MV Snowdrop scale plans?

Hello all, I have just found an interesting colour scheme to try out, but I need a ship to put it on!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MV_Snowdrop,_River_Mersey_(geograph_4586292).jpg

It is MV Snowdrop, a Mersey ferry, and it looks colourful! I have been able to scratchbuild a steam coaster in the past (and a river gunboat), and my good lady keep telling me I need to put all sorts of colours onto what I build, so this looks like a good candidate.

So... does anyone have any ideas where I could get scale plans for this ferry please? I do not mind the scale (just not too big), and I can worry how to mask it later...

I hope the link works!

All the best,

Ray

2 hours ago, Ray S said:

So... does anyone have any ideas where I could get scale plans for this ferry please?

Hi Ray,

I'd suggest your best bet is to ask the technical department / superintendent at Mersey Ferries if you could have a copy of the General Arrangement drawings for Snowdrop. Explain why you want them and be prepared to give them an example of your work. If you're lucky they'll have a pdf copy which would be easy to scale, otherwise the drawings are generally quite large.

Dave, thanks for the guidance, I will give them a go and see what happens.

Kev, I think you may be right there - I have some high intensity ultra high altitude shades which really alter the colour perception so may come away with eyesight intact (I wore them when I went up into Tibet a few years back, and it was only when I got back home and looked at my photographs did I realise just how much colour shift there was!).

I have found some builds online for a ferry similar to this, so may be able to do something, even if it is only a 'near enough' type thing. I do have an Ascot class paddle steamer kit I could do as a 'what could have been' in 1/700 - that would be a bit different! I would rather it be of the proper thing though.

Cheers for the replies,

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2017 at 6:23 PM, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Ray,

I'd suggest your best bet is to ask the technical department / superintendent at Mersey Ferries if you could have a copy of the General Arrangement drawings for Snowdrop. Explain why you want them and be prepared to give them an example of your work. If you're lucky they'll have a pdf copy which would be easy to scale, otherwise the drawings are generally quite large.

Hello Dave, I have sent an e-mail and a photo of a ship model to Mersey Ferries, so with luck I will get a reply! I sent them a picture of the SS Ophir I have built, as luck would have it, that ship was a Liverpool based ship!

I saw a forum build of a ferry very similar to Snowdrop, but do you think I can find it now? The builder had obtained plans (at a price) and I was going to ask them where they had got them from! I cannot find the site in the Google history on my computer.

Thanks again for the advice,

Ray