Revell Glitterbug

After a few months of checking out your builds with envy, I've decided it's time to post my first completed kit.

I've been into old cars since I was a child, particularly Hot Rods, VW's and Porsches and when I saw the Revell Glitterbug kit, I had to get one and have a crack at it.

The kit was really fun to put together and perfect for me as a novice as the instructions were very simple (somewhere between that of a Kinder Egg and a proper, grown up model kit). Here they are for you to check out.

33134086606_4885c3fc62_b.jpg

As the Buggy had been called the "Glitterbug", their was only one way to paint it and that was with glitter. I primed the body, painted the interior matt black, masked the interior and then applied lots of green rattle can paint. As the paint was wet I sprinkled fine green glitter all over it hoping it would stick. I left the body to dry for a couple of days, shook off the excess glitter and then covered it with lots of clear lacquer, again using a rattle can.

Additional chrome was applied or touched up with a Molotow Liquid Chrome pen. I'd never heard of these pens before but I highly recommend them. Just make sure you give the chrome plenty time to dry before you touch them. The pen made doing the windscreen frame very easy. Also great for touching up where the parts join the sprues.

Happy to report not many mishaps during the build but there was one big blunder. I used Revells "Contacta" glue for the first time and was unaware of the needles getting blocked with glue. Obviously, I squeezed the glue harder and harder until it blurted out, mostly inside the drivers head. Unfortunately, his head has melted quite a bit from the inside and has caved in a bit, thankfully he comes with sunglasses to hide that. Anyway, just take one look at him and it's safe to say, that if he was a real person, inside his head would be pretty fried, too.

Hope you like the pictures and I look forward to your comments, critical or otherwise.

32348673813_b2e1e22f2d_c.jpg

32348672423_4d4b472aec_c.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, BeastieBoy73 said:

if he was a real person, inside his head would be pretty fried, too.

Possibly appropriate, given the dune buggy/stoner association from the '60s. :D

Nice work, and welcome to the hobby. You'll be superdetailing like a demon in a couple of months (woe betide you).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

Possibly appropriate, given the dune buggy/stoner association from the '60s. :D

Nice work, and welcome to the hobby. You'll be superdetailing like a demon in a couple of months (woe betide you).

Indeed, he (and his Buggy) look like extras from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Cheers for the encouragement. One thing I have noticed since starting this hobby is the fast rate at which your stash of unbuilt kits grows...

• Like 1

Good start and some nice imagination used to get the look you wanted, if your using the revell glue then a quick flash over the needle with a lighter clears the blockage.

Dave.

• Like 1

Nice one BeastieBoy73, I built one of these last year, what a hoot!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWC1968 said:

Good start and some nice imagination used to get the look you wanted, if your using the revell glue then a quick flash over the needle with a lighter clears the blockage.

Dave.

Thanks and yes, thanks to the good folks and their advice on here, I heated the needle up and it cleared right away. Thankfully, the drivers head seems to have stopped melting.

• Like 1

re that blocked needle - I have a suitable length of copper wire with a loop in the end of it that I stick down the tube between uses. I find that it keeps it clear with no problems. (I have no use for lighters, so don't have one in the house.)

• Like 2