A NOSTALGIC TRIBUTE TO FROG MODEL KITS

On 15/12/2017 at 01:30, Troy Smith said:

by the sounds of you will fit right in,  there are an awful lot of  "old codgers"  here and little fragments like this

are fascinating details to add into a thread like this.   Any idea what magazine perhaps?

cheers

T

Can't pin it down to one unfortunately as she used to get Woman's own, Woman's realm and Woman at the time.

• 5 weeks later...

Talk about late to the party...

I have been reading this thread over the past few nights having only just found it and savouring every minute. It's like when you find an old photo album and before you know it, it's gone midnight !

Like many before me posting on here, memories of cycling to Local Models Shops, "Art & Crafts" Chingford Mount Rd and the other model shop that used to be on the bridge near Walthamstow Central station, Hoe Street I think. Racing home bursting to build it in your bedroom, completely focused and only leaving the room when food was made available before bolting it down and returning to the build.

Frog & Novo kits were bought from a newsagents in Tottenham High Road, and whilst on Holiday in Ennistymon Co Clare  Ireland. The perfect way to spend 2-3 weeks stuck in a farm house, in a peat bog on the west coast of Ireland with no telly ! I think they would call it character building now....

My return to the hobby after many years was sparked by a chance buy on eBay of a load of original unopened Frog kits of the yellow cards and see through packets variety. They are mint, just like they were when we bought them as nippers and I intend one day to try to collect the remaining ones of this type. 

I also have a good few in the stash to build including a weird one that is the He219 but half the instructions sheet is printed with the Mitchell details and the other half with the He219 ! I will try to find it and post a photo.

Please can we do a Frog GB, I would be delighted to help and if the current Matchbox one is anything to go by it will be amazing.

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

We were fortunate: we had shops with Airfix, Frog, Revell and Hasegawa kits, as well as odd stuff whose names escape me.  Then college beckoned with visits to Bud Morgan's in Cardiff. 

One thing that disappointed me about Frog (and Revell at that time): no vehicles.

So if one had a collection of 1/72 Frog aircraft kits in their boxes bags etc, one of each kits in each kind of packaging - 270+ items - other than evilBay where would one dispose/flog them?

Lists available. 

PM

5 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

One thing that disappointed me about Frog  no vehicles.

Frog did a few1/16 scale cars - I can remember the Mk1 Cortina, Austin (Morris? ) 1100 and I think the E Type Jag. I couldn't afford them then, and whilst I'd love to build them, I certainly can't afford them now!! 

Keith

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Frog did a few1/16 scale cars - I can remember the Mk1 Cortina, Austin (Morris? ) 1100 and I think the E Type Jag. I couldn't afford them then, and whilst I'd love to build them, I certainly can't afford them now!! 

Keith

If you cant afford them,there is no hope for the rest of us then.:rofl:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

some of these ended up  as "Frogspawn"

eg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/181315-donetsk-toys-factory-601-vauxhall-victor

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/181314-donetsk-toys-factory-602-ford-consul-cortina

which would be cheaper,  though how well moulded or the state of the moulds I  don't know.

a member @Aardvark  aka Serge posted up  a photo and someinformation about "Donetsk Toy Factory" here

who may know more. 

The linked thread is well worth read as it deals with what happened to  some of those Frog moulds,  in this case becoming nostalgia fodder in another country,  as his first model was Novo  Typhoon in 1980.

But FROG - NOVO still isn't indifferent for my heart, everything began with it, and Donetsk the city in which I live and which I love and with which the Soviet part of history FROG is connected. And how it is possible to live and love the city without knowing its history?

from

funny, I only just though too add in this,  Serge may  have already posted in this,  but if not...

HTH

T

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

some of those Frog moulds,  in this case becoming nostalgia fodder in another country, 

Absolutely fairly!
Nostalgia about the FROG?
You don't know what is real nostalgia!!!
At the Russian model forum the topic "FROG/NOVO - Nostalgie" has 186 pages today!!!! Hundred eighty six pages about the FROG / NOVO!!!!

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3700

I tell some memoirs in particular published this year about memoirs of the user of SikokoVremia, have shown what part city
and youth subculture this were teenage cult
models in the USSR on an equal basis with the VEB Plasticard about models of which
too there are a lot of memoirs:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_50801.html
As this part of history causes rather live
interest, group of enthusiasts
start in May of this year of the new website about the FROG/NOVO where perhaps is planned and there will be any information on the fate of press-form the FROG/NOVO car.
I don't know of the fate of compression molds the FROG/NOVO car it is but judging by that,
that these models cost on the Internet auctions a lot of money the fate of 

press-form

can be 
very much grief. For example, there are rumors that some press-form

the FROG/NOVO were is filled in with cement to form a basis the base for a supermarket which was built on the place of one of the destroyed factories of toys to make the FROG/NOVO models.
Therefore be not surprised to that,
that some FROG/NOVO models have so high price now and will have it in the future.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

FASCINATING 15 PLUS PAGES of memories and nostalgia from you gentlemen.... I mean old codgers!!

I was born abroad so hobby shop did not find it's way to ME.... and I am a little younger than some of you  but thank you for your FROG memorabilia et al. 

thanks adey  for a brilliant thread.:clap::yikes:

may you leapfrog to more stories.

:yahoo:

Funny there's a Sunday market a few miles away from me we visited before Christmas and despite an hour of nodding in agreement at all the

craft stuff the missus was eying and buying I "sensed" plastic and tucked away on a stall I found these two still sealed up.

