De Havilland Mosquito Fb. Mk VI - 1/32 by Tamiya

Hello,

this is my new project: Tamiya's wonderful kit of the De Havilland Mosquito Fb. MK VI in big scale 1/32.

The kit consists of more then 690 plastic parts, 2 frets of photo etched parts, two sheets with decals, screws, magnetos, optional clear engine covers, big mounting instruction and info booklets.... a huge kit with so many wonderful small details... and small and smaller parts :)

x3rcq6pg.jpg

Additionally I will use the photo etched parts from Eduard for the exterieur, and some colored ones for the interior. Also the fabric seat belts and masks for the canopy, some brass barrels for the guns and the Eduard resin kits of the Brassin series for the two gun mounts as I want to show these partly in open position.

Some additional decals for the stencils and some new markings with wonderful nose art are plannes as well .... 

I hope that this is an interesting new project for you! 

Cheers
Michael

• Like 3

Hi Michael,

This is looks like a great project. Would you be interested in joining the De Havilland Group Build with this? If so I'll get it moved into that area of the forum for you.

Here is a link to the DH GB area so you can see what's in there and the rules etc

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/584-de-havilland-mega-gb/

Edited by DAG058

Hello,

I have started with the cockpit of the Mosquito. Most of the kit parts are glued together. I have built several separate subassemblys for easier painting.
Most of the switches, displays, etc. I have removed already so that I could add the Eduard colored etched parts after the painting.

Next I will add some more wiring at the displays, at the bottom and at the walls.

6mydy472.jpg

ibc9aklj.jpg

ycrdhedx.jpg

mfnfodbg.jpg

uoseu8gr.jpg

9pz29dry.jpg

myigffj4.jpg

c9yapu4e.jpg

luhye3bf.jpg

txmruysm.jpg

2kke3sq9.jpg

Cheers

Micha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The separately mounted assemblys were primered in black next. After that a glazing layer of Lifecolor's British Interior Green was sprayed on everything, keeping the black shining through as a kind of shadow.
The green received some highlights and shadows with base color mixed with dark brown, and base color mixed with beige.
After that all the small details were painted with a fine brush in its different colors... 

The displays were all added next. These were wonderful colored etched parts from Eduard, also the switches, levers, etc. Also some first decals were added now. 
A layer of matt clear coat on everyhing followed nedt to give the etched parts the same look as the painted ones. The matt surface received some shiny clear coat sprayed in a cloudy way on everything to give it a light shiny optic.

Dark brown oil color washing over everything followed next and gave the parts a used optic. Black washing around the details accented these a bit more.

All the displays received some dots of Micro Crystal Klear next to simulate the glass of the displays.

Next follow the seats and the seat belts made of HGW's fabric and etched parts.... lot of small parts... 

nnn9ejrv.jpg

6e3vis7k.jpg

rtry2quk.jpg

3kotkqqc.jpg

isclpxs6.jpg

2rhswadg.jpg

zymbr7de.jpg

yg8klzab.jpg

335wv5t2.jpg

pcqq4awj.jpg

jqw6hsrv.jpg

cjwr76eq.jpg

The first of the two Rolls-Royce Merlin engines was built parallel. It is highly detailed and constsis of a lot of small and smalles, super detailed plastic parts. I love this engine! 
Tamiya also provides some etched parts for it, two further etched parts from Eduard immitate the wiring. More additional parts is not necessary....

pet4mdlv.jpg

nmp8w6jy.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 3

Hello,

the seat belts from Eduard/HGW are added. These are very funny to built. Small and smaller parts .... but the result is worth doing it, compared to etched parts.

I have added a brown wash after it. Then I have put together all components of the interior .... 

wkfw9l4w.jpg

6mwpgnmo.jpg

y6q89ct9.jpg

4fzvzztq.jpg

4kntsbkd.jpg

Next follows the armament in front of the cockpit ...

Cheers
Micha

• Like 2

Hello,

the finished cockpit is installed in the two halfes of the hull... the hull glued together and the seam sanded smooth.

The tail wheel area is also painted in interior green, the wheel itself follws later after the painting of the hull.

The elevator unit is installed in lowered position and glued in place too. 

3vvm5uwg.jpg

kmebioa2.jpg

djgt32b4.jpg

l68rtstu.jpg

7x4f2qxm.jpg

7x4f2qxm.jpg

Next follow the two engines ...

Cheers
Micha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

the engines are finished and the etched parts added. The etched wirings received some white glue on it to get some thickness.

The finished engines were airbrush painted in black, then received some washings in dark red and beige.

