P-mask Question

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

Hi Mike, 

The p-mask are vinyl like montex. 

Great for flat squares/shapes but not so great for tiny curved windshields bits over a period of time. The smaller they are the more they want to 'straighten out'

Some gentle heat during initial application helps them stay put. (Hairdrier)

And a cursory rubdown with your thumb everynow and then/between finishing layers when spraying to make sure they haven't lifted a touch helps to prevent any unwanted spray getting in 👍🏿

I just used a vinyl p-mask on the main canopy section of a 1/48 Spitfire without any problems. Left less residue than the Tamiya tape I used to fill in the gaps. Didn't leave it on for more than a couple of days though.

I had a nightmare using these P masks on the Airfix Whitley. I didn't heat them up as didn't think of it, but they wouldn't come off without leaving lots of glue on the surface and in places, the vinyl was that stuck, it torn trying to remove it. Decided to stick with eduard masks since as they come off easily. In fact, just bought a load from you Mike!

43 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I had a nightmare using these P masks on the Airfix Whitley. I didn't heat them up as didn't think of it, but they wouldn't come off without leaving lots of glue on the surface and in places, the vinyl was that stuck, it torn trying to remove it. Decided to stick with eduard masks since as they come off easily. In fact, just bought a load from you Mike!

I know and thanks. Eduard masks generally are the best in my experience but they don't cover every subject and on some models, you really want to use masks!

Actually Mr Woody, I've posted a topic in our vendors section and I would appreciate feedback on it from a customer like yourself.

thanks

Mike

28 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

I know and thanks. Eduard masks generally are the best in my experience but they don't cover every subject and on some models, you really want to use masks!

Actually Mr Woody, I've posted a topic in our vendors section and I would appreciate feedback on it from a customer like yourself.

thanks

Mike

I'll pop over now Mike, only compliments to make :)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 3/1/2017 at 1:53 AM, Mikemx said:

Has anyone tried P-Mask canopy masks? If so are they Kabuki tape (like Eduard) or vinyl (like Montex)? Also how do the compare to Eduard masks?

I see that some people have used them okay but in my opinion they are rubbish. Chapter and verse here............ a controlled trial against Eduard masks.

If you really wanted to use a mask and it was only made by P-mask, you could stick them on Tamiya tape, cut them out and use them without having their incompetently made glue touch your canopy.

• Like 1