This will be my first group build of the year. I have been looking forward as I enjoy building the weird & wonderful.

My first entry will by Planet Models 1/72 Short SC1. This is a resin kit with some etch, white metal and vacuform canopies (4 supplied)

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2001

Plan is too finish her as XG900 the first prototype. This airframe is displayed at the science museum, although in a way that make decent photography difficult.

Shorts%20SC1%20XG900%2001%20Science%20Mu

• Like 9

Steve, thanks for the photos. Helped with the cockpit.

Made a start, an hour spent with the razor saw removing the resin pour stubs. Didn't appreciate how small this plane is until i started.

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2002

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2004

Cockpit complete, seat enhanced with some spare etch belts 

• Like 3

The cockpit is looking very tidy :thumbsup2: .

This is a lovely subject. I don't know if you've seen the 1930's Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon series?

The SC1 reminds me of the very stylised spaceships in that series.

A belated welcome to the GB; I'm looking forward to seeing this come together; I'm also looking forward to learning about resin modelling :).

All best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony.  I agree it does look a bit Flash Gordon.

Not sure you will learn alot about resin modelling, I am a beginner when it comes to resin.

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2005

Made a start on installing the internal and closing up the fuselage. Quite a bit of wet sanding required to get everything to fit, I use a gel superglue, I find it gives me a bit of wiggle time to get things lined up, downside it seems to increase the chance of leaving fingerprints! 

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2006

Needed quite a bit of filler around the intakes and along the bottom of the fuselage.  Wings added. 

Still some tidying up required on the joints before moving on to the vacuform canopy.

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2007

• Like 6

Great and fast progress Jb :thumbsup2: .

Already closed up! I just wanted to ask, do you take any extra precautions when sanding resin models?

For example, if sanding the fuselage swam, do you wet it down, wear a mask, anything like that?

I've read that the dust can be quite naughty. It worried me a bit as around ten years ago, I can remember being covered with dust after cutting a lot of parts out with a dremel, for a Soecial Hobby Lockheed Orion. I didn't know at the time it may have been the wrong thing to do.

The gel glue sounds a good way to go; good tip duly noted :smile: 

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks for the comments. Not many parts to this one so progress is quick.

Resin dust in not good for you, especially if inhaled, can cause lung problems.

Not an expert only my third resin kit. I wear a face mask when cutting and sanding. I always wet sand, using wet'n'dry paper, and disposed of it before the sanding slurry has a chance to dry out.

Also only use hand tools when working with resin to try to reduce the creation of fine dust,.again using water to try to keep the produced dust down, and when finish wipe down the work area with a wet cloth.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Looks like an interesting kit and you are making great progress. I hear good things about the Planet Models kits.

If you are going to model it as displayed in the Science Museum, don't forget to make the belts hang sideways :)

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 10:08 AM, AdrianMF said:

If you are going to model it as displayed in the Science Museum, don't forget to make the belts hang sideways :)

Hadn't thought of displaying it that way. It will be the tradition way, standing on its wheels.

Construction continues. Bucked up courage to tackle the vacuform canopy. Masked it first before cutting it out, find it easier to mask this way. I'm happy with the way it came it.

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2008

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2010

Currently in the paint shop. Painted using a rattle can, Humbrol Silver.

• Like 5

Shorts%20SC1%20072%20Planet%20Model%2013

Calling this one finished. I enjoyed this build. Do love build slightly odd looking aircraft.

Just starting Mach 2s 1/72 SNECMA Coléoptère as part of this groupbuild, with Mach 2s Ryan X-13 Vertijet waiting in the wings.

Will fit well into my small collection of experimental aircraft

Weird%20amp%20Wonderful%2001_zpsjuvhfw7p

Weird%20amp%20Wonderful%2002_zpsc9ytvmtz

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A very small kit that must challenge how to hold items, a fine build of a very interesting test aircraft. It is a great pity it is on a shelf ( of doom !!!) in the Science Museum pretty much out of reach.

You have a fine little collection prototype/test aircraft there, a man after my own heart.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

That really is a nice collection. Congratulations on a really great model

completed and in the gallery :thumbsup2: 

Thanks for sharing this with us, an absolute pleasure :)

All best regards

TonyT