1/72 Tamiya Mosquitoes - NF.II and PR.IV

Looking good Stew!

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

So I'll give those 24 hours to cure fully (translation: me and the dog are off down the pub in a half-hour or so and may be some time, I may also be of impaired capability on my return).

:thumbsup::cheers:

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

But there again I'm sure there was a Mossie flown by the RN

The RN had quite a few, some with folding wings

5593.jpg

and quite possibly the ugliest Mosquito of all

8581.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Looking good Stew!

:thumbsup::cheers:

The RN had quite a few, some with folding wings

5593.jpg

and quite possibly the ugliest Mosquito of all

8581.jpg

Ah Noooooooo. Dark side here I come.  A Mosquito flown by an RN crew 

B*VA/HK252  125 Squadron Mk XVII flown by SubLt Petrie 22/06/44.  Not the prettiest Mosquito...

And its not not the only one.......

This is all your fault Stew Dapple....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

This is all your fault Stew Dapple....

One day you will thank me for this :D 

I popped the undercarriage units out and gave them a spray of Alclad Semi-matt Aluminium:

DSCN6016.jpg

... and sprayed the wheelbay 'roof' interior grey-green:

DSCN6021.jpg

I'll paint the 'walls' of the wheelbay aluminium later, not that you can see much in there anyway. Then I opened the PRU Blue and before I knew it...

DSCN6022.jpg

As usual my camera hasn't really captured the colour, IRL it is both noticeably darker and, I think, greyer. It looks nice anyway, and I am pleased I chose this scheme, not least for the lack of masking for different colours involved...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

I think it looks good too Stew. I'm messing around with a Spitfire XI which is in PRU Blue and I think it looks good too, there's something about the colour that accentuates the shape of the aircraft.

• Like 2

Thanks gents :D

I got the nightfighter painted. W4087 was a very early Mosquito and I believe it would have been finished in the RDM2A  'Special Night' scheme, the one sometimes referred to as 'sooty black' or 'lamp black'. Normally with black-basing I would do a scrappy fill-in of the camouflage colour over the black primer, then blend it in with several thinned layers of the camouflage colour until I was happy with the effect. As the camouflage colour in this case is black, I did the scrappy in-fill with RLM66 Schwarzgrau and then oversprayed this with several layers of thinned 'Night' until I was happy with it.

Then I took a picture and, in compensating for the overall blackness, my camera decided to make it look like I had actually painted it in overall Medium Sea Grey:

DSCN6026.jpg

It's black, trust me. It could, to paraphrase Spinal Tap, be some blacker, but to all intents and purposes, it is black.

Finally I gave the exhausts a coat of Tamiya Dark Iron so I can fit those and the shrouds once the paint has cured for a bit.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Weird eh Stew? Black is the new grey and PRU blue isn't, uh, blue? I wonder if your 'phone / camera has had a fit on its colour balance or one of the other settings... not that I know anything. 

Smooth though. 

• Like 1

Thanks Patrice, Ced,

The colour discrepancy is most likely my fault Ced, much as I like to blame the camera, it is a Nikon (albeit a cheap one) so it ought to know better, if only I knew what I was doing... I think the ash-grey background of my spray booth has an effect on the colours too - here is a picture from my desk:

DSCN6030.jpg

Still a bit over-illuminated but a better indication of the colours.

As you may note, if your eyesight is sharp enough, in the interim I have painted the tyres of the undercarriage units, so they can be re-fitted tomorrow.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

Lovely job Stew, they look really good on the bench.

It's obviously not the camera so perhaps it's the lamp in the booth? Is it one of those LED things? I have a 'multi-mode' one and, if it's on 'natural light' it, er, isn't...

Looking very nice Stew, what a pair!

• Like 1

They both look really good Stew. A lovely paint finish.

Im hoping to build a PR XV using a Matchbox kit and conversion set. I wondered what brand of paint you used for the PRU blue, it looks great :thumbsup2: .

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks gents :)

It's the same lamp Ced, the 'spray booth' is next to the desk, I just swing the lamp on the mounting as I need it. It's a fluorescent lamp from Maplin and is an excellent work lamp. I think that it all just proves that I am the problem when it comes to taking pictures :)

Tony, the paint is the Sovereign Colourcoats ACRN14 PRU Blue - Creative Models Australia stock them if you wanted to have a look...

I on an early shift today so I have to leave in an hour, but I hope to get the landing gear re-fitted before I go...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

That's me out of ideas on the pictures then Stew - weird innit? Nice lamp though.

As you say it must be the background or summut.

• Like 1

Thanks Ced, Rob :)

I re-installed the undercarriage and fitted the wheelbay doors, then sprayed the exhausts with Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron (which is my favourite for this sort of job) and fitted them:

DSCN6032.jpg

...once that was done the exhaust shrouds were attached and the propellers re-fitted:

DSCN6034.jpg

I think that is the assembly completed on the PR.IV apart from the R/T antenna wire and the wingtip naviagation lights, which I will add after the varnish coat - before that I will need to apply the markings.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9

Thanks gents - Patrice, I left them off until now to avoid some masking, but as they are painted Aluminium rather than natural metal I don't mind if they get a varnish coat :) 

I got the NF.II assembly completed apart from the wingtip lights:

DSCN6037.jpg

Hopefully I can apply the transfers on this one this evening...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

On 3/20/2017 at 4:15 AM, Stew Dapple said:

I'll paint the 'walls' of the wheelbay aluminium later, not that you can see much in there anyway. Then I opened the PRU Blue and before I knew it...

What did you use for the PRU blue?

Thanks gents, the transfers are now on the NF.II, hopefully I can do the PR.IV tonight and get them both wrapped up this weekend. Patrice, I agree adding the wheels and props as late as possible is generally the best idea, but the Tamiya Mossie u/c units are quite robust and have good solid attachment points - so far I have managed to avoid breakages :) 

23 hours ago, Magua87 said:

What did you use for the PRU blue?

Hi mate, I used this - I think your nearest stockist is Creative Models Australia, if you wanted to try some.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3