1/72 Tamiya Mosquitoes - NF.II and PR.IV

Stew, those Mosquitos are both devilishly handsome pieces of work sir.

I'm a devotee of the 'blackbase/scrappy in-fill' school of painting at the moment and pretty sure I must have picked up on that from one of your earlier threads; my short-term memory's pretty naff these days...was it a Wildcat?

As to your lighting/camera conundrum above, for blacks to come out that pale in a photo is usually just a question of exposure. Two things to try:

• Can you change the shutter speed manually to increase it?
  • Can you change how the camera meters the scene? If it lets you switch over to spot metering this would help you get a correct exposure for the bit you're pointing at in the centre, rather than the whole frame.

If you find additionally that as well as over-exposure, that the colours are not correct in your shots; if your camera lets you change the white balance, then set it to 'fluorescent' to match the colour temperature of your light. You can see the kinds of WB symbols you generally encounter on a camera  here:

white-balance-settings-display.gif

HTH,

Tony

• Like 4

Thanks Tony, I'll have a fiddle with the controls - I think I must have got the Idiot's Edition of the camera as it doesn't allow me to manually adjust stuff (as far as I can tell anyway) but offers a series of different 'pre-sets'. Oddly enough there is one for 'Food' which does offer the chance to amend the colour balance, I'll try it...

It looks like this. Is that better? The finishing touches are now being applied:

DSCN6057.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some pics in the Gallery before close of play...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

Thank you very much, Cookie :) 

DSCN6089.jpg

DSCN6114.jpg

DSCN6083.jpg

Gallery pics are here and here.

Thanks as ever to all who took part or dropped in, it has been a hoot as always -  also thanks to Dave Swindell for some interesting and enlightening information, without which my models would have been slightly worse :D.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Very nice Stew, a lovely couple of builds with nice added detail.

That 'Night' is so black... and nice shiny canopies. Lovely finish on both, good job matey :) 

• Like 1

Lovely work on both of these Stew. Had to play catch-up from almost the start and it was worth the time taken to read through :goodjob:

• Like 1

nice build - defo will use as a guide for mine once I get home to get started.

Always up to try new paints, I kinda use enamel for detail brush painting and Mr Paint/Mr Color laquers lately. There are some good colours in the collection.

What do you use to thin? What kinda mix? what kinda PSI? Thanks in advance.

Also the rigging thread for the Ae? I have always buried my head! Which of the infini deniers did you use with 1/72? Is there a guideline for 1/72 and 1/48?

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

What do you use to thin? What kinda mix? what kinda PSI? Thanks in advance.

Also the rigging thread for the Ae? I have always buried my head! Which of the infini deniers did you use with 1/72? Is there a guideline for 1/72 and 1/48?

Thanks Tim,

I've been using the Colorcoats own thinners lately, it has the qualities of nitro-cellulose thinners but without the stink. Well, it does have a faint smell of it's own but nothing like cellulose. I tend to mix 'by eye' but I'd guess it's about 60/40 thinner to paint and about 15psi but a bit thinner and a little less pressure for precise spraying or the thinned overspray of the base colour.

The infini thread was the white 'Fine' one which I think is 70 denier - there is an even finer one which might be even more 'scale' in appearance but I like this one better. Infini have just recently released a couple of reels specifically for aircraft rigging in black Lycra thread, I believe these are listed by scale - they're on the Sovereign Hobbies website but I've neither seen nor tried them.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Hi folks. I think Park Sang-Hyun who works at Infini and whom I'm friends with on Facebook has been watching me using the rigging line on aeroplanes and had a think because they've released versions as Aero Rigging for 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32. We'll have some of that in a week.

Stew's using the 70 black IIRC in 1/72 and it looks good. I've been going a bit more subtle still though using the 40 white on my 1/48 stuff. The new Aero ones are unique thicknesses but any of these will work - it's just a case of how obvious or subtle you want it to be :)