Track Links.....

Stephen Hawkins

Gaaaaah!

Who thought it would be a good idea to build up tracks with individual links?

Who thought it would be an even better idea to make these links out of multiple parts that are too small to see/handle?

Is it just a 'parts count' thing?  If so, then can I have some open hatches and some interior detail instead? 

Spending all weekend trying to build up track is not my idea of fun.

I cannot be the only one who has been put off a kit by this recent trend?

I have just built a 1/72 kit with individual links for goodness sake!  Its bad enough in 1/35!

I am starting to ask to look into kit boxes at my local shop to see it kit has old style rubber tracks - or at the very least have more flexible track sections that can be joined to get the sag that everyone wants.

Rant Over....

As you were!

Steve

Edited by Stephen Hawkins
correct a typo
  • Like 2

On 01/03/2017 at 8:30 AM, Stephen Hawkins said:

1 Who thought it would be a good idea to build up tracks with individual links?

Who thought it would be an even better idea to make these links out of multiple parts that are too small to see/handle?

2 Is it just a 'parts count' thing?  If so, then can I have some open hatches and some interior detail instead? 

3 Spending all weekend trying to build up track is not my idea of fun.

1  The likes of Dragon and AFV Club.  Although the earliest I can remember handling were by Tamiya on their German half-tracks.

2  Not really, it's more about detail fidelity.  There are three main advantages to separate links:

• each link will be flat.  It's surprising how obviously vinyl tracks are bent round tight curves like idlers - not just the whole track, but the individual links.
  • vinyl tracks are often well-moulded but they're always a compromise.  Separate links allow you to show proper gaps, hollow guide horns, end-connectors at a different angle from either of the links they connect, etc.  Some tracks are complex mixes of materials where mutliple parts show them better.
  • you can get all the curves and sags and such right.  Some vinyl tracks are just awful - so stiff that they form a perfect circle when the ends are joined, or so short that the sprockets ping off into the woodwork.  Sometimes both and worse.  The old Italeri Leopard tracks resemble chocolate bars, in that they're made of lots of squares, they're rectangular, and the only way to get them to bend is to melt them.  That's why I'll be buying five replacement sets as soon as I can.

3  I'm with you there.  It's worth doing, though.  Well, usually.

12 hours ago, Stephen Hawkins said:

I a sure those tracks are rubber.....

They are indeed.  In fact, they're heavily reinforced with steel, but essentially they're an endless band of rubber.  The idea goes back to the original Kegresse half-tracks and can still be found on snowmobiles and small excavators.