Tamiya Spitfire Mk. Vb 1/72 Stanisław Skalski mojo build.

On 05/03/2017 at 0:03 PM, limeypilot said:

I'm so glad you at least got to wash your parts on your birthday......Happy Birthday Tony! 

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together...and get finished!

Ian

You spotted it Ian :D. I thought the BBFC had missed it!

I did, in fact, thoroughly wash my parts, dropping them gently into tepid, slightly soapy water in the bathroom sink.

It happens to be just the right height to be comfortable, although a little small for dipping some of my biggest parts :confused: .

I left them to air dry on a soft, clean towel, rather than risk smears from wiping :o.

Thanks for the well wishes Ian. Yes, a kuta needed, keep them coming, this one must be finished!

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Righty ho, it will be last orders at the bar in 18 minutes.

Meanwhile:

The serial number of the aircraft on the decal sheet is: BM 131.

Best regards 

TonyT

21 minutes ago, Beard said:

Many, albeit belated, happy returns Tony.

I was going to post a photograph of a Spitfire but I can't get thr Flickr app to play ball.

Many thanks Simon :)!

Its the same for me with Flickr. At least it's more use (normally) than Photobucket.

I wrote to the latter two months ago simply asking 'When will your app work again?'. The reply I got was 'Thank you we are aware of the problem'.

Yes. Quite a problem :lol:!

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks for greetings. How is Canberra like? Is it desert city? I never been to Australia, but who knows what will be in future...

Have you seen this set of Skalski's airplanes decals ? (but in 1/48):

http://www.modelmaker.com.pl/D48057-Stanislaw-Skalski-planes/588/

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I remember a good pub in Bath, very central, kind of in a cobbled alleyway, with a very military name. Like 'The ************'s arms'

Cobbles? Crikey, I think Health & Safety put an end to most of those...

Volunteer Rifleman? Tiny little place.

I'll be more than happy to (re)introduce you to the pubs in Bath - first one's on me!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I'll be more than happy to (re)introduce you to the pubs in Bath - first one's on me!

Lovely little boozer, I hadn't been for ages then me and Mrs Ave popped in as part of a wedding anniversary trip to Bath last October.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

That's the one Ced :)! Many thanks.

I haven't been there for 18 years.

Memories of very pleasant afternoons with the first Mrs. T and wonderful quaffing evenings with my best friend from University. We would be discussing such puzzling topics as 'multiple regression analysis', that were much more easily understood after a couple of pints 🍻.

Thanks again Ced, has brought back some nice memories 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beard said:

I've worked it out...

FB_IMG_1457163638261

Happy Birthday.

Thanks Simon that's a lovely picture :).

The prototype is one that would be suitable for a GB that is due to commence this weekend.

Yoyrs truly is a host and still hasn't completely decided on a subject.....,

I know I have a Falcon vac canopy for the prototype. 

:hmmm: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Hello. Just found this and I'm in here of course:popcorn:. Congrats also from me here in Germany, although belated:cake:. ( Posted that already under your post somewhere on the Spadgents Eurofighter thread)

I wanted to buy this kit several years ago, but 30 € was to much for me and so I left this in the shop :(. Should be trouble free. I guess it falls together. I'm very excited, what you will do with this and how it will turns out.

P.S.: I'm not an Spitfire expert at all. ( I can only distinguish a  Merlin from a Griffon powered one) :fraidnot:.  So all that counts for me is, that it looks like an nice Spit in a splendid camo. Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1

On 09/03/2017 at 2:31 AM, 303sqn said:

IMG_zpsvauxvu4h.jpg

BM131 Flown by S/Ldr Skalski Operation Jubilee (Dieppe).

Oooo! Thank you very much :)! I couldn't find a picture anywhere. It's lovely to finally have one. What a wonderfully evocative picture too, with another aircraft overhead, the vehicle in the foreground, canopy back, rolling landcape....

Great stuff, thank you very much :thumbsup2: 

Thank you for popping in 303sqn :)

On 09/03/2017 at 4:21 AM, AdrianMF said:

Hi Tony,

Looking forward to seeing this progress (and, dare we say, even finish!)..

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you for popping in Adrian. The bench is finally clear enough, our house inspection over (and we passed with flying colours, all rooms classed as 'clean', the herb and vegetable beds as 'tidy'), so I managed to get the tiniest bit done. But it's a start. I've started so I'll finish. As a clever chap on a quiz show used to say ;).

On 09/03/2017 at 8:40 AM, bbudde said:

Hello. Just found this and I'm in here of course:popcorn:. Congrats also from me here in Germany, although belated:cake:. ( Posted that already under your post somewhere on the Spadgents Eurofighter thread)

I wanted to buy this kit several years ago, but 30 € was to much for me and so I left this in the shop :(. Should be trouble free. I guess it falls together. I'm very excited, what you will do with this and how it will turns out.

P.S.: I'm not an Spitfire expert at all. ( I can only distinguish a  Merlin from a Griffon powered one) :fraidnot:.  So all that counts for me is, that it looks like an nice Spit in a splendid camo. Cheers Benedikt

Thank you Benedikt and it's great to have you here :).

