Which Phantom?

Sobby_23

So, I'm in the market for a 1/48 Phantom, but I'm a little unsure which was to go.

Currently it's a choice between the new ZM offering, or one of the Eduard Academy re-boxes with all the goodies. I'm not fussed about the ZM Phantom only including the Showtime 100 decals, nor am I overly bothered which of the Eduard offerings I could go with. Although, my preference would be to a build a Navy bird.

What I'm looking for is a well engineered kit which I can enjoy building, and won't fight me too much. To me that suggests the ZM offering, but, I'm intrigued by the Eduard re-boxes. They are cheaper, but as far as I know the Academy plastic is well respected, and all the resin goodies do look quite attractive. That being said, I've never worked with resin, so I'm a little apprehensive on that front. 

Basically, looking for some guidance, experience with both kits, anything that can help me decide which Spook will adorn my shelf! 

• Like 1

I've built the Academy kit and nearly completed the ZM kit, and in my opinion the ZM kit is streets ahead of the Academy kit. The fit of parts is excellent, with the cockpit having spare parts for a early or late F-4J, The Academy undercarriage is a little fiddly to put together. Also, the Academy tailplane is wrong and needs rescribing at the least, though Hypersonic have a direct rweplacement available.

I cannot comment on the ZM undercarriage as I have not got that far yet, but it looked good at Telford.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ted

• Like 3

I do not know about the ZM (but it looks excellent), while the Academy (I built two) was disappointing. Tailplane has already been mentioned and if the intakes are not fixed by eduard parts, they are some trouble to fix too. Cockpit interior is not overwhelming, too - not much better than the old Hasegawas.

Refuelling probe door is positioned wrong, some maintenance panels need to be filled in and the surface detail on the outer wing panels is reversed (top/bottom wise).

If I build another F-4 (J), I'd definitely go for ZM (plus some aftermarket decals).

• Like 1

Great question, I have yet to start any of them but once you've decided which you're after drop in by my website (link below) and take a look at what I have on offer.

Gratuitous plug warning!!

Duncan B

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, Ingo Degenhardt said:

If I build another F-4 (J), I'd definitely go for ZM (plus some aftermarket decals).

Aftermarket seatbelts would be good as well.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I don't have the kits mentioned here but according to many modellers the ZM kit is a very good one. On the other hand there was a "heated" conversation on "Large Scale Planes" forum about the rear fuselage shape of the ZM kit. Looking at the photos it catches your eye but I think it is quite easy to fix with some filler and sanding.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

On 04/03/2017 at 5:14 PM, Duncan B said:

Great question, I have yet to start any of them but once you've decided which you're after drop in by my website (link below) and take a look at what I have on offer.

Duncan B

Went for the ZM Phantom in the end ;)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sobby_23 said:

For sure the most modern tooling!

You can always go down the Eduard road your next built if you fancy having a more interesting modelling time and not only glueing plastic parts together ;)

You'd get a bit more detail as a bonus :devil:

Or wait a bit of time until Eduard brings out some dedicated ZM PE 

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sobby_23 said:

Indeed you did, I believe you just bought my last one from my eBay page (aircraft_nut) :) Whoever you bought it from I'm sure you'll enjoy the kit, it looks fantastic in the box at any rate.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 3/4/2017 at 11:14 AM, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

I did not see any link. :fraidnot:

Larry

Kit arrived this morning Duncan, great service! The business card in the box was a nice touch ;)

I've only had a brief look through the contents of the box, but it looks fantastic. Will look great alongside the Tamiya F-14! 

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Look again Larry, down the bottom in my signature where it says "Website".

Duncan B

That's probably because I had "Signatures" turned off in my Profile.

Oh well, no biggie. :undecided:

Larry

• Like 1