1/72 Hasegawa Brewster B339C Royal Netherlands East Indies Air Force

Here is my representation of the Brewster B-339C No.3100 as flown by Lt. August 'Guus' Diebel of 2-VLG-V of the KNIL (Royal Netherlands East Indies Air Force) based at Semplak on the island of Java in early December 1941 . This unit was later moved to Singapore where the Dutch B-339's flew alongside the RAF and RAAF Buffaloes. Lt. Diebel claimed 2 Nate fighters in a Japanese raid on Singapore on 12th January 1942, though he was subsequently wounded and forced to bail out. He survived the war with three credited kills and in 1948 was awarded the Military William Order (the highest honour awarded by the Netherlands) but died in 1951 when the Gloster Meteor he was flying crashed at Uithuizen in the Netherlands.

The kit is the Hasegawa kit from the U.S. Navy/Marine combo set. It's a very nice, straightforward build, but I made several clumsy and/or sloppy errors in construction, painting and varnishing - luckily most of these are not really apparent in the pictures. I used the Eduard canopy mask set and lap-straps from their Microfabric U.S. seatbelt set. The U.S.-type tailcone and tailwheel was replaced with the Quickboost B339C/D resin tailcone set and the 'straight' pitot tube supplied with the kit was replaced with the 'cranked' type from an Airfix P-40B. Paints used for the uppersurface camouflage were Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats ACUS20 Dark Green, ACUS19 Green Olive Drab (Vietnam) for FS34079 and FS34102 which are believed to be the closest colour match for the Oudblad and Jongblad colours used on RNEIAF aircraft.  I used Alclad Semi-matt Aluminium for the undersides and Citadel Acrylic Runefang Steel for the cockpit interior. Transfers were from the Special Hobby B339C/D "Dutch & Japanese" kit and they worked very well.

The build thread is here. Thanks to everyone who participated and to Jim Maas in particular who was unstinting in providing a lot of useful information and whose advice made my model considerably more faithful to the original than it would otherwise have been.

Anyway; here are the pictures:

DSCN5937.jpg

DSCN5938.jpg

DSCN5940.jpg

DSCN5942.jpg

DSCN5944.jpg

DSCN5946.jpg

Thanks for your attention again gents :cheers:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 33

I like everything about this Stew, The subject matter, the canopy, colours, superb bright decals, Matt finish, just the lot.

I would love this on my shelf, well done, an absolute cracker.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
It helps if I include the right name
  • Like 1

Very nice, My main interests are Dutch subjects (as I am) and RAF. The Buffalo is one very close to top of the list.

Had started a Special Hobby kit a few years ago but a concrete wall got in the way during the build. Must try again.

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

this build has ended up looking top notch! Congrats on a gorgeous model!

I had no idea the Dutch aircraft in the 'Colonies' were painted in this color scheme! We indeed learn every day!

I love it!

JR

• Like 1