1/48 RAF Rescue Wessex HAR2

MickE

Originally my entry to the Wessex group build here is my 1/48 Westland Wessex HAR2. It is the Italeri kit incorporating the Rotorcraft conversion set.

Done1_zpsycbunun8.jpg

Done2_zpssluwiuqh.jpg

Done3_zpshxeuoxuw.jpg

Done4_zps6dzredlx.jpg

Done5_zps55vfj5w3.jpg

Done6_zpsctrcy6bf.jpg

Normally I include the panel lines but after four coats of paint they are a little faint and after the hassles I had building it I didn't want to risk ruining it by scribing them. Mind you looking at pictures of in-service aircraft you can hardly see them.

Mick 

• Like 38

Now that is a good looking Wessex, great skills. Takes me back to my time at RAF Shawbury in the early 90's. Managed to get a flight during training for going to the provinces, most hair raising part was flying under high tension power lines!!!

• Like 1

Impressive build, great model. Love the Wessex and I have two in the stash to build as HAR 2 and HC2 . Can I ask how did you find the Rotor craft conversion and which yellow did you use as it looks really good.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments.

Beefy the Rotor craft set is quite good, the replacement windows are cast with part of the fuselage so you just cut out a hole and glue it in. There are measurements for the hole size but I just lined up the rivets marked on the resin parts with the rivets on the fuselage and scribed round the window parts. The set only supplies one light under the main wheel legs when there should be two. I painted it with Extracolor's RAF Rescue Yellow. I had the Extracrylix paint but it looked a little orangey compared to the Extracolor. I primed with Tamiya white primer however, like I said, it still took 4 coats to get it looking alright.

Mick

Excellent construction/finish.

For me personally, the most beautiful helicopter ever constructed. (The Wessex with turbines.)

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

dammit Mick she looks lovely

I'm glad you went for the frequently seen odd coloured legs scenario too

When the legs went in for maintenance and repair they came out the colour they went in and were only repainted the airframe colour when a major service happened

I will always love the HAR2 version, building mine gave me lots of pleasure, I hope you had as much from yours

Another well done for the conversion set, if I go 48th scale I will be using it for any small window Walter because you showed it off so well

Great Wessex, I love it

• Like 1

Very nice, and good to see it finished.  The SAR Wessex were (usually) immaculate and you have captured that well - blade detail and all.  Congratulations! 

Tim 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the conversion and paint colour Mick, good hear the rotorcraft conversion is as good as it looks. I have a pot of Extracrylix paint but maybe I may get a pot of Extracolour just to be on the safe side. Yellow seems to be one of those awkward colours to spray/paint along side Red and White.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

Hi Perdu I guessed that was the reason for the black leg. I found a picture of XT601 and it had a black stbd leg but then again I found a walkround of XT604 that also had a black stbd leg so I thought that maybe they all did. However all the other yellow Wessex pics I found had yellow legs.

Mick

• Like 1

Thanks Colin

The replacement canopy was still oversize on the top but not as bad as the first one. I followed someone's advice and glued one side first then the other, using epoxy resin. I am glad it is finally done although I have noticed that I need to paint the winch grey and the rear strut on the tail wheel silver.

Mick

• Like 1