1/72nd Hasegawa Kittyhawk Mk.Ia, AK259, FZ-R, 94 Sqn, Libya 1942

Hiya Folks,

Another built whch was too late for the MTO GB is this 72nd scale Hasegawa Kittyhawk Mk.Ia built as AK259, FZ-R of 94 Sqn RAF based in Libya in 1942. The serial can be seen upon a rectangle of the original Temperate Land Scheme while the remainder of the Dark Green areas were repainted using Middle Stone with Azure Blue on the undersides. Two photos below show the real aircraft and the second shows the red and white chequered rudder marking which was added later and mistakenly reported by opposing Axis pilots as being a Polish marking.

Related image

Image result for kittyhawk 94 sqn

Here is the model;

DSCF9710_zpsrrsqohxl.jpg

DSCF9714_zps527uuy71.jpg

DSCF9709_zpstbfsfvt3.jpg

DSCF9703_zpsgbbpqlgw.jpg

DSCF9712_zps1nh025oj.jpg

DSCF9711_zpspg0rtjls.jpg

DSCF9705_zpss6hk8kws.jpg

DSCF9716_zpspyd3wxs0.jpg

DSCF9708_zpsqzwzlmbv.jpg

DSCF9706_zpslzposav0.jpg

As usual the model was brush painted and apart from the etched gunsight from the spares box it was built straight from the box,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Lovely job.  It could easily pass as 1/48th to my eye.  I believe this aircraft was flown by Sgt, later Wing Commander, J F 'Eddie' Edwards on at least one occasion.  He was the most successful Canadian on Kittyhawks, 12 and three shared enemy aircraft on the type and a wartime total of 15 and three shared.   It's an interesting subject with the 'temperate' replacement cowling and squadron markings.   I wonder whether they were applied as a response to 112's rather flamboyant scheme. 

• Like 2