Ferrari 288 GTO

This has been on the back-burner for a while, and I have decided that this also needs to be completed. I have had the kit for a considerable while.

The box:

IMG_0067_zpsydqy4yle.jpg

I have read a couple of builds and they reported that it's an easy to put together kit, bit it has some minor issues. The rear wheels, for example tend to extend beyond the wheel arches. So, being forewarned, I will tackle that when I get nearer to completion. So for the present, here is where I have got:

IMG_0068_zpsxotypjsx.jpg

The body has already been painted, and is not too bad. The engine is partially assembled. None of the turbos or inter-coolers are attached yet.

The rear sub-frame is primed and ready to get the top coat. I'm going to paint the wish-bones either aluminium or gold. I have the Tamiya Titanium Gold, so I may use that.

The lump:

IMG_0069_zpswzop8lhi.jpg

IMG_0070_zpsecmofhp6.jpg

The drive belt on the original was poorly moulded on the front. So, I carefully routed out the moulded on drive belt, then put a slightly more realistic belt and pulleys on. The belt is made from a strip of 5 thou evergreen styrene. Shame it'll all be hidden when installed!

The body shell:

IMG_0072_zps2gtfbjal.jpg

and the floor-pan:

IMG_0073_zpslsc7mlhv.jpg

I'm hoping to move this along at a slightly faster pace.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 2

i built this one a long time ago. the only issue I can remember having is that the turbo's & pipes didn't connect up properly. so glad I got to see a real one in the flesh during the 60 year celebrations.

Yes, I thought that the turbos and pipes looked like a bit of a nightmare!

I just hope that I got the correct manifolds on the correct sides!

17 hours ago, spoly said:

so glad I got to see a real one in the flesh during the 60 year celebrations.

I have never seen a 288 in the flesh unfortunately. However, I did see a F-40 in a small Cotswold town near where I live.

As far as I know, all the F-40s in the UK were originally registered with licence plates starting 'F 40 <nnn>'

All the best, Alan.

there would only be a handful of F40's in Australia and until they turn 30, they cannot be registered for everyday use. Unless one of the owners wants to spend a heap of money converting them to RHD.

A tale of two turbos (and an exhaust system)...

After a lot of fettling, i.e sanding painting, seeing flaws, sanding, painting ... this is where I have got to.

IMG_0082_zpsvej7ox5k.jpg

They are ready to add to the engine, at last.

Thanks for looking, Alan.

Having real problems getting the turbos and pipes to fit properly...

Hopefully, once the cement is set and any touching up is done, it won't look too bad. I think it'll all be hidden by the inter-coolers anyway...

More progress:

I have added some more to the engine:

IMG_0097_zpseai4atqv.jpg

IMG_0099_zpsh36ddr7i.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsdnvfv1pg.jpg

This is the engine in the sub-frame just prior to putting the whole shebang into the floor-pan.

IMG_0101_zpssrfiw4ts.jpg

I'm not sure whether it is correct, but I painted the axle stubs aluminium, and the wish-bones gold. I used Tamiya Titanium Gold as it's a bit more restrained than the usual gold. I think that it looks OK.

IMG_0103_zpstxzzdrur.jpg

I had to do a bit of filling with Mr White Surfacer on the wish-bone where the axle was attached to the wish-bone, as Italeri had made the pin a bit short, and the hole all the way through the wish-bone. After a bit of sanding and re-painting, it more or less disappeared.

IMG_0104_zpso9jf7srg.jpg

The engine and sub-frame in the floor-pan.

IMG_0106_zps2y96mk7z.jpg

The plumbing fits where it touches, and I am not going to try to force anything to join correctly. It's only visible if you peer inside the back with a bright torch! It will be completely invisible when the body is put on, I hope...

IMG_0107_zpsk2en4deg.jpg

IMG_0108_zpsbuoun2eu.jpg

The image is a bit washed out, I think it's to do with the white table on which I took the photographs. On this one it's a bit more obvious than the others.