Then some silver pigments were added on the complete engines ... some leaking oil follows later.

zoiae3nm.jpg

l4x3xbnm.jpg

ctimj4rg.jpg

hq2e3rbq.jpg

oxb3cz5g.jpg

The parts for the engine mounts were painted separately, then the engine mounts were put together and weathered with oil colors, then the engines installed (glued at the front, screwed at the back).
Some further parts, wiring and small stuff will follow ...

w7yrvkzk.jpg

qunha5dd.jpg

89kauy67.jpg

7axdhfv5.jpg

ipr4rjeh.jpg

The wings were put together, etched parts for the engine cooler added and painted in green, white and dark grey/silver mix. After that all weathered also with some oil washings.

2uuhrdxj.jpg

ll6c9zds.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 1

Hello,

The finished Rolls-Royce Merlin engines were installed into the engine mounts which were completely painted and weathered before. Some further pipes and details were added next.

The wings were finished and some instruments for the cockpit added and detailed with Eduard's etched parts. The wings were screwed and glued to the hull next. It is a perfect fittment! 

After the installation of the wings the engine mounts were glued to the wings and further pipes between wing and engine added. 

xxqmkurr.jpg

idbxgscn.jpg

9vnzlx3y.jpg

u4b24w6k.jpg

xu759wat.jpg

24kfbinu.jpg

aq2nrlqw.jpg

sbfvynld.jpg

6gcra6d9.jpg

nvzjdav6.jpg

adb2p7ag.jpg

vu3md3ek.jpg

Next will be the gun mounts on the lower side of the fuselage ...

Cheers
Micha

• Like 4

Hello,

the main guns under the fuselage are finished, painted, weathered and installed in the weapons bay. The first washing is added as well (that's why it is looking glossy, wet).

Next following the two bombs over the tank ...

og7xzw5z.jpg

e5cjc227.jpg

phzyh6i3.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have finished the gun bay (bombs will follow later), also the engine covers were finished and added. These remain removable, mounted only with some magnets and clips.

The landing flaps installed as well, also some bomb racks under the wings.

ft7bujid.jpg

d4imuy8o.jpg

65icertp.jpg

j8ei24zp.jpg

5d46p2sd.jpg

aji2qi7g.jpg

f9kq279j.jpg

zlgnc5u6.jpg

5ux8mpc4.jpg

oevjxmr5.jpg

vclxaxrm.jpg

goyoygbj.jpg

Next step will be the masking of all open areas, so that the painting of the outside could follow next.

The final details such as covers of the landing gear bay, the landing gear itself, cockpit, doors and further small stuff follows later.

Cheers,
Micha

• Like 2

Hello,

started the painting during the past few days...

First a layer of black primer on everything ...

84x4hbd5.jpg

84x4hbd5.jpg

3obwrto8.jpg

... then a layer of Royal Airforce Grey of Lifecolor, not fully covering the black primer ... 

2uvejz6c.jpg

us67twjy.jpg

x8azccqp.jpg

mmswcula.jpg

... Then masking the camo with Blutac and Tape ... and spraying the olive green color (also Lifecolor) ...

q25h6kl5.jpg

uz35ek3w.jpg

8z4eimr6.jpg

chmdj93r.jpg

e6642h89.jpg

... after a layer of clear coat the decals followed. As I want to built a Canadian version with wonderful nose art I chose some decals from the aftermarket.
These fit perfect.  Then feeled 1000s of stencils followed. Some were used from the Tamiya kit, some others from the aftermarket set as well.

oxyrxanb.jpg

tx8mgqsa.jpg

i9hzakk2.jpg

ckqgshjf.jpg

djax2ilb.jpg

Now some drying time, then clear coat matt, then oil colors ... 

Cheers

Micha

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @ all,

the Mosquito recieved its undercarriage... silver painted with black and brown oil colors. The multipiece wheels were painted in dark rubber, then dusted with grey and beige pigments.

imr4pua9.jpg

6kr9wu7d.jpg

vq67yvrp.jpg

The bombs were painted in olive green, then lightend with yellow, then decals and clear coat and oil colors ... then mounting. Some etched parts still missing on the pics.

97vw4mk6.jpg

ryunc5tv.jpg

The propellers were glued togehter, then the tops painted in a light yellow and masked before the rest received its black paint. The spinners were painted in silver, the covers in light grey as the rest of the fuselage.

Some silver scratches and damages were added with a sponge and some oil color was used for weathering.

After that all the removable parts were mounted, engines closed for the moment and the exhaust gas sprayed with the airbrush and black, grey and brown colors.

ev8pvze9.jpg

wr8wvznn.jpg

9945g7ob.jpg

jmniuo3x.jpg

ii7otyqx.jpg

7eo2338x.jpg

2zh3ha7z.jpg

lnkk5o9n.jpg

5wmvhqd8.jpg

Cheers
Micha

• Like 1

That's looking very nice indeed.

I'm building the same, so picking up much-needed tips. I like what you did with the black primer, and then allowing it to show through randomly - making the fuselage look weathered - really effective.

In fact all the weathering/paint looks great...