Links to other forums

Hi Mark,

Links to your own builds on other forums are frowned upon for obvious reasons, but links to unconnected builds that you're in awe of and think the members might like to see are fine. :) Same goes for information, articles and so forth that you can't find on Britmodeller.  We also frown upon blatant linking to other places that members might have a connection to, as over time it becomes pretty obvious the true intent of the member.

Finally, we prefer people not to link to any sites that you need to have an account, subscription or log into in order to see the content - same goes for those ones that won't let you see their content unless you turn off your ad blocker.  It's just a waste of everyone's time. :shrug:

I hope that clears things up :)

• Like 1

Mike,

on the same topic am I OK to link to BlackMike Models when folks are discussing where to get a certain kit etc? Obviously I'm not talking about bombing the whole site and every conversation but only when appropriate and in context.

Duncan B

There are a few people that do this a bit too much, and this smacks a bit of desperation, but we have to be sensible about these things and if someone's genuinely struggling and doesn't have the nouse to cruise the trader section or Google, it doesn't hurt.  As you inferred though, anyone that takes advantage to spam out the forum with "buy from me!" links is a bit needy, and will eventually be asked to wind their necks in a bit when we've run out of more important things to do such as polishing our Jackboots :)

As with all things... self-moderation is key and always appreciated. :shrug:

• Like 1

I find the "Buy and Sell" area rather confusing.    Some time ago, I advertised something for sale for a couple of pounds (having had well over 100 posts, - full of hints & tips for buidling) and it was deleted, and I was told that I was a trader!   Links to other forums may be taken as furthering the hobby, although I have not done that myself!      I feel I probably come into the "needy" class, although I have never offered models for sale on any forum!:o      

Bob

8 hours ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

I find the "Buy and Sell" area rather confusing.    Some time ago, I advertised something for sale for a couple of pounds (having had well over 100 posts, - full of hints & tips for buidling) and it was deleted, and I was told that I was a trader!   Links to other forums may be taken as furthering the hobby, although I have not done that myself!      I feel I probably come into the "needy" class, although I have never offered models for sale on any forum!:o      

Bob

Bob,

It is not confusing, the buy and sell area rules clearly state:

Only post items for sale/wanted/for trade in the buy sell area and nowhere else on the site. We would ask for no commercial trading in the buy/sell area. If you are a trader and would like to sell here, please contact the moderating team and arrange for your own forum

You were offering for sale multiples of a single item produced by you which generate profit, that is trading.  As explained to you before, the buy and sell area is for members to move on unwanted kits and hopefully regain some of the initial cost.  Not members using the site as a convenient gateway to move items without paying fees for auctions, web hosting or advertising.    In other words, acting as a trader or in your case as a cottage industry producer and trader.  BM doe not profit from the buy and sell area (unlike the well known auction sites) and in return it offers the Mod team nothing but headaches when something goes wrong. You were offered the option of a trading area and refused.  

• Like 2