Veeday 1/72 Flycatcher

phat trev

I'm not sure what you mean by 'provenance' but I seem to remember that years ago - in the 1970s (?) - there was a British company called "Veday" that produced vacform kits.  Again from memory they were quite good.  Matchbox also produced 1/72,injection kitsof the Flycatcher and Gamecock ...  And very good they were too.

Hope this helps,

Jonny

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

If by 'provenance' you mean its origin and production history, it's all Veeday

https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=993091&p=timeline

And good luck finding a Matchbox Flycatcher or Gamecock...

Tell me about it! Wish they had continued their excellent 'tween the wars biplanes- they are still very good kits and can be made into real gems with a little detailing!

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonny said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'provenance' but I seem to remember that years ago - in the 1970s (?) - there was a British company called "Veday" that produced vacform kits.  Again from memory they were quite good.  Matchbox also produced 1/72,injection kitsof the Flycatcher and Gamecock ...  And very good they were too.

Hope this helps,

Jonny

I remember the Flycatcher, but never saw a Matchbox Gamecock.

Later,

Dave

42 minutes ago, e8n2 said:

I remember the Flycatcher, but never saw a Matchbox Gamecock.

Later,

Dave

Oh rats ...  My mistake.  Just the Flycatcher!

Provenance as in the origin of the Veeday models. Are they someone else's moulds? I have the Pegasus Gamecock and wondered if it was the same? -despite its crue look, I have so far found it a really good model, a challenge let's say!  

1 hour ago, JWM said:

J-W, the Broplan Gamecock II is not a vac but a short run injected kit.

10 hours ago, Jonny said:

Matchbox also produced 1/72,injection kitsof the Flycatcher and Gamecock ...  And very good they were too.

The only British biplane fighters made by Matchbox were the Fury, the Siskin and the Gladiator. Other than Veeday, Flycatcher kits were made by Aeroclub (injected), Esoteric (vac) and Karaya (resin) and the Gamecock was produced by Aeroclub and Pegasus (inj.) and CMR (resin).

• Like 4

I have the Veeday Flycatcher/Gamecock combo. The Gamecock, from memory, is somewhat reminiscent of the later Pegasus kit, which I also have. 

Matchbox certainly never did either of these, which is a terrible shame. I have all the Matchbox biplanes, and I think they rank amongst the best that they did. 

The between the wars era is one of my favourites, and much overlooked by the mainstream manufacturers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CarLos said:

J-W, the Broplan Gamecock II is not a vac but a short run injected kit.

O! - I did not know it. I consider Broplan a solely vacu models producing company...

BTW - I 've read today about Finish Gamecocks and I have to tell it - I have to buy this kit. This is in my range of collection. Next one to stash... Hope one day I will do it :) (if I will be here for long enough and in good enough health)...

J-W

20 hours ago, CarLos said:

The only British biplane fighters made by Matchbox were the Fury, the Siskin and the Gladiator. Other than Veeday, Flycatcher kits were made by Aeroclub (injected), Esoteric (vac) and Karaya (resin) and the Gamecock was produced by Aeroclub and Pegasus (inj.) and CMR (resin).

I thought I had remembered them doing another Brit fighter from that time period besides the three listed.  I liked the Heller Gladiator better, except for the wheels of course.  I have two of Revell's re-pops of the Fury, and I wish they would also produce more of the Matchbox, and Monogram, fighter kits from the 20s and 30s.  What I really liked about them, and now Airfix is starting to do this as well, was that the cabane struts were attached to the fuselage in Monogram's case, and could be pre-assembled and attached to the fuselage in Matchbox's case, so that the angle was correct and only maybe a slight bend or two was needed to get them to line up correctly on the upper wing.  I like all the choices we have now days, but just wish they could do for the cabane struts what the two Ms did.  All that those older kits really need right now is a more detailed cockpit, and the aftermarket people can cover that nicely, such as Starfighter Decals has done for the Monogram kits.

Later,

Dave

P.S.  It puzzles me because as I remember it, it was an in-line engine aircraft and the box art had it flying around sunset.  I'm thinking Sea Fox or Fairey IIIf, or something like that.  Oh well, it's been nearly 35 years since I last saw the thing in the stores.

15 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I have vague memories of a Flycatcher, but 1/48th from Inpact?  At least on artwork?

Yes, it was tooled by Inpact and later went on to Pyro and Lindberg. They also made the Bulldog, Fury and Gladiator: all four were superb kits for the 1960s. A kind relative bought me the last pair one birthday. I built a Lindberg boxing of the Gladiator about 15 years ago, and I've got a Fury and the Flycatcher to do.

I just did a search on the Matchbox.org site and came up with the Seafox, but it is not the one I remember.  I also saw the Siskin III and it also was not what I remembered of that kit.  Not sure what I saw way back when (I think it was in London when I was on leave from Germany), but I will have to look around to find what I thought was the Siskin.  It had a really weird fin and rudder assembly.  Time to hit the sack and maybe do some searching in the morning.

Later,

Dave

2 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I just did a search on the Matchbox.org site and came up with the Seafox, but it is not the one I remember.  I also saw the Siskin III and it also was not what I remembered of that kit.  Not sure what I saw way back when (I think it was in London when I was on leave from Germany), but I will have to look around to find what I thought was the Siskin.  It had a really weird fin and rudder assembly.  Time to hit the sack and maybe do some searching in the morning.

Later,

Dave

May be the Boeing P-12? I didn't refer it because this one is American (and the Seafox is not a fighter...).

Matchbox%20PK3%20P12slvg.JPG

Just a quick note before going off to work.  Matchbox DID do a Flycatcher!  I found this just a few minutes ago.  Still not the other aircraft I remember, but what the heck.

http://s626.photobucket.com/user/drtemplar/media/flycatcherbox.jpg.html

Later,

Dave

5 hours ago, stevehed said:

The " Matchbox" Flycatcher is a spoof that was posted on ATF. The thread is worth a look.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44590&p=662339&hilit=Flycatcher#p662339

Regards, Steve

The funny thing is I remember seeing it, and think I even had the kit.  Oh well.  The other one that I was thinking of had an in-line engine like a Fury, flying over water, like at a harbor in Asia with the orange glow of the setting, or rising, sun on the water.

Later,

Dave