"Rising Decals did a good replacement decal sheet for this kit." 

Oh yes, I have these.  I would not have tried this build without them as the original decals look like they were done of the parchment used for the Dead Sea scrolls.

Greg in OK

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A belated welcome to the Group Build Greg :)

Great subject. This is one I would love to build too, it's quite hard to find at a reasonable price in this part of the world.

Looking forward to seeing this build.

All best regards

TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Finished one project today (the Matchbox Siskin) and started the next, the Frog/Novo Bristol 138A.

First up, tackle the prominent sinkholes.  

IMG_4461_zpsfubumkwn.jpg

IMG_4460_zpsj7admlgk.jpg

Marked my the Number 11 blades there are major sinkholes caused by every internal locating pin.

And so it starts.........

Bristol%20138%20Frog%20Ad_zpsl9qmsk10.jp

Greg in OK

• Like 7

Wow how old is the advert? I remember the Novo boxing but the original Frog was before my time. I wonder how many they sold in Russia ?

Nice choice Greg!

13 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Wow how old is the advert?

The kit was released in 1964. Decimal money started in 1971 so it's before then. The ad says the cheapest Frog kits are 2/- (10p) and the kit is 4/6 (22.5p). I remember Airfix kits were 2/6 (12.5p) in the mid sixties and Frog kits were if anything more expensive. So I'd say that the ad would probably be from when the kit was released in 1964.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

So many memories - I had this kit in 19$£ when I was about 11.  Simple black and silver scheme and even for an 11 year old made a really presentable kit.  Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Back at home and back at work (play) on the Bristol.

Still filling and sanding, it seems like every time I check the sanding that I did on the last fill I find another area in need of attention.

IMG_5131_zpsokss0b1j.jpg

So slowly it is coming along.

Greg in OK

• Like 2

On 09/04/2017 at 11:13 PM, Greg in OK said:

Back at home and back at work (play) on the Bristol.

Still filling and sanding, it seems like every time I check the sanding that I did on the last fill I find another area in need of attention.

IMG_5131_zpsokss0b1j.jpg

So slowly it is coming along.

Greg in OK

Hi Greg

Really enjoying this one, I have to say it really does bear a remarkable resemblance to a Typhoon in your picture !

Good luck with the rest of the build.

cheers Pat

Looking good Greg. Like most FROG kits it looks to have fundamentally gone together very nicely.

I like your stand :).

Looking forward to seeing wings on; I agree with Pat, at this stage it has a touch of Hawker Typhoon about it; once the radial is on the front it will transform it.

Great stuff.

TonyT

Enjoying this - looking forward to seeing more.

It's great to see a few old kits being built in this GB. I've not seen this one before - but the plastic brings back memories - remember when all kits (apart from Matchbox of course) seemed to be in this metallic grey plastic?

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit in the kit is very Zen, as in minimalist.  So I scratched some details to fill in the void and add to the simple floor and seat that came in the kit. 

A cardstock instrument panel, a control column cut from a spare tailhook (a Corsair's, if I remember correctly) and a few panels on the wall (mostly to hide injection pin marks).

Simple, but hopefully effective.  Ready to button her up.

B138%20Cockpit_zpszwelx5ra.jpg

Greg in Oklahoma

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I like your solution to the Zen interior Greg. The I/p looks great :)!

That really is a good way to deal with sink marks; to simply add detail over them; hey presto: gone! It looks how the cockpit interior of an experimental ship should.

It really is an attractive bird, I must buy one of these :heart: .

Is she buttoned up? Can't wait to see the next instalment.

Great stuff

TonyT

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2017 at 1:19 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Greg

Really enjoying this one, I have to say it really does bear a remarkable resemblance to a Typhoon in your picture !

Good luck with the rest of the build.

cheers Pat

Enjoying this build too.  And yes does look like an odd scale Typhoon.  Makes you wonder what the 138B airframe must have looked like being a two seater and with the Kestrel intended as the engine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Greg,

Just popping in to see how your Bristol's doing :).

I'm just being nagging and annoying because I really like FROG, Bristol and this particular model!

:pilot:

Still 17 days, it can be done.

Said he, with his own thread around 30 pictures behind :frantic: !

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1