Mitsubishi A6M2b ZERO early Hasegawa 1/72

Hi all

Another from the series ended, aged Hasegawa, one of my favorite models, poor detailed cockpit, nice engraved panels, but finished has everything on its place. To my sorrow, invested time and efforts to fully equip coskpit, fully build interior and improved seat ... etc ..... all that once closed with canopy stays buried and almost invisible.
Colors ...... questionable as always. I tried to apply everything that I've found for early Zero, which means light gray (IJN). What ever is really correct,  I wanted to have two approach, IJN gray / green (i just finished airfix one) and gray of the IJN. In addition, I tried to break up the monotony with various surface shades, frankly I would not bet the reality of the final look, but I like it .... The next one will be certainly more balanced.
Hinomaru and stripe painted, because my original cracked :(. Wash standard approach, artistic oil paint, Tamiya pastels, and Gunze varnish at the end.
Pictures, with greetings to all

tumblr_ot1lad4YBO1wu0f8ro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ot1lad4YBO1wu0f8ro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ot1lad4YBO1wu0f8ro6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ot1lad4YBO1wu0f8ro5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ot1lad4YBO1wu0f8ro8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ot1lad4YBO1wu0f8ro9_1280.jpg

At the very least, a comparison with his twin brother by Airfix (for comparison of shape):

tumblr_ot1lad4YBO1wu0f8ro10_1280.jpg

Edited by djos
images moved from Photobucket
  • Like 17

Fine work! I like the effect of the slightly different colored panels. It is subtle enough to bring life into the model without standing out too much.

The comparison between Airfix and Hasegawa is very instructing. I would always prefer the Hasegawa kit because of the finer surface detail.

• Like 2

Great model!

The Hasegawa appears slightly undersized compared to the Airfix, but the deeper panel lines of the latter do not shock whatsoever.

Both are nice kits and you should be proud of your duo.

JR

• Like 1

Hello, Djos -

Your Zero model looks great - nice bit of subtle weathering too.  Don't fret over the colour - I never worry too much about perfect colour matches anyway - it's just a model after all and does it really matter if it is 'in the spirit of the original' anyway?

Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Hello Djos,

Very nicely done Zeros there!  

The question of what colours are the most appropriate are interesting (and the answers change over time, too). My feeling from what I've seen and read on many sites is that the colour you painted the Airfix Zero is probably the more "correct" hue (Ame-iro - caramel or burnt sugar). The colour of the Hasegawa Zero, however, is probably a good match for IJA aircraft (rather than IJN), especially earlier ones like Ki-27 Nate etc.

I also agree that the panel lines on the Hasegawa kit are far more appropriate for 1/72 scale.

Regards,

David 

• Like 1

I think it's steadily becoming accepted that the Airfix one was the correct colour for Mitsubishi built Zekes. There are still people peddling the light grey idea but I've yet to see any evidence to back up the opinions, whereas the colour on the Airfix Zeke is closer to that backed up by primary source research and analysis.

That said, they're both very nice builds and I too like the small tonal differences achieved on the Hasegawa one on different panels. It doesn't stand out as obvious, but it does help bring it to life. :)

• Like 1