I'll be doing this in remembrance of the brave men and women who paved the way into space for the rest of us to wonder and follow:

Mercury001_zpsinomxlqz.jpg

I'll build it as Freedom 7 - Alan Shepard's ride on the 5'ht of May 1961.

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 9

I shall also be following with great interest. Cdr. Shepard was literally my first childhood hero---and the only one I actually had the honor to meet, later in life. (He seemed genuinely touched and amused at the revelation that every boy in our kindergarten class proudly sported 'his' haircut.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A belated welcome to the GB with this superb entry Hans :thumbsup2: 

I love real space subjects. I'm an Apollo era child, my earliest clear memory being the walk down the ladder for the first man on the moon. My dad woke me up from slumber to watch it on TV, I remember his words; 

"Watch this son, it's important".

That was my dad, of course, not Neil Armstrong. His words were a little more memorable for all of us :).

Your build will encourage me to learn more about the Mercury programme. Heroic feats achieved by modest men, that are hard to comprehend in the 21st Century.

Great stuff. Can we see in the box soon, can we, can we Dad :D

All the best

TonyT

Go on then - a quick look at what's in the box. :winkgrin:

Actually there's not a lot! The main parts are all moulded in one piece each, so there is no glueing left and right parts together, only top to bottom! :D

They even supplied a base and a metal rod on which to place it when it's done! :clap2:

Look for yourselves! - Notice, that the instructions are printed on the back of the box! :D

Mercury002_zpshqkokimt.jpg

I think that this really is going to be an easy build and actually no weathering as well - I mean, the thing hasn't flown yet! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 3

And we have liftoff! :thumbsup:

To starters just another shot of the parts - there's not a lot of them, but what are there are crisp and fit together nicely.

Mercury003_zpsx1qbl14i.jpg

Now the next picture requires a bit of explanation.

I can already hear some of you asking:"But, how big is it, Hans?" :hmmm:

Now to fully be able to answer that question I had to take a lot into consideration.

I'm danish and measure lenght in centimeters and meters, but this is Britmodeller and you Brits measure lenght in inches and yards.

So i had to come up with a common measuringdevice, that we all know and treasure.

So I present to you the official "Reggelsen Household Measuring Device" :D

Mercury004_zps6nui0kcb.jpg

No need to thank me, just be sure to nominate me for the Nobell Piece Prize! ;)

BTW I'm not advocating drinking alcohol and modeling at the same time. 

This ones for enjoyment later this evening. :drink:

Hans J

Cheers

Hans J

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

BTW I'm not advocating drinking alcohol and modeling at the same time. 

I find it makes photo etch less stressful and when you loose the really tiny parts, you don't care. 

• Like 3

This is going to be a quick one! :D

Mercury005_zps7puxztcl.jpg

Next up is the painting af the black parts of the fins and then the steel parts of the fins and engine.

Then I'll glue the enginepart to the rest of the rocket and give it all 1-2 coats of gloss in preparation of the decals.

18 hours ago, Sofusthecat said:

Dear Hans

The font on the Dragon decals looks a bit funny. New Ware make a replacement set for only $7 + postage. I liked their set they make for the Saturn V, they look perfect and go on without silvering.

Regards Toby

Hi Toby

Thanks for the heads'up. :thumbsup:

I looked the decals from New Ware up and they sure seem nice.

You're right that their font is different from the supplied ones in the kit.

I have googled it, at found different pictures showing both types of font.

Maybe some of them are on exhibition Mercury's? :hmmm:

But that is OK with me, as I have a little plan....;)

Hans J

• Like 1

The escaperocket is now painted red and the whole chibang has received a couple of coats of gloss varnish in preparation for the decals.:D

Mercury008_zps5k5dqu0d.jpg

I found this the most inspiring:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B7HRJP/nasa-mercury-redstone-freedom-7-rocket-visitor-center-kennedy-space-B7HRJP.jpg

And this.

https://www.universetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_5481a_Shepard-Anniv_Ken-Kremer.jpg

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 2

While the base is drying from its first coat of paint - blue - I gave the rocket a light wash and assembled the capsule and the escaperocket. :D

Mercury009_zpspdghxrxq.jpg

Time fly when you're having fun! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 4

I'm still at the base! :D

Mercury010_zpsyz2xnzcc.jpg

Mercury011_zpse6yr2cc9.jpg

I'll paint the base concretegray apart from the 'fake-foot'. It'll be hard to see, but it'll look as if the metalros is a part of the base-construction! :D

Hans J

• Like 1

Still at it!....:D

Mercury012_zpsntmb70ob.jpg

Mercury013_zpsmxbdvofg.jpg

I hope that you don't think I'm using to much space for the base, I just like to have a nice presentation of a subject close to my heart.

On the note of Mercury: Am I the only one that can remember a 'Phantom' story by Lee Falk and Sy Barry, where a Mercury astronaut lands in the Indian Ocean and is kidnapped by pirates? :hmmm:

He - of course - is rescued by the Phantom and sailed to safety in a canoe. :thumbsup:

Anyone else remember that story? :hmmm:

Hans J

who - once again - just realised how old he is! :winkgrin:

• Like 2

So - I am calling this one done! :thumbsup:

I think I need to clean out my modelling desk a bit!:

Mercury%20Finished%2001_zpsmvgzhvzx.jpg

You can find the pictures of the finished model in the Gallery.:D

It's a nice kit, but there are some things to watch out for:

1) On a model like this - that is essentially a long tube - alignment is vital! I didn't quiet succeed on that one. :hmmm:

2) You actually can not build Alan Shepard's Mercury, as the kit only has a square window - Shepard's had round ones (that is also why I chose to display it at an exhibition) :winkgrin:

My next GB is this one:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019015-f-111df-hasegawa-172/

Hope to see you there - It'll be a joy NOT to build a model with that much white paint for the time being. Two in a row is enough for now! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
Additional information
  • Like 3