PBY-5A Catalina "Manu-Tara"

Hi there!!

After introducing myself in the New Members section, this is my first post here.

A bit of background...In Chile, the first flight from continental Chile to Easter Island was carried out by a PBY-5A Catalina baptized "Manu-Tara" of the Chilean Air Force. The flight, made on January 20, 1951 was commanded by captain Roberto Parragué Singer and lieutenants Jose Núñez Rousseau and Alfredo Aguilar. The flight departed from La Serena Air Base traveling for about 3,800 kilometers without landing, to land on a track prepared in advance in Mataveri.

The kit is Academy´s PBY-5A, I had to do some minor modifications to the kit, like closing the huge gap in the nose turrent for the guns, the front undercarriage covers and the tie downs at each side of the nose, the rest is OOB.

Numbers and national emblems were painted using masks. I used only one homemade decal for the "Manu-Tara" logo.

Critics are welcome and I hope you like it.

c6.jpg

Grupo%208%201953%20C.jpg

Catalinas%207.jpg

images.jpg

IMG_20161011_133213.jpg

IMG_20161011_133327.jpg

IMG_20161011_133343.jpg

IMG_20161011_133437.jpg

IMG_20161011_133448%202.jpg

IMG_20161011_133653.jpg

IMG_20161011_133718.jpg

IMG_20161011_133727.jpg

IMG_20161011_133750.jpg

IMG_20161011_133811.jpg

IMG_20161011_133850.jpg

IMG_20161011_133925.jpg

IMG_20161011_133943.jpg

IMG_20161011_133953.jpg

IMG_20161011_134115.jpg

IMG_20161011_134308.jpg

IMG_20161011_134328.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 64

Welcome Andres! Very nice model.

I have a strange relationship with the Catalina - love the aeroplane, love seeing them in 1/1 scale, love seeing other people's models of them, but (and I really can't explain why this is) I feel absolutely no need to build one myself! Yours is lovely - great finish in particular, and a nice, unusual, distinctive colour scheme. Thanks for sharing it with us here.

• Like 1

Ain't that purty? A very nice model indeed.

Seeing as you seem to like them, I'll tell you about the Flying Boats Group Build that we have starting later in the year (September); you're welcome to join in (and so is everyone else, btw.) All the information is here

and if you have any questions about the GB that's the place to ask them. Hopefully we'll see you there!

Hello Andres,

Interesting to see the PBY in the Chilean Colors.

You have turned it into a small jewel. My favorite of the day.

Question; The tractor. Could you give me some more info on this.

Regards, Orion.

What a lovely model and such an interesting scheme too,......the historical content was just the icing on the cake,........great stuff,..well done,

Cheers

Tony

Hi guys!! Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the kind words!!

9 hours ago, kev67 said:

Lovely build and nice eye catching colour scheme, do I see though the one modellers mistake of not adding enough weight to the front 

ohhh so you spotted the barrel!! ajajajja:rofl: Actually I did put a lot of weight inside the fuselage and the engine nacelles, but it wasn´t enough though.... I was affraid of breaking the landing gear again, I had a bad experience with an airfix Cat in the past.

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

Ain't that purty? A very nice model indeed.

Seeing as you seem to like them, I'll tell you about the Flying Boats Group Build that we have starting later in the year (September); you're welcome to join in (and so is everyone else, btw.) All the information is here

and if you have any questions about the GB that's the place to ask them. Hopefully we'll see you there!

Thanks Rob for the invitation! Yes I´d love to join the GB, I have a AR-95 in Chilean markings in mind

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Andres,

Interesting to see the PBY in the Chilean Colors.

You have turned it into a small jewel. My favorite of the day.

Question; The tractor. Could you give me some more info on this.

Regards, Orion.

Orion, the tractor is the old minicraft/hasegawa one wich comes with the T-34 Mentor boxing.

154720-11185-77-pristine.jpg

Cheers!!

• Like 2

What a gorgeous Catalina

It ticks all my boxes too

Great construction

Excellent paint scheme painted beautifully

A fine back story to carry the model forward

And she's a Catalina, how could it fail to be a new favourite for me

Wonderful, thanks for showing it to us

I agree with everone's comments Andres. That's a lovely model. Your self masked Chilean insignia look superb :thumbsup2: .

It's an aviation story that so far I had not heard, with great photos to enrich it. 

Lovely modelling and paintwork and a nice Vignette. 

As an aside, I've been looking for one of those Hasegawa Mentors for ages; it's a nice kit.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Missing text

Very nicely done indeed, especially the not overdone exhaust stains. A scheme, and indeed a flight, that I was not previously aware of. Thanks!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot