AMX-30B on the way !!

Hello gents,

one year ago when I resumed modelling after a 30 years break, the first model I worked on was a Meng AMX-30B ... but after a few weeks, I don't know exactly why, I switched to a Tamiya Chieftain and the AMX-30 was put aside until now ;)

... but it's time to go back to that very detailed kit, the hull and turret are nearly finished, primed and so on ... just need some details as the numerous straps on the turret, preshading and more significantly, painting.

My main problem is that I still don't know exactly what would be the right color as I want an early plain green tank with a field camo made of chalky mud from the plain of Champagne ... and most pics are B&W :mellow: 

Anyway, here is the current state of the build ...

img_0422.jpg

I worked on the TOP7 tank commander turret to detail it with cables for the light and the AA-52 MG (the later versions have the AN-F1 MG, just different by the 7.62 NATO caliber instead of the 7.5mm initial caliber)

img_0420.jpg

As I mentionned, I have to install the storage straps around the turrets ... I already got the small brackets installed, made of brass wire and only one strap is on, made of 1mm masking tape with a PE buckle :

img_0421.jpg

Don't know exactly when I'll have time to work on this projet, but I'll let you know when there's something new B)

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 9

Hello gents,

thanks for your likes and comments ... B)

Now I remember why I gave up this model, temporarly of course ! I was a little bit afraid of the surgical work to add the numerous straps on the turret.

So today, I gathered my patience and made the leap ... there's 18 of them, took me several hours but the result seems OK and now the tank looks like a real AMX-30 !!

img_0424.jpg
img_0425.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 6

Hi Etienne,

I've been waiting for this one to come along. It's looking great. Nice job with the straps and buckles. Tedious I know, but worth it in the end. And a far better method than using etched brass straps. They are too stiff. I use pewter foil which is also better. What's your general opinion of the kit? As I said earlier, I have the Op Daguet version which I'll make a start on one day.

BTW. If you ever do that version, I have several photos of the one at Saumur.

John.

Hey,

those straps are awesome! Nice attention to detail here and very lovely work indeed. I look forward to seeing further updates.

/STefan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blaubar said:

Hey,

those straps are awesome! Nice attention to detail here and very lovely work indeed. I look forward to seeing further updates.

/STefan

Thanks Stefan ;)

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Etienne,

I've been waiting for this one to come along. It's looking great. Nice job with the straps and buckles. Tedious I know, but worth it in the end. And a far better method than using etched brass straps. They are too stiff. I use pewter foil which is also better. What's your general opinion of the kit? As I said earlier, I have the Op Daguet version which I'll make a start on one day.

BTW. If you ever do that version, I have several photos of the one at Saumur.

John.

Hello John,

the kit is pretty nice, crisp details and really accurate ... I just added the straps of course, and wiring for the TC machine gun, around the front lights and the infantry telephone on the rear. I have some PE add-ons in my stash but decided not to use them for this kit.

Regarding the B2 version used for Op' Daguet, I also have this kit and it's of the same level as the B version ... don't know if it will receive the sand camo or a NATO 3-tone ... many other projects before this one and I also have the Tiger AMX-30 Brennus to complete the family B)

Cheers, E

• Like 1

Hello gents,

thanks a lot for your comments ... now I hope not to disappoint you all :huh:

Today was pre-shading as the primer was grey colored ... this primer coat was sprayed at the beginning of 2016. Since then, I switched to black basing and then pre-shading was not used anymore for my other kits.

No photos for today, my pre-shading is ugly ... tomorrow I'll spray the base coat and hide those horrible black splotches ;)

E

• Like 3

Hello gents,

sunday update ... base coat, filter and some detail painting B) 

Next steps will be pin wash and I think it will be a long session as there is much details on this tank !! ... and tracks assembling, I have two sets of metal tracks, Friul and Spade Ace, still have to decide which one to use.

img_0426.jpg
img_0428.jpg
img_0427.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 4

Excellent!

Do not forget the small chains attached to the smoke discharger's caps.

Then there are also the pennants in their bags just behind the cleaning rods on top of the turret, but maybe you'll add them after the paint?

Also, the fire extingishers diffusers should be oriented on the other side, away from the pilot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Excellent!

Do not forget the small chains attached to the smoke discharger's caps.

Then there are also the pennants in their bags just behind the cleaning rods on top of the turret, but maybe you'll add them after the paint?

Also, the fire extingishers diffusers should be oriented on the other side, away from the pilot.

Salut Antoine,

I was planning to add the small chains later, because they could have a hard time during the weathering ;) ... and for the extinguishers, I had a doubt during the assembly, but I checked on photos and they are often mounted this way on early AMX-30 during the 80s.

About the pennants, I didn't see anything in the kit looking like this ... I'll have to check my documentation ! Do you have some photos ?

As you spent some time on AMX-30, you probably saw that I mounted the front road light inverted with the blackout light :mellow:

I have a question for you : what color are the tow cables eyelets ?

Cheers, E

About the fire extinguishers, its just common sense, pictures doesn't tell everything.

For the pennants, I couldn't find a better picture... Mostly because crew tend to keep them inside, to avoid losing them when going through the woods.

AMX30%20MOSKOWA%2002%20n232%202e%20RC.jp

No, I didn't noticed anything, I did just have a quick look. But if you want...

Tow cables were usualy black, IIRC.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Antoine said:

About the fire extinguishers, its just common sense, pictures doesn't tell everything.

For the pennants, I couldn't find a better picture... Mostly because crew tend to keep them inside, to avoid losing them when going through the woods.

Tow cables were usualy black, IIRC.

I understand ... the extinguishers of the kit are designed with the head toward the driver's hatch, so I mounted them this way and then asked myself, is it right ? I just found on photos that I wasn't totally wrong even if the best practice is to have the heads toward the outside ;)

For the pennants, I'll keep the idea for another AMX-30, probably the B2 ... I'll consider that on this one, they are stowed inside ... and thanks for the info about the cables !

E

52 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Another small thing.

The PH9 light, up on the TOP7, should be oriented downward, as you don't want any light reflected in your opponent gunsight in daylight.

Well, I might be obliged to build another AMX-30 ... c'est ballot ! ;)

E

Hello gents,

rainy day update ... today I painted all day long, notably the small stowage straps and other small details and added the chain for the smoke dischargers and the exhausts screens ;)

Then I sprayed the clear coat ... and all the nice and subtle color shades disappeared, not that surprising but a little bit frustrating :o

img_0443.jpg
img_0444.jpg
img_0445.jpg
img_0446.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 1