in the UK, with all the hormones the pigeons collect by picking on fast foods left overs, there may be more to nosh than here...

JR

PS: and squirrels are just rats with a furry tail. Better watch them than eat them!

Edited by jean
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Will,

I am impressed by your knowledge of Perp. Gothic architecture. Totally unexpected in a multi Spit build!!!

As for paying for a pigeon... There is bugger all to eat, once you've removed the feathers, the lead shots and the bone splinters!!!! Mind you, in the UK, with all the hormones the pigeons collect by picking on fast foods left overs, there may be more to nosh than here...

JR

PS: and squirrels are just rats with a furry tail. Better watch them than eat them!

...From a chap whose countrymen dry everything in to biltong....?!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Miggers said:

Korean version........I bet that's a hoot:cwl:,lots of chattering and not much mouth movement..........

Ye avion kit ancien that is 'Fix's Vb is still ok,the c wing is a pony alright:poop:.

I would be able to let you know if it worked in my DVD player! 

7 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Hi Rob

Will

Hang on will I need to add a vent! Right I will have to look at that now.... cheers :) 

great knowledge on the Abby! And it explains why what I would call the back door looks such a dam mess! Nice grounds though. From an Abby point of view I am a bigger fan of Pershore, the ceiling is deceptively high, not what I expected seeing it from the outside and much more together as a piece of finished work ..... from my untrained eye.

squirrels do taste nice! It's true. I went on army work experience with the light infantry, they trapped the grey chaps and cooked them while out on the final ex, nicer than beans and bacon. So yes a cracking idea.... I do love game meats

consider the VC wings dead and dead....

6 hours ago, Miggers said:

I'll take some! 

6 hours ago, Jaffajake said:

A great plan, if only I had thought of future me when eating the pheasant etc my grandad and uncle shot! Would have saved me flattening out pellets for the Lib...

5 hours ago, johnd said:

John.

So we need a small net and a ticket to axeminster? I might just stick with ebay john... :) 

5 hours ago, Killingholme said:

I would say it depends on the gauge you are using and if your any good at hitting the buggers! .... I mean you could just cut open the cartridge for the lead, then you could set fire to the propellant and put the firing cap in a vice and hit it with a nail... but were's the fun in that I suppose.... :) 

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Will,

JR

Rats are supposed to be tasty too... maybe wash them first.... :).... I'll eat anything me

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

...From a chap whose countrymen dry everything in to biltong....?!

:rofl:

i dont know I leave you guys while I watch the rugby and this happens.... excellent please carry on! 

No no real work today just micromeshing to fix the wing routes I had messed up with too much glue! 

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 1

so I have not just sat about doing nothing...I have been drinking this!

33215220041_05364b419f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and very nice it is too, as long as you like ginger! (which is do in all its forms!! )

than I went to the off site stash...

33231221201_135b511d7c_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

very good of them to hold all my kits for me, all you need to do is pay a small release fee and you can get them back.

32976392000_455fff8b5b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(this is how i imagine Navybirds house to look)

33203630482_7eb6f65f55_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33231218111_baaa5bef66_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and I paid my release fee for the below

33434267585_c59ee8f5e5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

white spray paint is from and art shop and supposed to be very good, thought i would give it a try as its the same price as my normal white primer.

after that the rest of the weekend was taken up by my sons birthday part (actual birthday was last weekend as i have said) all rather hectic! but this did arrive on the mat in the middle of it

32582650894_b4d1bc4aa6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and here are the in box shots... there are quit a few

33278716162_0de5872705_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(clipped wing mkiia?)

32620095613_8cef280e57_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33305964971_207e93c107_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33305967121_92dc711994_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33051005690_66bf7341c9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33434079685_485c78f0b4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33050945680_0c45519937_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33434077855_8bcfda1dfd_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(lots of this dark grey residue all over the kit)

32620043953_ac184758b4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33050946390_4db7515aec_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32591237994_cb87b3e02f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33305901351_0624dd74c6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33434073955_70de5d79d5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

first impressions are; nicely detailed interior and external details look good (if a bit pronounced in areas e.g. rivets on the cowl), instruction booklet is very good, but considering it was tooled last year there is what i would consider a fair amount of flash... will be good to see how it builds...

talking of building, i did some of that with the XIX and XXII

XIX: she has had her filters added and been given a couple of coats of HU 230

32591666084_5248fabf6d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I have now stuck the chin on her as well

XXII:

again all the radiators and filters glued on and she has had two coats of gery

33434715055_cfe626d474_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33307162911_b49aee3a25_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

sorry not the best pic... I'm going to crack on with the painting now... more to come

Rob

• Like 12

Rob, you'll need to fill the spurious panel lines on the upper wing tip.  They're the ones that continue in line from the aileron hinge line.  And don't forget to add the fuel tank bleed valves.

As for Revell's "mk IIa"...  Replace the wheels, the oil cooler, u/c doors, radiator and canopy.  It's closer to a Va than a mk IIa and a complete disappointment.  Overall, good shape, it's just the details that let it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Wooksta! said:

Rob, you'll need to fill the spurious panel lines on the upper wing tip.  They're the ones that continue in line from the aileron hinge line.  And don't forget to add the fuel tank bleed valves.