In all these images, I tweaked the contrast and colour balance a bit.

IMG_0109_zpstr1o13xk.jpg

In this image, you can see that I have also put the front suspension on as well. Again, I painted the wishbones Titanium Gold.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Evening All,

Not a huge update on this one. I have managed to assemble and paint the seats.

Mind you they are a bit of a painting challenge.

IMG_0177_zps8chtizgg.jpg

I started by priming the seats with a light grey coat, followed by a white stripe down the middle.

I then painted in the horizontal strips red (XF-7). Then with a lot of care, I painted the black horizontal strips with my favourite Abbadon Black. Then I finished on the bolsters and the backs of the chairs. Several touch-ups occurred before I was totally happy. Once complete, I gave them a quick coat of satin varnish just to even out the finish.

Hopefully, I'll get the cock-pit complete soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress on this.

I have assembled the cabin, thus:

Ferarri288_0001_zpsge8k9pw4.jpg

Ferarri288_0002_zpscm8tx9lg.jpg

Since these pictures were taken, I have attached the door panels and fixed the cabin to the floor pan. More pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Chaps,

Some more progress on the GTO.

I managed to get the glazing in and the interior painted, and the rear-view mirror fitted before putting the body on the floor-pan.

The body fits really well. My main concern was ensuring that the rear window fitted in the recess on the cabin. I needn't have worried, it fitted perfectly.

But, there's always a but isn't there... :)

I had fitted the body BEFORE putting in the rear-view mirror. So, off with the body and in with the mirror. However, as I removed the body, I removed one of the door mirrors ... doh!

Fortunately, it fitted back OK and after installing the rear-view mirror, the body went back on well as well... I was nearly tempted to not bother. However, I would always be bothered that it wasn't there, even though you can barely see it!

Another thing is how Italeri want you to support the engine cover. They provide four small rectangular pieces that you are meant to glue onto the bottom of the rear buttresses. Anyway, I decided that they would look really naff and make the model a bit too toy-like.

So, I cut two 2.5 mm wide strips of 15 thou styrene sheet, and cemented them on to the bottom of the buttresses, thus:

Ferrari288_0003_zpsh29bbxbs.jpg

As you can see, they are a bit white at the moment. However, I painted them with a red cocktail that I mixed up (5 parts Hu19, I part XF9) which matches the body colour closely enough. I also painted the underside of them black to match the colour in the engine bay.

Ferrari288_0005_zpsjk1secy4.jpg

It fits like a glove. Notice that the mirror is back on...

Ferrari288_0006_zpspj9zrysm.jpg

Ferrari288_0007_zpsvctopzfh.jpg

Ferrari288_0008_zpsve78pwyn.jpg

Ferrari288_0009_zpsinrntoa0.jpg

Still a lot to do. Mostly, the front and rear fenders and lights. Then I'll put the wheels on.

This is where things might get tricky. Other builds of this kit state that the rear wheels tend to extend outside the wheel arches, but to be forewarned is to be fore-armed, as they say (whoever 'they' are...). This was a review of the Testors version, so whether that has an influence, I don't know.

• Like 2

Nice workmanship this will look great next to your other Ferrari.

Not to much more to do looking forward to seeing it completed

Roger

• Like 1

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your kind comments.

It's interesting to note that the 288 & 308 aren't dissimilar in size. I guess that the 308 was the base platform for the 288. They look so similar as well.

My major concern with the 288 is that I have read builds on other forums that the rear wheels tend to stick out past the wheel-arches.

Only time will tell...

All the best, Alan.

• Like 1

Nice work on this beautiful Ferrari.

Yes, the 288 GTO was derived from the 308/328 models.

It's a bit overshadowed by the F40, but it's one of the last Ferrari models that were build while Enzo was alive.

I've been fortunate to see a couple of them in real live (even sat in one !). The lines and curves of the 288 are absolutely stunning.

I had high hopes that Pocher would produce a 1/8 scale kit, but unfortunately they never did.