30 Euros  :o!! Ouch! I've had this kit in the stash a long time. I think I only have one other Tamiya (a 1/72 Mosquito). The Mosquito cost AUD $35 last year (21.20 Euro or £18.60 After kits and lots of shopping for the best price). I'm not sure what I originally paid for this, but price is the reason I only have two Tamiya kits. I only have two modern Hasegawa too.

I'm trying to sell a lot of the stash, so maybe if I free up funds, I might treat myself to one or two more Tamigawa in the future. A man can only build so many Amodel kits in a lifetime....and I think it's a lot less than the number of Tamigawa he can build.

Page two and no evidence of building!!

Oh dear.

My next post will show the tiny bit I've done, but one thing this thread has already accomplished: is to force me to fully tidy the Mancave and organise my desk/bench hybrid

It is done :thumbsup2: .

Many thanks to all for your comments and  advice, it has really helped with motivation and getting everything ready;)

All best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Auto correct scrambling corrected
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

our house inspection over

Tony, I know I'm OT, but can you please explain me about this? Why did you get a house inspection? I remember I had one by the local Police when we moved into our new house, but it was just to make sure we were actually living there (has to do about taxes, etc), no actual check on status and features. :confused:

Sorry again for the OT

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Tony, I know I'm OT, but can you please explain me about this? Why did you get a house inspection? I remember I had one by the local Police when we moved into our new house, but it was just to make sure we were actually living there (has to do about taxes, etc), no actual check on status and features. :confused:

Sorry again for the OT

Ciao

Hi Giorgio,

I don't mind OT :)! I'm not sure if it's the same system in Italy, or other countries, but happy to explain. A bit of international knowledge exchange :thumbsup2: 

Here when people rent a house, there are regular inspections to make sure that the people renting the house are looking after it.

We moved in just two months ago, so I was quite surprised by how soon it was; normally in my experience it is every 3 to six months.

We're quite honestly clean and tidy people, but I was a little worried as we don't have enough furniture yet. We need more cupboards and chests of drawers, more shelves to store our things.

It wasn't economically feasible to pay to transport everything 1300km, so we gave a lot of our old furniture to charity; 'Aid For The Blind'. We decided on that particular one as a little research showed that they use their funds really well, to provide special accommodation for blind and partially sighted people :thumbsup2: 

Given the lack of shelves and so forth, I spent a lot of the week unpacking the remaining 25 or so cardboard boxes of clothes, books, DVD's, ornaments, and really scratching my head, not knowing how to make it all look nice and neat for the inspection. I really did worry about it a little too much, but I'm a bit like that ;)!

To be served notice to leave, Mrs. T said that we'd probably had to have sprayed graffiti on the walls, be servicing a Harley Davidson motorcycle in the bath, or been  sacrificing sheep 🐑 to pagan gods in the lounge (which of course, is what we did at the last house :clown:).

Anyway the young lady came last Thursday with her little map/plan of the house  (she looked about 13 years old), and her iPad and took notes and pictures whilst I politely stood by, worrying of course (I'm good at that :mental: ).

We received her report by email on Saturday that everything was just perfect as far as she was concerned. So all my cleaning and sorting and shoving things away worked, I can pull the sheep out of the airing cupboard, get the motorbike out of the wardrobe and get my aerosols out now :thumbsup: .

Its important to pass the inspections well, because one then builds a good reputation with the agent, and if one moves again, they provide a very valuable good reference :).

We're not buying at this time because we're not sure what our plans will be for the year after this. We might move to the UK or possibly Denmark (I have worked there before).

There you go, completely OT, but why not. I know it's not very interesting but I hope I described it ok. A quick summary of the Australian property rental system!

With additional Spitfire flavour, a bit later.

:pilot:

I'm waiting for Flickr to show my uploaded photographs. Patiently :waiting:.

Ciao Giorgio

TonyT

• Like 5

Grazie Tony! Definitely not the same around here. It's been too long since I last lived in a rented house (I was at University, in fact, 20+ years ago :frantic: ), but I don't think much has changed. Up to the landlord to conduct any inspections - so that would never happen... I think it is slightly different if the house belong to a public subject, but I wouldn't know for sure...

Just had a pizza and a Weizen (half a litre of it), so looking forward for those pics now, to complete the nice evening :popcorn:

• Like 1

On 08/03/2017 at 3:19 AM, JWM said:

Thanks for greetings. How is Canberra like? Is it desert city? I never been to Australia, but who knows what will be in future...

Have you seen this set of Skalski's airplanes decals ? (but in 1/48):

http://www.modelmaker.com.pl/D48057-Stanislaw-Skalski-planes/588/

Cheers

J-W

Hello J-W,

I'm sorry, I should have replied before :dunce: !

I can see how it would be easy to think that Canberra would be a desert city; a great deal of this country (the centre) is desert.

I fact, it is very green here and in the mountains nearby (imaginatively called 'The Snowy Mountains') there is snow and skiing in the winter 

This is the capital city of Australia and it is the greenest city I have ever lived in. I'm very surprised. I tried to find photographs, but they're not very good. This is one I took on my birthday. It is taken from the Australian War Memorial, looking down ANZAC Parade, towards Parliament House. 

