MGB40

robgizlu

Jamie - Erudite and compelling - I'm sold.  It begs the question as to how a Fawn/hemp shade should have been so associated with "G45"?

I'm embarrassed that I haven't used your line of enamel paints - I'm going to rectify that.  

Is your Colourcoats 507C/G45 at all "Bluey"?

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I'm glad you're convinced :D

Unfortunately this research project is raising more questions than answers about what paints these old samples actually were. What I do know however is they were not labelled when acquired. John Snyder of Synder & Short / ex-White Ensign Models told me they were identified by Alan Raven. They're also old linseed oil based paints and not that colour-stable. There are a few variables in there and numerous opportunities for error to creep in, so I'm quite reluctant to make such a bold statement as to try to explain where the Snyder & Short shades came from.

Colourcoats RN03 / G45 is fairly bluish when compared to a neutral grey. To be honest I am tempted to tweak it again. It is perfectly matched to the Snyder and Short 507C sample, but that in itself measures out at almost 55% LRV, not 45% which is the lightest end of what it should be (some wartime samples were measured on clanky optical equipment at around 40~42% LRV). As such, Snyder & Short and therefore Colourcoats' (and everyone elses' who copied it) 507Cs are too light by a reasonable margin.

Ignoring what peoples' views on scale colour (often interpreted to mean pouring half a tin of white into every colour), what we see as important with the RN shades is that the LRVs are correct relative to each other such that the tonal contrast between colours is correct.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Well - I'm ashamed to say that this has sat for a year :blush::blush:

The Fairmile has sat front of stage (not to mention the Nagmachon - that currently also sits in a holding pattern:()

I've kept it back partly to get my hand in finishing and weathering.  An omen was going to the Avon show yesterday and picking up another RAF ASR launch for the very princely sum of £9;)

The twin Lewis guns are added as are the guardrail stanchions .  I needed to respray the  inner wheelhouse and confess that this build has not had the love shown to it, that it deserves and is a bit shoddy in places.  Lesson learnt.

aa903148-f084-4b2f-823a-6bffdb7546a4.jpg

I completed the hull weathering using oils - always a slightly fraught process and it was so warm that the oils dried far quicker than normal.  "Loose" abandon is the key...

24511743-cb12-4ee8-a1b1-45ddbab39363.jpg

I only use 4 oils of which the most useful are the industrial earth and the faded gray.

b520b9a6-60da-4fe7-8c44-40d03f0b5754.jpg

0a8c38da-939d-4d39-896f-d625286c7c77.jpg

The plan is now to finish this and then the Fairmile B.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 16

Yes, glad you are back on this. I recently picked up the Air Sea Rescue Launch plus the Airfix Vosper, and funnily enough the Avon show had me picking up a further maritime prize or two! I've started the Vosper, and I would like to convert the launch into one of these MGB's at some stage.

Very inspirational stuff!

Terry

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Lesson learnt.

As long as we're breathing we should be learning  …...

Don't put yourself down, that's our job 😉

I have mixed emotions seeing this on the one hand I'm disappointed to see the B on the shelf all be it temporally. I'm also pleased to see 40 get her finishing touches.

Weathering is looking good

Kev

• Like 2

Hi Rob.

Echoing what Kev said, every day that I learn something new is a good day.  

On 06/08/2018 at 14:33, robgizlu said:

... I needed to respray the  inner wheelhouse and confess that this build has not had the love shown to it, that it deserves and is a bit shoddy in places.  Lesson learnt. ...

This is is the risk we all have on our long term builds.  My wife kids me all the time that my builds would finish a lot faster if I didn't redo everything 6 times. :blush:  I've re-painted the hull of my Elco already last week because I noticed a flaw that I missed first time round.  One thing that I still have trouble with is calling a build complete when I know there are 'things' on the build I could have done better.  Usually, most of these 'things' can only be noticed by me. 

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 4

Hi John - it's true isn't it.  We are our own worst critics.  As for complete builds, I think it was Ridley Scott that said about films that they are never really ever  finished so much as abandoned - I kind of think the same about models.  That said the issue with this one is that it was begun several years ago and has been put aside too many times without sufficient Schwerpunkt. 

And I've probably improved or raised my standards:unsure:

Thanks to Seadog and Beefy.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:52 PM, Terry1954 said:

Yes, glad you are back on this. I recently picked up the Air Sea Rescue Launch plus the Airfix Vosper, and funnily enough the Avon show had me picking up a further maritime prize or two! I've started the Vosper, and I would like to convert the launch into one of these MGB's at some stage.

Very inspirational stuff!

Terry

Terry - go for it!!

On 8/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, Courageous said:

What they said.

I take it that you're leaving the cabin glazing out, just wondering whether I should do the same as my ASRL?

Stuart

Hi Stuart - I'll glaze with Krystal Klear after final paint and varnish.  It's easier than masking (you run the risk of knocking into the inside)

On 8/7/2018 at 7:23 PM, longshanks said:

As long as we're breathing we should be learning  …...

Don't put yourself down, that's our job 😉

I have mixed emotions seeing this on the one hand I'm disappointed to see the B on the shelf all be it temporally. I'm also pleased to see 40 get her finishing touches.

Weathering is looking good

Kev

Thanks Kev - Fear not - promise I'll be back to the B soon.  The build has gone on long enough

Rob

• Like 3

Thanks Dan.

The stanchions have their supports added

ffac7c02-b39e-4c1f-b86c-3a4b2569af5f.jpg

And Varnish is applied - I tried the new Mig Ammo "Lucky" Matt - works very well

34342ca9-4fcf-4021-89eb-2306d0904a69.jpg

I had to mask off the windscreen for the supports - I should have done it prior to fitting.

94209744-23f6-4fb8-98ef-6e168c371db3.jpg

and made up some lead wire rope coils - I've previously used natural thread but it's difficult to get it to sit and also t weather it.   This is a compromise - the appearance isn't as convincing but it "sits"

39d37dab-9691-46da-b973-26e9a0177cc3.jpg

I've used Dine EZ line for the depth charge rope holders - note to self: 33mm is what does it!

00a6fcb7-5195-4f6a-a24a-03c36bd01a82.jpg

Oh and the mast is stepped and the windows filled with Kristal Klear.

It's nearly done and will be my first finished model for over 12 months:(

Rob

• Like 11

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:31, robgizlu said:

made up some lead wire rope coils

Looks good from here  Note to self remember this!

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:31, robgizlu said:

I've used Dine EZ line for the depth charge rope holders

Another good idea

She is certainly looking tasty

Kev

• Like 1

Thanks Phil, Stuart and Kev.

Al Gunthwaite's figures are excellent and the detail really comes to life with some primer applied

42b8dac3-674a-468f-8fb3-743bb6760e95.jpg

This week has been spent painting them..

9425aa90-4cd5-4f08-95a2-48fb3fa8e0c9.jpg

Rob

• Like 9

Thanks fellas.

On 19 August 2018 at 10:21 AM, Al Gunthwaite said:

Cracking job on the figures Rob!

Al

Al - keep them coming - they are excellent.  Modelling Coastal Craft in 1/72 would be considerably less rewarding withou them!

I'm going to try and add some resin "Mae Wests" to a couple to imitate some of the figures from the D-day pics that appear in the Fairmile B blog.  That's unless you want to do some!!!!!?

Rob