Maybe one day Hornby will realize that producing the Pocher F40 IS the smart thing to do.

• Like 1

Hi Pascal,

I thought that I had read that the 288 was a derivation of the 308/328. The similarity in shape, if not in engine layout is too much of a coincidence.

I do believe that Tamiya did a 'part-assembled' 1/12 288 GTO, albeit at an astronomical price!

Hiroboy list it, but as discontinued, sadly:

http://www.hiroboy.com/112_Ferrari_288_GTO__SemiAssembled_Premium_Model--product--2734.html

Best Regards,

Alan.

Yes, that Tamiya one sure looks like a nice model, but at that price it a NO for me :huh:

This 288 GTO clip has some very nice engine sounds and some INSANE driving :

Edited by Pascal
  • Like 1

Nice video!

Anyway, Hello All, so minor updates:

I finally got the wheels on. This is the most disappointing part of te build. I was lead to believe that the rear wheels would stick out past the wheel-arches.

This wasn't the case. The fronts however ... I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Ferrari288_0010_zpscvco2mfr.jpg

It doesn't look too bad from here, does it?

Ferrari288_0011_zpswerp5isd.jpg

The right wheel doesn't look too bad. I can live with that, but the left one sticks out rather a lot. I'm not sure why, and anyway, I can't remove it now as it has been cemented onto the axle!

I had been successful with the other three, so assumed there wouldn't be any problem with the fourth. Doh!

Still, if I park it carefully, maybe no-one will notice. There's no way I'm going to attempt to pull it off. The suspension is a bit wobbly from my attempts to push it further on...

Ferrari288_0012_zpsytcozmfp.jpg

Apart from that glitch, it all looks quite good. Wheel centres, lights and wipers to go.

Oh, and the engine cover...

• Like 1

Hello All,

Another update. I have managed to put all the lights on and the wipers and a few other small parts. In fact there are no plastic parts left to put on.

All that is left to do to call this done is the few decals.

So, here we go:

Ferrari288_0014_zps2kh65ddy.jpg

The wheel centres have been installed, as you can see. I have also put a black wash into the shut-lines, to give the panels some definition.

Ferrari288_0015_zpsx0ofxkje.jpg

Apart from that wheel, it doesn't look too bad. The little prancing horse went on without too much trouble. A dab of 'Cristal Clear' adhesive sorted that.The side lights are just painted on. I see that the left one (our right from here) needs a bit of touching up. Just a dab of black will sort that.

Ferrari288_0016_zpsa4y0iept.jpg

The rear three-quarters view. The tail lights are in and another prancing horse added to the back panel.

She is a handsome beast from this angle!

Ferrari288_0017_zps4wpurqgg.jpg

Imagine that disappearing into the distance as you vainly try to follow it...

The engine cover is done. It just didn't make it into the photo-shoot!

Just the decaling to do.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 2

Hello All,

I'm hoping to do the decaling today. So this may well be on the RFI before EOP today...

(I love my TLAs...just ask, if you don't know)

All the best, Alan.

Hello All,

Finally, all done.

The decals have been applied and micro-soll'ed.

The only one that nearly drove me to distraction was the little Ferrari badge on the front. It would just not stay where it was put. All the others stayed where they were put!

Anyway, here are the pictures:

Ferrari288_0024_zpswloeu0vg.jpg

That wheel!

Ferrari288_0022_zps3h0rkgeb.jpg

Ferrari288_0020_zpsodt3g5ij.jpg

The camera focussed on the rear of the gear-box for some reason...

Ferrari288_0018_zpsrxipwenf.jpg

This is going into RFI now.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looks stunning - very nice work

Hi Roger,

Thank you. I hope that each build I do, I discover a new method to make them a bit more realistic. Recently, I have been doing a bit of mild weathering, for example.

On to my next build the Ferrari 348...

Cheers, Alan.

18 hours ago, Robin Lous said:

Wow! you're on a roll! Another great build finished!

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am rather pleased with it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, as they say!

The car park is beginning to get full!

Cheers, Alan.