Hawker Hurricane MkI DeHavilland propeller but different

mack

Hello,

I would like to build a Hawker Hurricane Mk Ia equipped with a DH propeller - not the "standard one", but the "Spitfire one"; apparently that's the configuration of the 12 machines delivered to Romania.

The Hurricane propellers story was covered in detail here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/&

and it's not my intention to go over it again.

I'm more interested in how to replicate that on a 1/48th scale model starting from the kit that I have - Hasegawa Hurricane Mk.I TRop, ref. 09682. It goes without question that the kit does not contain this configuration.

I've bought the Quickboost (QB 48 625) DH Spitfire propeller intended for the Airfix kit, but the spinner is hugely oversize compared to the Hurricane cowling.

- is the Quickboost part (QB 48 268) intended for the Tamiya Spitfire I & V kit different from the one above (smaller spinner) and consequently suitable for what I want to do?      

- is there a difference between the two Quickboost parts (QB 48 400) and (QB 48 425) - both identically labeled as "Hurricane De Havilland Propeller for Hasegawa kit"?

- is there any known kitbashing option?

Thank you very much for any useful hint or suggestion.

Regards,

Iulian M. 

the OLD tool Airfix Hurricane has the DH Spitfire type, as does the Ark kit,  so they are about in spares boxes.   The new tool Airfix Spitfire I/II alos has multiple props and spinners.

these may have some useful bits of info

one final point, the  Hase Hurricanes have bulged wing tips, they should be flat,  it makes the wing tip lights wrong.

tmchur1a.jpg

hurr4-3.jpg

note how the tips are thin triangles,  seen  in this head on shot.

sh19.jpg

sh21.jpg

from this very useful walkround

PS

you need to remove the tropical vents and the rectangular access panel on the starboard side.(see build links)

You can make 5 spoke wheels by using the 5 spoke hubs from an Eduard Spitfire,  (all kits have 3 types) and drilling out the Hase hubs (which are too small BTW) with a  6 mm drill.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

the OLD tool Airfix Hurricane has the DH Spitfire type, as does the Ark kit,  so they are about in spares boxes.   The new tool Airfix Spitfire I/II alos has multiple props and spinners.

PS

you need to remove the tropical vents and the rectangular access panel on the starboard side.(see build links)

You can make 5 spoke wheels by using the 5 spoke hubs from an Eduard Spitfire,  (all kits have 3 types) and drilling out the Hase hubs (which are too small BTW) with a  6 mm drill.

Thank you for the summary; just bought an Ark kit today and the propeller fits well the Hasegawa nose, although the molding is rough to say at least...

A have a summary with all (I think) particularities for a Romanian Hurricane Mk Ia (the 12 original ones):

- Spitfire DH propeller;

- metal wings;

- early radiator;

- wo rectangular access panel on starboard;

- ring and bead sight;

- windscreen with additional frame and round rear-view mirror;

- early radio mast (round); 

- 5 spoke hubs (bought the Aires replacement wheels for that);

- free castoring tail wheel.

also a list of modifications on the kit (mainly related to fabric representation on rear fuselage). Thanks for pointing out the wing tip issue and the tropical vents (side of the cockpit hub?). Hope to start the construction soon.

Regards,

Iulian M. 

Hi lulian

Not sure what you mean by the early radiator,   the Hase fabric is tricky to fix,  I have a part done fuselage.

One other detail, the Hase upper cowling is a bit flat,

tmchur1a.jpg

compare curve at rear of exhausts

sh06.jpg

but if you bend the plastic in the centre of the cowling pieces, you can reshape the upper cowling line,  you will get a small gap , under 1mm,  but that's easy to fill and you  then  have the correct upper  cowling line.

The tropical vents are the two vertical lines in the metal panel under  the cockpit,  visible on the built kit, but not on the Sea Hurricane.

terryprendergasthurricaneburma.jpg

Do you want more information on the fuselage fabric fixes?

I have a bedtime  story read now....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi lulian

Not sure what you mean by the early radiator,   the Hase fabric is tricky to fix,  I have a part done fuselage.

The tropical vents are the two vertical lines in the metal panel under  the cockpit,  visible on the built kit, but not on the Sea Hurricane.

Do you want more information on the fuselage fabric fixes?

I have a bedtime  story read now....

As an image counts a 1000 words; that's an early radiator for me:

radiator_zpsfq0cq7wt.jpg

For sure I'll count on your support the moment my construction starts.

Regards,

Iulian

Hi Iulian

OK, that's a  Mk.I radiator.

The Mk.II radiator deeper, as extra cooling was needed with the Merlin XX engine, and included a circular oil cooler core as well.

cheers

T