Porsche 917k Fujimi monza 71'

Right so a little more progress to this car from yesterday. 

I gave the body a very light polish but not to much, I think I only used up to 8000 micro mesh instead of the normal 12000 and then wax. It's shiny but not too shiny but does have a deep shine if you get what I mean.

20170408_152048_zpsi82yfspo.jpg

The front lights were also painted up and added. I mixed up a very light coat of yellow with clear, like 1 part yellow to 10 parts clear just to paint the tip of the light bulbs. Then when I stuck on the lens you couldn't see anything under anyway so it was a little bit of a waste. Obviously the light housings have been painted in black, a mix of semi gloss black and rubber black, they were painted by hand as I didn't want the airbrushed look. 

20170408_214818_zpswfoasfub.jpg

Other than that I should be able to get the body on the chassis at some point today maybe and finish off this build over the next couple of evenings. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Borez said:

Very nice. Is that an engine transkit I see in the background?

Ah good eyes Mr borez that is indeed parts of the engine transmit but also includes some of my own casts. A few holes need drilling out and a couple of small rods need to be added but the casting of the original engine parts turned out quite nicely. 

20170409_113702_zpsm65yohoc.jpg

20170409_113816_zpshpbjmepi.jpg

Second update of the day 

Also I have had to stop my modelling for today but as it's only little bits that need doing it's not a bit deal. 

The last few bits that were missing from the chassis have been added. The lights and suppoting rods. 

20170409_113901_001_zpszhlv8h18.jpg

Now it was just a case of going around the upper part of the body and adding the last few parts. So here's the fuel filler cap 

20170409_113920_zpsifjqx3t0.jpg

The oil(?) Cap 

20170409_113925_zpsxgotbbfd.jpg

And then the top part of the "engine"

20170409_113929_zpsiprncat8.jpg

I just need to put in the second smaller set of headlights then I can get the body mounted permanently but couldn't resist a quick mock up. 

20170409_113958_zpsjsndpeec.jpg

The interior from the outside 

20170409_114002_zpsj5r0mker.jpg

I have mock fitted the headlight covers,  windshield and side windows and they all seem a little off so I may need to trim them a little. 

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 3

You've cast your own block too, excellent work :thumbsup:

I was going to do some work on mine too today but it's just too nice to be in the house. The weather is glorious here in London.

I spent the whole week building up the bodywork that goes under the front arches last week, took way more time than I thought it would. They'll be a post on that later in the week once `i get the lower chassis primed. 

Great work on your though, it's coming along lovely :)

3 hours ago, Borez said:

You've cast your own block too, excellent work :thumbsup:

I was going to do some work on mine too today but it's just too nice to be in the house. The weather is glorious here in London.

I spent the whole week building up the bodywork that goes under the front arches last week, took way more time than I thought it would. They'll be a post on that later in the week once `i get the lower chassis primed. 

Great work on your though, it's coming along lovely :)

Yeah I finally managed to get hold of the engine set about 2 months ago but as you know they are very hard to find so I have made a few casts of the original parts just so I can have a basic engine to work off for my next few 917s. But I have seen bits recently about how brad? Who owns/owned historic racing miniatures has teamed up with some one else and maybe starting up again properly so I feel a bit guilty now as I would buy this set over and over again. 

I'm in the same boat down here in Dorset it's been lovely for the past few days plus it's the school holidays so I have to to family this the wife tells me lol 

Shaun 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Yeah I finally managed to get hold of the engine set about 2 months ago but as you know they are very hard to find so I have made a few casts of the original parts just so I can have a basic engine to work off for my next few 917s. But I have seen bits recently about how brad? Who owns/owned historic racing miniatures has teamed up with some one else and maybe starting up again properly so I feel a bit guilty now as I would buy this set over and over again. 

I'm in the same boat down here in Dorset it's been lovely for the past few days plus it's the school holidays so I have to to family this the wife tells me lol 

Shaun 

One thing to bear in mind if you build one of the transkits ( or in your own castings ) is that the circular centre section needs to be raised a mm ( or so ) so the top section will fit over the velocity stacks. It was a pain to fit it as is, I had to clamp it down in a vice.

1 hour ago, Borez said:

One thing to bear in mind if you build one of the transkits ( or in your own castings ) is that the circular centre section needs to be raised a mm ( or so ) so the top section will fit over the velocity stacks. It was a pain to fit it as is, I had to clamp it down in a vice.

Thanks for the heads up. I have many different thicknesses of plastic card stored up so I should be able to cut a circle out and just place it on top of the engine bit under the top part.

The only thing is though will that not make it sit to high by that mm when the body work goes on. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Some important progress over the last couple of days.

The 2 halves of the car have been stuck together. For some reason I struggled getting it all to sit down properly at the rear end so added a thin strip of plastic either side to give it a little more material to stick to. 

20170411_164758_zpst6n20qvk.jpg

Wheels have been put on, due to the slightly covered rear wheels they were a little tricky to get in without pinging the attachment points off. Also I went round the panel lines with some watery rubber black paint, which still needs a little clean up. 

20170411_164741_zpsnwevg5j7.jpg

And the rear end just to finish off the update. Again a few things need a little bit more to do but they are small and pretty easy. 

20170411_164728_zps7ajto1jr.jpg

Right so left to go is all the windows and light covers. 

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 6

Ideally it should be done by Friday as I am just waiting for the little front inlet piece paint to dry up then I should be just about ready to go in the cabinet. 

Shaun 

Right so a day later than originally hoped for this build.is now finally done. This is by far my quickest build over that last year at just over 6 weeks. 

So the last bit that needed to go on the car was by far the most frustrating, the windscreen wiper, it didn't want to sit properly and then I broke it trying to force it in to the right shape. Until I realised I stuck on a couple of bits wrong before putting it on the car I probably would have gone on ok so I ripped them back off and glued them again in the right place so now it sits a lot better but it's just typical of how this car has gone. Its been a little bit of a disappointment sandwich, bad start with an ok middle and ending with a bad end lol

So heres the car. 

20170415_154524_zpset4cwrtt.jpg

I've got to rub off all my prints from it then can get some proper pictures when ready. 

Thanks to all who commented or watched on the thread. 

Shaun. 

• Like 5

Coming together real nicely. Good stuff.

I found the perfect companion for this:

https://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/10450325-gulf-porsche-s-917k-jo-siffert-pedro-rodriquez-spa-franchorchamps-1970-beautifull-art-print

in this auction you will find several prints of these cars.

• Like 1