My 51st at the AWM

It is hard to believe that this is quite central in the city.

If you ever ever would like to visit, it would be great to show you some of the sights and spend s good day at the AWM. G for George, the Lancaster bomber is definitely worth seeing :).

I had a look at those decals. Many thanks, they look superb. I like that they included the MiG :thumbsup2: .

I learned from that sheet, and the photo that 303sqn posted, that the Spitfire I'm making is in the scheme it wore for Operation Jubilee, Dieppe, 1942. I decided to read more about it. There were no less than 48 Spitfire squadrons involved in that operation!

I guess others will know this already, but the scale of the operation is truly (to me) enormous. Here is the link in case anyone would like to read a little more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jubilee_order_of_battle

Thanks again J-W

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Tony,

Just caught up with this, and happy (belated) birthday!

On 3/7/2017 at 4:01 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

After 9 years without a drop of decent bitter, I'll be galloping to such watering holes like a man that's just found an oasis in the Desert. Not 'Ice Cold In Alex' but a variant thereof (God bless John Mills, that man made my childhood Sunday afternoons wonderful, many will surely know why :)?).

I've only ever spent a few days in Canberra, but my overwhelming impression was that it felt like it was always Sunday afternoon there. Not in a bad way, but a very different pace of life after Sydney & Melbourne.

My late uncle George Odgers was a historian - he wrote some of the RAAF official history - and he loved living in Canberra because all the records were there. I've noticed some of the same atmosphere in Ottawa: there's a distinct advantage in having the national museums, etc all in one small city without the big-city bustle & bother.

All the best,

Kevin

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KevinK said:

Tony,

Just caught up with this, and happy (belated) birthday!

I've only ever spent a few days in Canberra, but my overwhelming impression was that it felt like it was always Sunday afternoon there. Not in a bad way, but a very different pace of life after Sydney & Melbourne.

My late uncle George Odgers was a historian - he wrote some of the RAAF official history - and he loved living in Canberra because all the records were there. I've noticed some of the same atmosphere in Ottawa: there's a distinct advantage in having the national museums, etc all in one small city without the big-city bustle & bother.

All the best,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, good to have you pop in :)

I know what you mean about Sunday afternoon in a good way.

The population density is low compared to everywhere else I have lived and the road traffic extremely mild. It is an absolute breath of fresh air after the ever increasing sprawl of Brisbane.

I know some people say it's boring here, but it isn't at all, there's a lot to see and do. It's certainly a great place for lowering the stress levels. It would be nice if a few more cities were this calm :).

I've never been to Ottowa, but know it ranks highly in global quality of life polls. I will have to put it on the bucket list. Small, calm and interesting is a good combination.

Your uncle had a lovely job, this place would have been perfect, the resources are incredible.

Sadly no pictures today, all I'm getting from Flickr are the two coloured dots sending me cross eyed. I may have to start using Post Image.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Sadly no pictures today, all I'm getting from Flickr are the two coloured dots sending me cross eyed. I may have to start using Post Image.

Do you have it set to 'auto-upload'? I did and it took ages to upload everything I had saved. It can be turned off, in settings, so you can choose what to upload.

• Like 1

Disgracefully and unfashionably late, how could I have missed this the classic pairing of Tiger and Vb? :banghead:

Great to see you settled at Chez TT and getting stuck into a kit!:thumbsup2: I liked the scene- setting intro about the stash, like a curator at the Natural History Museum in S. Ken taking us round the storerooms, pulling open a drawer to reveal a stuffed marmoset or bandicoot and muttering 'Oh, that's where I put it.'

I'll be watching from here by the Trivial Pursuit machine with a pint glass of cooking sherry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spitfire BM131 JH-Q in the summer of 1942. This aircraft was supplied brand new to 317 Squadron on 4th May 1942 serving until 5th September 5. On that day the entire complement of 317 Squadron were transferred 315 Squadron. There it was coded PK-Q and remained until 315 squadron re-equipped with Spitfire Mk IXs in December 1942. Later, it served successively in squadrons: 501, 610, 611 and 234 until 1944. In 1947., converted to a LF.Vb, it was sold to Portugal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Beard said:

Do you have it set to 'auto-upload'? I did and it took ages to upload everything I had saved. It can be turned off, in settings, so you can choose what to upload.

Hello Simon,

Many thanks. I turned off auto upload. That will streamline things :).

Mrs. T is on the support line (interface thingy/agent) to 'Telstra', kind of an Oz BT. We've got no data coming through from them.

At lunchtime they told her to unplug the (brand new, top of the range :rant:)  router. Then plug it in again. Everything worked for about 5 minutes then it stopped. It's been like that since. I may faff and transfer pictures from the computer to the phone, then use mobile data.

I normally like to save that for GPS/maps when I'm driving. I'm hoping maybe they'll figure it out soon :waiting:.

Flipping telecoms companies!!! Aaargh. I remember being with 'Talk Talk' in the UK and after signing up, having no service for *seven months*. Their ineptitude and bull :poop: was exemplary.

All the best

TonyT