Miles.52

Here is a 1/72 model I finished recently. It was a bagged resin kit which I purchased from a friend. It had no decals and only a 3-view drawing.

I made a new nose on a lathe because the kit provided a simple cone but the nose should be an ogive. I hollowed out the nose and added resin bits to make a new cockpit. I also made a new nose gear well and repositioned (lower and aft) the main gear wells. Finally, I made new landing gear and my own decals. The canopy is from some blister packaging which just happened to have the correct curvature, and a gold tint too.

Enjoy.

Miles.52%20A.jpg

Miles.52%20B.jpg

Miles.52%20C.jpg

Edited by jbot1971
updated photos
  • Like 42

Very nice indeed. The aircraft that should have given the Brits the supersonic crown, but its development was umm.... mysteriously stopped after the war. Let's not mention the X-1...

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, stever219 said:

And the world record holder for the greatest number of aircraft types flown.

Also the highest number of carrier deck landings , first pilot to land a twin engined aircraft on a carrier and first pilot to land a jet engined aircraft on a carrier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jbot1971 said:

Ah, therein is the connection. So, maybe I will add a figure beside the plane, but in 1/72 scale, how can I make it look just like him?

Just do the figure with steam coming out of his ears! Mentioning the M.52 was the quickest way to get a rant out of Winkle. If you were going to mention it, it was best to retire to a safe distance first. To say that he was peed off about the project being cancelled due to concerns about the pilot's safety with absolutely no consultation with the pilots is putting it mildly!

A true gentleman and a massive loss.

Martian

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rob G said:

That sounds like a pretty good reason to me <cough>

Winkles point was that both he and the other test pilot assigned to the project did not feel the project was particularly risky and that safety was being used as an excuse to end the programme. He also, quite naturally, felt offended that people were making decisions about him without the slightest reference to him. His book on the whole debacle makes a very good read if you can get hold of a copy.

Martian

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Winkles point was that both he and the other test pilot assigned to the project did not feel the project was particularly risky and that safety was being used as an excuse to end the programme. He also, quite naturally, felt offended that people were making decisions about him without the slightest reference to him. His book on the whole debacle makes a very good read if you can get hold of a copy.

Martian

The cough was to signal my scepticism about the official reason. Sadly, verbal/visual cues don't always translate well to text:)  And yes, Brown's book on the topic is quite a read.

• Like 1

Wow, great model! I've wanted an M52 kit for a long time, I even scoured the models shops of the Czech republic looking for one! (well, Prague at least!) Although for the moment I've forgotten the manufacturer of that particular kit?

Can you tell me who manufactured this one of yours? Interesting you chose white for for your model? I just assumed it would be bare metal? Only a partial wooden mock up was ever made, I've never seen or read anything which would suggest it's colour?

As for Captain Eric 'winkle' Brown I would highly recommend his books . . .

'Wings on my Sleeve' and 'Miles M.52' of which I'm fortunate to have a signed copy!

Seems part of the official explanation for the M52 cancellation was safety concerns brought about by the great British boffin 'Barnes Wallis'!!

Maybe download the 3000th edition of 'Dessert Island Discs' from BBC Radio Four featuring Capt. Browns exploits from being adrift in the mediterranean after his carrier was sunk to his post war interrogation of Herman Goering and Hanna Rietsch and flying consecutive loops through the three spans of the Forth Bridge in a Spitfire!

. . . Kes

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

Hi Martian,

Is the book titled "Miles M.52: Gateway to Supersonic Flight"?

Just want to ensure I get the right thing.

Many thanks,
Mark

• Like 1

Kes, I bought the model from a friend who had it in his collection. It was in a bag, with an "instruction sheet" which was really little more than a 3-view drawing and an exploded diagram showing how the parts went together. One feature I do recall is that the model had three different tail cones (short, medium, and long) to simulate something considered on the real airplane ... or so the instruction sheet explained. However, there was no company name or other info anywhere on the sheet.

I chose white to suggest a clean surface, on which technicians would be able to see any leaks, deformations, heat marks, etc. Before painting my model I searched the internet and found many other interpretations; blue, yellow, green, metal, etc. NASA painted the various X-planes white so I thought I would do the same. I know the X-1 was orange, which will contrast nicely sitting beside the M.52, the La-176 was all metal, and the Dassault Mystere II was all metal too. Those four planes were the first to break the speed of sound. I am not sure if a German entry is warranted; did the Me-163 or the Me-262 ever exceed the speed of sound? 

• Like 2

The 163 did - in an out of control climb due to a rocket malfunction.  The pilot regained control after the engine ran out of fuel.  IIRC, it was one of the early B series and they calculated the speed by the fact that the rudder was torn off!

The kit sound like the AV Resins one.  TBH, you can scratch the fuselage with a Condor V2.

1 hour ago, mhaselden said:

Hi Martian,

Is the book titled "Miles M.52: Gateway to Supersonic Flight"?

Just want to ensure I get the right thing.

Many thanks,
Mark

This one?

MilesM52.jpg

• Like 2