As for Revell's "mk IIa"...  Replace the wheels, the oil cooler, u/c doors, radiator and canopy.  It's closer to a Va than a mk IIa and a complete disappointment.  Overall, good shape, it's just the details that let it down.

What? Bleed valves? 

The oil cooler I can do, canopy.... not sure on, I may have spares, having looked at the undercarriage the doors are poor scratch build using the airfix as a template? Hmmm all this work is adding up

Rob

I've a feeling that the Pavla canopy intended for the Airfix Ia (2010 tooling) will fit the Revell kit.

I've detailed the various fixes for the Revell IIa in it's relevant thread in The Rumourmonger.  I've yet to get mine any further forward, largely laziness but also disgust at the disappointment it really is.  Really, stick with the Airfix mk IIa.  Much better all round.

19 bleed valves?  Short length of stretched sprue from the outer tiny circle on the leading edge of the wing.  Simples!

• Like 1

The two Spitfires are looking great Rob :thumbsup2: 

Very good and swift progress.

I'm enjoying these little tours :).

That's a really good traditional model shop; it's good to see they still exist.

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Magnificent update Rob. Spitfires plus 'Malvernian Notes and Sketches'. A nice mixture and rhythm....

I've used those Montana rattle-paints btw and found them fine - as is their matt varnish.

:thumbsup2: Tony

• Like 1

Yes, very quick! Looking good. These shops became rare even in Germany. Three small survived here. In the end of the 90' there were more possiblities for that of course. But not nowadays, even not in the shopping centres (walmarts).

• Like 1

Nice paint finishes Rob, really smooth.

That Revel kit looks quite nice - I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.

Great model shop... Hereford... bit of a trip for me but, if I venture out that way, we can have a coffee.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

(this is how i imagine Navybirds house to look)

Who let you into my house? That's what I get for letting the neighbours have a key...they always let the riff-raff in.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Who let you into my house? That's what I get for letting the neighbours have a key...they always let the riff-raff in.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

its that dam butler Bill, bin him off I say the other two you had wont let me within a mile of the place.... :) 

@The Wooksta! the panel lines have been filled sanded and repainted, however on this occasion i think i will leave the valves!

MK XIX:

33413417456_9fc351943e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

this is what (i Think) you meant

33070504100_c706be899b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

this as i have said was sanded and re painted but before that i masked off the demarcation line for the light grey, painted it and got this

33070550600_a52b73db4b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

not my finest work!

33453802965_73dd8d414f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

other side was a bit better (the marks in the paint are to remove finger prints etc and have been repainted, HU 230 is a lovely paint in colour and consistency but is a bit fragile)

this is where she currently sits

33325749761_a88b71fb05_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33453725595_e07d28b712_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33298066812_818fb18fd6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

she will cure over night and then get a (very gentle micromesh)

MK XXII:

last night she got a first coat of ocean grey and the undersides painted sky grey

33325725751_7606ac4557_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

then I had a little trip outside after watching star wars, tried to take a pic of a cloud that looked like an imperial battle ship but get the below

33413415476_8c248d023e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

while the kids were getting changed this morning i applied a second thin coat of grey to the top and bottom (sorry dont know where the underside pictures are)

33453804285_72922b832e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

then it got a micromesh....should have left that longer really! oh well she needed another coat!

33298081812_d39c689cf1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

the undersides came out a treat, couple of touch ups on the raised detail but its very smooth now. tried to get a pic of the nice smooth shine it has but failed...

33070513850_c1630b960d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Tamiya paints buff up a treat and i (unlike most it would appear) love brush painting with them nicely thinned with water.

i tried masking the read tail band but the paint lifted so i gave her another good coat and will let her sit overnight

32639715313_e3aaeb44ec_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

so there we are.... Its lunch time now so i am going to enjoy this 

32639789003_892a9b4f55_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

this

33326121941_474ea314c7_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

in this

33453713605_365feba2fa_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32610834644_d994ccf835_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

33325737111_6e5197640a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

(thats the malverns in the distance, currently living at my mum and dad just down the road)

the coffee is a Mocha... dont judge me, I like good coffee but its nice to have something different... I was at a store training one time and a (very) arrogant (but also very good at his job) store manager would buy everyone coffee on a friday, when i asked for a latte he gave me a lecture about ,real men drink americano's with a splash of milk no sugar'... next friday came and not liking his attitude and just being irritating he offered 'shall i order an americano for you?' to which i replied... 'no thanks i will have a vanilla latte cheer'... in the meeting he asked every manager what they were drinking, all the males gave the stock 'man drink' answer, bar one who had a mocha and then was asked to explain what was happening to him, 'i've been demoted and sent to another store from next week' he actually appeared happy about it. I was then warned thats what happens if you drink a girls drink....no my carrer it's flying but last year this manager got sacked for sexual harrsment, who got the last laugh there! funny thing is I rather like americano's ... but i do have them with sugar...

anyway i watching all the birds reenact the B of B, thrush and starlings(?) appear to be playing the part of spitfire top cover while that rooks and crows are very dangerous looking Me 109's... mind they all buggered off when two buzzards started circling in the thermals (must be a PR unit and they are camera shy) beautiful, majestic birds but too high for a good pic

33453755965_f96f6f0773_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

thanks for all the great positive comments and help, and i am glad you like the updates!

have a nice day...

Rob

• Like 7