25850588208_427267c328_b.jpg

39676731932_38531b85c2_b.jpg

38809981415_b6c30da3e8_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Neil.C said:

^^

Nice!  I'll bet you were pleased Steve. 

Love the box art, so evocative. 

Certainly was Neil,I never built more than a half dozen Frog kits as a kid so these two were new to me and I hate seeing models sat in boxes

they should be built so the Beau is my entry for the 10th anniversary GB.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 07:26, keefr22 said:

Keith

Speak to Pat at Collectakit. He has contacts in Russia and can get the big FROG cars. I got a bagged Cortina, and have seen the 1100 and FB Victor estate at Telford. You don't get the electric motors, but I paid around £16 two years ago.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 1:51 AM, Chillidragon said:

We were fortunate: we had shops with Airfix, Frog, Revell and Hasegawa kits, as well as odd stuff whose names escape me.  Then college beckoned with visits to Bud Morgan's in Cardiff. 

One thing that disappointed me about Frog (and Revell at that time): no vehicles.

Bud Morgan's.

I've suddenly stopped being 67 and I'm 14 again.

I must have spent enough hours in there between the ages of 10 and 18 to make up a year or more!

• Like 2

In general with the cars FROG/NOVO I have connected bad memoirs!

Because one of them promoted to burn my compressor.
Once my friend has asked me to paint the FROG/NOVO car in colors of cigarettes Marlboro pack, such red with white as he was going to do letters I don't know.
But I then had an air brush and the compressor.
Airbrush then in the USSR was released in large quantities only to Minsk, they were very rare, but they could be bought or exchanged for models who could buy them from those. 
But here about the compressor for airbrush there were problems! Yes, in the USSR were issued special the compressor for airbrush, I saw them twice! But they were bought by the enterprises for various needs, such as car repairs and artworks, there I also saw them, but I never saw them on sale!
It were compressors with a membrane. But how there was to be a modeller who was happiness to have an airbrush? Someone did models at work because there he had a centralized pipeline on which gave compressed air (by the way it was Donetsk toys factory), someone being the physician used the compressor bought at work medicine, bulk went on two ways. One did the self-made compressor, others took the compressor from the refrigerator.
There were many ways to make the self-made compressor, to me the way was remembered when to the internal combustion engine for flying a model aircraft (in the USSR such engines could be found in sale in shops, as by the way sets and for the flying semi-copies) connected the electric motor. The electric motor to rotate a model aircraft the engine which the piston swung a receiver and created pressure for an airbrush.
But I was lucky, I had a compressor from the refrigerator. It is necessary to tell that in Donetsk there was a plant on production of refrigerators which at first were issued under the "Donbass" brand then "NORD", now they are done under other name, I don't remember what. Here from the refrigerator mine had air such compressor a brush.
And here when I painted on a car cowl this white triangle as on a pack of the Marlboro cigarettes, the compressor has made a sound of PShShShSh and from him smoke has gone.
One of windings the electric motor has burned down and to repair them on 
the plant because only there it was possible to open quickly the welded case the compressor. There were the truth those who has drunk the case a hacksaw on metal, but it was very much, very long.

So I thanks to the car FROG/NOVO  remained without compressor for mine airbrush.
As the compressor I have adapted then a medical inhaler, but that's another story.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

23 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Funny

25850588208_427267c328_b.jpg

Pink Vampire that is funny:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1447315_1516008745_frog-154.jpg.html

resource:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3660

In my home I have blue plastic Vampire!

Pink & blue plastic Vampire it's a funny!!

:):):)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Am i seeing correctly... artwork is the Grand Harbour, Malta???

:o

7 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Pink Vampire that is funny:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1447315_1516008745_frog-154.jpg.html

resource:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3660

In my home I have blue plastic Vampire!

Pink & blue plastic Vampire it's a funny!!

:):):)

B.R.

Serge

2 hours ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

Am i seeing correctly... artwork is the Grand Harbour, Malta???

It is ingenious!

As I haven't guessed at once!

It is NOVO released already pre-painted the Vampire models in camouflages RAF pink and RAF PRU blue!

:):)

B.R.

Serge

Thought I would jump into this thread: first time poster, long-time lurker.

Recently started building again after a 20 year hiatus. I have a huge stash of 1/72 kits from back in the day: lots of old Matchbox, Heller, Revell, Airfix, etc. that I'm trying to just build out and not obsess over. LOL! Right... Plus a lot of 1/144 from when I was living in a tiny flat and had no display room.

I've pulled out and resurrected a few of my old builds, some from High School days in the late 60s.

That includes this Airlines MC-202 that I recently restored. Needed a new rudder and prop blade, but other than that, it's as-built and hand-painted from about 1969. With decals from an old His-Air-Dec news issue (Remember that publication? Groundbreaking in it's day. I still have many usable decal sheets originally bound into issues.)

Anyway, let me know what you think. Will post some other Frog/Airlines stuff soon.

MC202-front-right

MC202-front

MC202-top

MC202-top-right

Dave G.

Edited by SledDawg
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

Only missed you by ten years, then...

Oh I don't know, I used to pop in there from time to time after 1968, when I'd come home from college myself, or after I got married and visited my family.

Do you know when it did close?

I was a regular visitor (each Wednesday) from 1980 to summer 1983, then two weekly until around spring 1986 when time ran short.  Sometime in that period the railway part closed, then upstairs, then it moved across the road.  Finally, it became Antics at Bud Morgan, then moved again as Antics.  I don't know where exactly; I don't go home anymore.

Before 1980 Swansea Models and Hobbies was a more frequent source, also long gone.

Edited by Chillidragon